• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

which pace attack would you pick?

ReallyCrazy

Banned
On the one hand you have Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Imran Khan in their primes.

And on the other, you have McGrath, Gillespie and Lee in their primes.

I'd go with the formern coz they would kick the aussies ass. :)

krkode

State Captain
That's not so fair. You're comparing three of the world's most established bowlers (in their prime!) to 1 great bowler and 2 less-great bowlers who haven't even see their prime. :mellow:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't think the first 3 ever played together when in their primes at the same time though!

tooextracool

International Coach
would take someone really stupid to pick an attack with b.lee over waqar,wasim and imran in their primes.
but then again there are quite a few aussies on these forums

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
^ Are you calling them stupid, or just saying they'd choose the Australian team for bias lol :p

Clearly I'd choose Wasim, Waqar and Imran.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
tooextracool said:
would take someone really stupid to pick an attack with b.lee over waqar,wasim and imran in their primes.
but then again there are quite a few aussies on these forums
... and I would certainly not be that stupid. But the question itself is flawed. It's as valid as comparing Lindwall, Lillee and McGrath to Sami, Ahktar and Waqar. Loaded and pointless.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
ReallyCrazy said:
On the one hand you have Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Imran Khan in their primes.

And on the other, you have McGrath, Gillespie and Lee in their primes.

I'd go with the formern coz they would kick the aussies ass. :)
It is a no-brainer.
I would go with the Aussies.

Er, you did mean Dennislil Lee, didn't you?

ReallyCrazy

Banned
luckyeddie said:
It is a no-brainer.
I would go with the Aussies.

Er, you did mean Dennislil Lee, didn't you?
hehehe

Linda said:
I'd have McGrath, Wasim and Gillespie :D
very intelligent but the only thing is I'd still have Imran over McGrath and Waqar over Gillespie!

masterblaster

International Captain
Wasim, Waqar, McGrath, Gillespie

Now that would be an awesome attack.

A genuine tearaway in Waqar (in his prime), a swing king in Wasim, an accuracy dynamo in McGrath and with the intensity and heart of Gillespie.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Tough choice, if you ask me.

You have the West Indian pace quartet, all of whom bowled very fast. There was the aggressive and extra-fast Marshall, the cunning Andy Roberts, the clean, almost silent action of Holding, then the really high bounce of Joel Garner. Now that was one great pace attack.

Then you had the trio of Wasim, Waqar and Imran, all three of whom could bowl fast and get good swing.

You have the pair of Willis and Botham, then Ambrose and Walsh, then McGrath and Gillespie (and also Warne to attack alongside them) and to some extent even Srinath and Prasad (in England), but none were as effective as the West Indian quartet or the Pakistani trio, or the pair of Lillee and Thomson.

V Reddy

International Debutant
I would pick the Australian attack. Pakistan attack was more of individual brilliance than team effort while the opposite can be said of the Aus one imo. Under 200 scores have become a norm against Aus in the recent past while the same can't be said with the Pakistan attacks. It is coinciding with the rise in the standard of batting which makes it even more commendable.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
masterblaster said:
Wasim, Waqar, McGrath, Gillespie

Now that would be an awesome attack.

A genuine tearaway in Waqar (in his prime), a swing king in Wasim, an accuracy dynamo in McGrath and with the intensity and heart of Gillespie.
McGrath, perhaps you have an argument, but how can anyone pick Gillespie over Imran Khan? :huh:

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
McGrath, perhaps you have an argument, but how can anyone pick Gillespie over Imran Khan? :huh:
hes an aussie...for him ponting is a better batsman than lara and mcgrath is the greatest fast bowler in test history :wacko: