• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test Team Ever?

Who were the greatest test team ever?

• England 1928-29

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Australia 1948

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • England 1954/55

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • South Africa 1970

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • West Indies 1984

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Australia 2000

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Other - Please State

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Sorry, got mixed-up with Loxton and McCool.
Meant McCool - an all-rounder too often forgotten in the shadow of Miller - is hardly ever mentioned alongside Harvey.
I certainly don't think Loxton was shabby, though - not as good as Harvey, obviously - but certainly more than "only in the team until something better came along".
i will let you off then

C_C

International Captain
With regards great teams, you can only adapt if you're given things to adapt to - the team I'm referring to played a handful of games at most together.
That team got a fair fight from the International wanderers and later on by the rebel WI team.
I consider the Saffie team from late 60s/early 70s as a team that MIGHT'VE given the Windies a run for its money or be the clear #2 team like the saffies in mid-late 90s......but the fact remains that what they MIGHT'VE done is a speculation and speculation can never match up to raw hard facts which are the achievements of various other teams and individuals.
I think Rice, Pollock(both of em), Barry Richards, Cook, Jennings, Le Roux etc. could've been extremely successful test players but fact remains we dont know and for all we know a few of them could've been underachievers like many talented cricketers.
talent doesnt equate to performance.

C_C

International Captain
LongHopCassidy said:
The Windies in 1975/6 (counts as mid 70's, no?) were hammered 5-1 by the Australians of that time.
And that was the last series they lost till they got robbed in NZ 79/80....so the last serie they lost was almost after 20 years to the same foe.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Looking back at the 2nd half of the 1970's it really should have been a great era for test cricket but for the loss of players to Packer. I know we all look back at our teen years as being golden eras, but in 1976/77 we had the rare sight of three very strong sides at the same time, which really hasn't happened very often. We all remember Aus, and WI really picked up in that season with the emergence of Garner & Croft, but the side that's easily forgotten is Pakistan, who had some titanic struggles with the other two. Aus were a great side, but their batters clearly didn't fancy Imran in the drawn series. Happy days!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And, for once, England weren't a shoddy outfit either.
As it was, they looked even better than they were due to the Packer schism.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
And, for once, England weren't a shoddy outfit either.
As it was, they looked even better than they were due to the Packer schism.
True. By 1977, we were OK, especially once Boycs deigned to make himself available again. Our bowling was rather better than our batting though.
And yes, Packer helped our results enormously against Pakistan & Australia, even if we had lost a few players too. One of my "what if's" is whether Woolmer would have replaced Brearley captain in 1980 if he hadn't gone missing with Packer, and what our side would have been like if that had happened. Pure conjecture, of course ........

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How would Australia have fared in The Ashes if Warne and McGrath were missing instead of Gough and Thorpe... interesting thought, I think.
Cricket is full of what-ifs, but, sadly, Packer "Supertests" happened and we'll never know what'd have gone differently if they hadn't. Same thing with if Apartheid had never been... or if it'd been stamped-on 20 years earlier.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
How would Australia have fared in The Ashes if Warne and McGrath were missing instead of Gough and Thorpe... interesting thought, I think.
Cricket is full of what-ifs, but, sadly, Packer "Supertests" happened and we'll never know what'd have gone differently if they hadn't. Same thing with if Apartheid had never been... or if it'd been stamped-on 20 years earlier.
Well of course. But there is a bit more to the possible consequences of my Woolmer musings than just one series - we wouldn't have had Botham as captain, Brearley's return in '81 and possibly the Willis years either. But I do appreciate that sort of conjecture is more interesting to those of us who were there at the time (some of us, anyway) and utterly irrelevant to those who weren't.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
True - I'd never even thought about the possibilities of Bob Woolmer being captain!
Well, it wasn't talked about at the time, so I am being wise after the event. But he was a fixture in the side in 1977, not with world class performances, but good enough to have taken 2 or 3 hundreds off the Australians in 1975 & 1977. It's now obvious that he has a pretty good cricketing brain, so I reckon he'd have got the job instead of Beefy in 1980 assuming he'd stayed in the side. But as we said, it's all if's and maybe's.

The other interesting one, FWIW, is the story that Boycott had been offered the vice captaincy to come back under Greig in the 1976/7 Indian tour. If he'd accepted it, Brearley wouldn't have even been in the side and Boycs would have taken over from Greig after Packer hit the fan. I'll leave it to you to rewrite 1981 and all that ...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Precisely - the consequences of our actions are so diverse, so intertwinable, that you can never talk about things for very long.
Looking back from a historical POV, I'd simply say I'd not change a thing.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
That is like saying averages are the ONLY way to judge a batsman.

Alan Border was better than Viv Richards. 8-)
Erm, don't know how you can come to that so definately. There is more than your opinion that counts, you know.