• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best left-arm seamer since Akram retired

Who's the best since Wasim?

• Vaas

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Zaheer

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Pathan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Johnson

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Boult

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Wagner

• Starc

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Amir

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

• Total voters

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dropped catches or not. 44 wickets @ 37 with a SR of 80 are the figures of a poor mans Chris Martin, especially considering 9 off his 16 post-ban Tests were in English, Australian & New Zealand conditions.

Even if you pretend 6 of those dropped catches were taken, he's still averaging 33, which is well......... Chris Martin standard.
He had 11 dropped catches since his comeback at the end of the Australian tour.

OverratedSanity

Amir's well past the point where his poor statistics can be explained by dropped catches, bad luck etc. Been one and a half years since his comeback FFS. He's only posted good numbers in WI.
Nah, he had a ridiculous number of drops, it was anomalous even by Pakistani standards. It's pretty obvious his numbers will improve imo.

morgieb

I don't see why that would help one's average. Quite the opposite in fact.
Yeah. And that English series saw an awful lot of runs scored from memory. New Zealand's been flat lately too, but tbf that series really wasn't.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
This is how Vaas defended 8 runs off the last over against Australia, with Bevan and Symmo batting.

I mean to say Amir is better than Vaas is just obnoxious. Vaas was such a delight and a true master of left arm bowling.

Amir just comes in an bowls couple of breathtaking deliveries for 500 balls, thats it!

Amir is easily the most overrated out of the lot.

I rate Starc,Boult,Wagner from the current lot to be higher than Amir..\

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean to say Amir is better than Vaas is just obnoxious.

Vaas was such a delight and a true master of left arm bowling.
I'd have thought a true master might manage a better average than 29.5

Amir just comes in an bowls couple of breathtaking deliveries for 500 balls, thats it!

Amir is easily the most overrated out of the lot.

I rate Starc,Boult,Wagner from the current lot to be higher than Amir..\
I think I'll wait a few years to judge Amir. He certainly has displayed the raw talent in the past but hasn't yet put it together. But he may yet. Jimmy Anderson averaged 36 after 33 tests.

Himannv

International Coach
Vaas has had the best career. If you consider ODIs as well, he probably stands out in this list. However, Johnson at his peak was better than pretty much everyone on the list.

Boult will surpass them all IMO.

cnerd123

likes this
The Vaas hate on this forum is disgusting.

Get in the sea, all of you.
Look, I love Vaas. He's a legend. I admired him growing up. He has a beautiful action, swung it both ways, could land it on a dime, and have a cutter to boost. And as he got older and slower, he got wiser and cannier. He could bowl all day. He could bowl in all conditions. And he could bat too. Absolute ATG, incredible cricketer.

But he's not a better bowler than Amir is. He has the better performances, the better achievements, the better record. But he is just not a better bowler than Amir is.

Daemon

Vaas was so gun. Showed you that you can still be a very successful bowler even at 130kph.

Crap quality but worth it to watch the cheating Australians at it again on the 2nd ball of the match.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Alot of people singing Chaminda Vaas' praises here, yet he's only gotten two voters so far... and I was one of them.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Boult on record, Starc on skill (slightly better skill-wise compared to Boult, when he's fully fit). Amir needs more work on his outswing.

smash84

The Tiger King
Vaas was pretty good but the folks on here seem to be making him out to be another wasim.

I loved Vaas as a bowler too but let's not kid ourselves regarding his skill level. He was extremely canny and accurate, with an excellent ability to move the ball off the wicket but his pace really did work against him. ***** might have made a comment in the vein of chappelli but for Vaas that really did hold true. He did wreck NZ a fair few times I think but other than that he wasn't an ATG. He was very very good in ODIs though. So people might be mixing up some of his ridiculous ODI performances with his test bowling.

Secondly, Amir has had so many catches dropped off of him since his return that its not even funny. Much higher drops than the usual Pakistan. Variety wise I don't know who i would rate higher. Vaas could do a lot that Amir couldn't (at least in terms of cutters and slower deliveries) but Vaas couldn't bring the ball into the batsmen or make it holds its line at the speed that amir can.. He troubles the best in the world (although on his return he doesn't yet have the numbers to show for it, partly due to dropped catches, and partly because he hasn't been as good as he used to be) which wasn't much the case with Vaas.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
peak wise probably Johnson, career wise so far Boult has been pretty good and Starc is getting better i think. Zaheer Khan could have been much better if he didn't have all those fitness issues. Hard to choose but for consistency I might have gone with Boult but Johnson probably the most memorable in this list, so i will go with him

Gob

International Coach
Boult on record, Starc on skill (slightly better skill-wise compared to Boult, when he's fully fit). Amir needs more work on his outswing.
Don't know how Boult's career is better on record. Starc averages 27.54 while striking at 48.4 compared to Boult's 28.79 at 58.1 with 3 less five fers.

Spark

Global Moderator
Johnson's overall career record is pretty underrated IMO. Average 28 is good, SR of 51 is ATG. He had quite a few years where he just found ways to take wickets basically everywhere but England pretty consistently with that angle across the right hander and clever use of cutters and slower balls. It's kind of interesting that, before that summer, no one really thought of him as the human cannon that he became.

Starc will be hard to rate. People who watch him a lot will have a tendency to be surprised by how good his overall numbers will seem IMO, because he often takes wickets despite looking really mediocre (like this series).

Kirkut

International Regular
Amir is a good bowler but not as good as he was hyped up to be. To be honest even BK looks more threatening than Amir now that his pace is up to 85 mph. Maybe we expected a bit too much from him, or let's wait and see how things go for him.

smash84

The Tiger King
Amir has been nowhere near as he was pre ban tbh but he hasn't been as bad as people just looking at stats are making him out to be. The numbers have been much worse than he's bowled. Probably 20 chances have gone down on his bowling since his return. And its not the half chances I am talking about. Its the regulation slip catches and such.