• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting at 3

TNT

Banned
How important is it for your best batsman to bat at 3.

How much confidence must a player have to bat at 3.

Is making runs batting at 3 more valuable to the team.

Do you rate a batsman higher if he is prepared to bat at 3.

Spark

Global Moderator
No, Joe Root is not a lesser batsman because he doesn't bat 3, to answer the obvious actual intent of this thread.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, Joe Root is not a lesser batsman because he doesn't bat 3, to answer the obvious actual intent of this thread.
But would he be considered an even better batsman if he batted at 3 and had identical numbers? The answer is probably yes imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
But would he be considered an even better batsman if he batted at 3 and had identical numbers? The answer is probably yes imo.
It would be such a marginal benefit that it's not worth the risk that he could get notably worse, if it's not his natural position.

TNT

Banned
Nothing to do with Root, you have mistaken me for someone else. Besides even Steve Smith doesn't bat at 3.

Its not about any particular batsman, its about the position. There is no need to discuss any batsman just the position if you are able.

cnerd123

likes this
I batted at 3 earlier this season. My first time ever batting above 9. I slogged 23 off 21 balls as we chased down 244 to win in 34 overs. Hit my first ever league-cricket six.

It's the best position in the world IMO.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Tendulkar, Lara, Compton, G. Chappell, Kohli and Root all play(ed) at 4. Williamson, Sangakarra, Bradman, Ponting play(ed) at 3. Wally Hammond played marginally more innings at 4 than 3 - Smith also. Border played almost everywhere. Most of these could be said to be their respective nations' best batsmen by a distance. Is there any pattern here? No. Just preference - and quality of the remaining team - I suppose.

Both are the two stroke-making slots and on the rare occasions when it hasn't gone ****-up early with your openers you'd bat the same in either but if you lose an early wicket, three becomes a quasi 'opener' so a better new ball batsmen may prefer this while 4 has the extra protection against the strike bowler/new ball and may find himself playing with the middle order.

Bijed

International Regular
Tbh with England recently, batting at 4 has been fairly equivalent to batting at 3 for most other teams.

TNT

Banned
What is the thinking of the batsman though, if you are the captain would you want your best at three or do you let the batsmen sort it out between themselves.

cnerd123

likes this
There are so many different schools of thought tho. Like anything with cricket, if you're looking for an absolute answer, you're wasting your time.

Some teams carry three openers and arranged them from 1-3, and none of them may be the 'best' batsmen in the team. Some team's best batsmen are masters of playing slower bowling, so are kept deeper in the lineup. Some like pace, so go up at 3. Some batsmen prefer, mentally, going out as early as possible. Some prefer to come out later. Some lineups are fragile and would prefer their best batsmen somewhere in the middle as a result, while some have strong middle orders so send their best in at 3.

There is no real answer here. Not unless you have an agenda in mind.

TNT

Banned

Why are you so paranoid, my agenda is to find out other posters opinions on how they view the number three position.

I did report the post from Spark who jumped into bait me and derail the thread but I have since realised that he is a moderator so that was a waste of my time.

The only time I have ever mentioned Root is when I selected him at five for my team of the 2010's, I have never posted anything about any batsman from any team, search my history to satisfy your paranoia, which is something Spark could have done before deliberately setting out to bait me.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1) How important is it for your best batsman to bat at 3.

2) How much confidence must a player have to bat at 3.

3) Is making runs batting at 3 more valuable to the team.

4) Do you rate a batsman higher if he is prepared to bat at 3.
1) Best batsman should bat where he feels most comfortable
2) Implies batsmen must have more confidence to bat at 3 than lower which is a faulty premise imo
3) No
4) No

cnerd123

likes this
Why are you so paranoid, my agenda is to find out other posters opinions on how they view the number three position.

I did report the post from Spark who jumped into bait me and derail the thread but I have since realised that he is a moderator so that was a waste of my time.

The only time I have ever mentioned Root is when I selected him at five for my team of the 2010's, I have never posted anything about any batsman from any team, search my history to satisfy your paranoia, which is something Spark could have done before deliberately setting out to bait me.
who are you again?

TNT

Banned
1)

2) Implies batsmen must have more confidence to bat at 3 than lower which is a faulty premise imo
There must be a reason for a batsman to prefer batting at 4 or 5 than batting at three. From my experience playing it had a lot to do with confidence but that was only grade cricket.

srbhkshk

International Captain
3 is a fairly important position, 2 down for nothing is a poor - poor situation for the team. I quite like India's method here (Dravid before Sachin , Pujara before Kohli), i.e. have a slightly lesser batsman overall at 3 but one who is more suitable towards dead serious defense if need be. Would I want Tendulkar / Kohli to bat 3 if the other two were not available, honestly can't say.

TNT

Banned
3 is a fairly important position, 2 down for nothing is a poor - poor situation for the team. I quite like India's method here (Dravid before Sachin , Pujara before Kohli), i.e. have a slightly lesser batsman overall at 3 but one who is more suitable towards dead serious defense if need be. Would I want Tendulkar / Kohli to bat 3 if the other two were not available, honestly can't say.
Do you think that by having a slightly lesser batsman at three is giving some ground to the bowlers though.Teams always use their best bowlers first, that goes without saying, is it a mistake to not do it with your batsmen though.

Spark

Global Moderator
There are so many different schools of thought tho. Like anything with cricket, if you're looking for an absolute answer, you're wasting your time.

Some teams carry three openers and arranged them from 1-3, and none of them may be the 'best' batsmen in the team. Some team's best batsmen are masters of playing slower bowling, so are kept deeper in the lineup. Some like pace, so go up at 3. Some batsmen prefer, mentally, going out as early as possible. Some prefer to come out later. Some lineups are fragile and would prefer their best batsmen somewhere in the middle as a result, while some have strong middle orders so send their best in at 3.

I think so long as you're careful about putting your best player at 6, where they're at risk of batting long periods with the tail, which is a skill in itself that many players don't have, it makes no real difference. Clarke moving from 5 to 4 made the team worse, not better. Smith only bats 3 when Khawaja isn't there, Root is clearly comfortable at 4, Kohli ditto. Some players are simply more suited to certain positions than others; you don't weaken your strength to get a purely theoretical covering up of a weakness.