Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which team was better? Windies of Early 80s or the current Aussie Team?

Cricket Spectator

Which team was better? Windies of Early 80s or the current Aussie Team?

I would like to read people's opinion of which was a better unit. The mighty Windies of Clive Lloyd and Viv Richards or the current Aussie team. Let the opinions begin!!!

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    We've covered this a few times before (but what haven't we..)

In short, I'm of the opinion that it's the West Indies side because they had a stronger bowling attack and that bowlers win games.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by mkamdar
    I would like to read people's opinion of which was a better unit. The mighty Windies of Clive Lloyd and Viv Richards or the current Aussie team. Let the opinions begin!!!

I saw both....i would go with the Aussies (although I think they were at a peak say 18 months ago)...certainly Australia are more dominant in this era than teh WI's were,and I think the Aussies have a better balance to the bowling (thanks to Warne) and have a deeper batting line up(thanks to Gilchrist)...its a tough one to call though.

I have a feeling that the WI's of the 80's may not have been so successful now due to the pitches
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    We've covered this a few times before (but what haven't we..)

All Ausssie will pick Australia, and all Non Aussies will pick WI.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz

well i would hope all of us are a bit more objective than that

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    well i would hope all of us are a bit more objective than that
    Nope. I'm afraid not.

Think they both were roughly equal in ability and achievements but one team is Australian.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!

I'll go for Ponting.... I mean, Australia.
    Seriously, if it was the Australian team which played against India, then that's a no-brainer - the Windies hands down. Throw in McGrath and Warne and it's very, very close between the two.

Mind you, the South Africa team of 1970 would slaughter both of them.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

PY
    I was about to comment that as a team they might deserve a mention but I never saw them so I can't really comment.

But from all accounts, they might well have proven themselves to have been THE best team of them all.

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar

I'm a New Zealander who loves taking every opportunity to make fun of my Aussie friends in any possible way, but jokes aside, I think that 50 years from now people will remember the Australian teams that included the Waugh brothers, McGrath, Warne, Ponting and Gilchrist (to name a very few) as quite possibly the best group of fantastic individuals to have played in the history of cricket.

Of course, for all we know, ten to twenty years from now we could see a team from Bangladesh or even Zimbabwe dominating the world scene and breaking all the now-Australian records, and the Australian team and the West Indies team of the 80's will both be lost in time.
    REMEMBER: A couple of years in therapy, you'll get over it.

Proud to be a member of the CW Colts

State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar
    I have seen the Windies team of the 80s.... No question that the Windies of the eighties were superior to the current Aussies .The one prime reason for that is that the Windies of the 80s beat everybody everywhere. There were no sub-continent debacles or anything of the sort.They thrashed everybody everywhere equally, which this Australian team hasn't been able to do even at its peak with Warne, McGrath and everybody else. And that says a lot about the quality of the team.
    Last edited by aussie_beater; 29-04-2004 at 12:27 PM.
    Flames are welcome, but beware of the *Backdraft *

Quote Originally Posted by aussie_beater
    I have seen the Windies team of the 80s.... No question that the Windies of the eighties were superior to the current Aussies .The one prime reason for that is that the Windies of the 80s beat everybody everywhere. There were no sub-continent debacles or anything of the sort.They thrashed everybody everywhere equally, which this Australian team hasn't been able to do even at its peak with Warne, McGrath and everybody else. And that says a lot about the quality of the team.
    not quite true....WI never did beat NZ in a series in NZ in the 80's (lost 1-0 and drew 1-1)..and also the Indian team of the last couple of years knocks spots off India in the 80's so a comparison isnt really valid...and lets not forget Australia have recently hammered Sri Lanka in Sril lanka (and not many do that) and also have tamed Pakistan in Asia as well

Quote Originally Posted by aussie_beater
    if we are to judge a team by their away performances..have a gander at this:

WI's in 80's
    away from home

Played 52
    Won 25 (48%)
    Drew 20 (38%)
    lost 7 (13%) batting avearge 32.5 bowling average 25.8

Australia in 2000's
    away from home

Played 24
    Won 19 (79%)
    Drew 0 (0%)
    Lost 5 (21%) batting average 40.6 bowling average 27.6

(I think 3 of those 5 losses were in series where the Aussies had already won the series)

Well to me,Australias away record is miles better than the WI's of the 80's, for the simple fact that they have won 79% of the games compared to 48%..now to me the game is about winning and so Australia are far superior on that front.

In TESTs this Australian team is better than the WI team of 70s & 80s however in ODIs there is no comparison. WI wins hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    Well to me,Australias away record is miles better than the WI's of the 80's, for the simple fact that they have won 79% of the games compared to 48%..now to me the game is about winning and so Australia are far superior on that front.
    Well the game has become more attacking now that's why more winning percentage. WI's losing percent away isn't that bad. If Australia has won more it has lost more as well.

In TESTs this Australian team is better than the WI team of 70s & 80s however in ODIs there is no comparison. WI wins hands down.

got to disagree with you there...there has never been a better ODI team than the Australians of the last few years.....

In tests the two are very even, but not in ODI's

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information