• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team was better? Windies of Early 80s or the current Aussie Team?

tooextracool

International Coach
SJS said:
I would have said the late 70's/early 80's Windies side was better but for the fact that they lacked quality spinners...even one.

Its mainly here that this Aussie side is better.
what about the fact that the australian's have only one good quality fast bowler in the side, and even he is injured most of the time.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thats true.

The pace attack of Windies 80 was more varied in fact a terrific attack. What I was trying to point out really was the one thing that was missing in that attack.

twctopcat

International Regular
This argument will be resolved once i get my damn flux capacitor to work, should be done soon... 8-)
Seriously though agreeing to disagree is the only way, this one could go on forever.

aaronlacey

Cricket Spectator
Had this question been put forward a few years ago, during the famous record breaking streak of 16 consecutive test wins, there could be little arguement that the Aussies seemed a better team. However with the somewhat weakened bowling attack, due to the absence of Glenn McGrath, one could argue that the superior bowling would give the Windies the edge.

But on the other hand, take a look at the incredible depth of the current Aussie batting line up. You've got Ponting,Hayden, Langer, Symonds, Martyn, Lehmann and Gilchrist, just to name a few, and not forgetting the all-round ability of Andy Bichel.

So while you may have your opinion, it is really too difficult to accurately compare teams from a different era. Therefore I say that, because of the vast differences in modern day cricket to that of an earlier era, the teams are impossible to set them apart.

PY

International Coach
aaronlacey said:
Had this question been put forward a few years ago, during the famous record breaking streak of 16 consecutive test wins, there could be little arguement that the Aussies seemed a better team. However with the somewhat weakened bowling attack, due to the absence of Glenn McGrath, one could argue that the superior bowling would give the Windies the edge.

But on the other hand, take a look at the incredible depth of the current Aussie batting line up. You've got Ponting,Hayden, Langer, Symonds, Martyn, Lehmann and Gilchrist, just to name a few, and not forgetting the all-round ability of Andy Bichel.

So while you may have your opinion, it is really too difficult to accurately compare teams from a different era. Therefore I say that, because of the vast differences in modern day cricket to that of an earlier era, the teams are impossible to set them apart.
Welcome to CW.

You make a very good point but it's still fun to debate about it though. :cool2:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
You make a very good point but it's still fun to debate about it though. :cool2:
Okay for the purpose of this debate. Here they are head to head.

OPENERS : Greenidge and Haynes

versus

Hayden and Langer

MIDDLE ORDER : Viv Richards, Richardson, Lloyd, Logie or Gomes

versus

Ponting, Slater, Lehmann, Symonds

SPINNERS NIL versus Warne

PACEMEN : Marshall, Roberts, Holding and Garner

versus

McGrath, Gilespie and Lee

KEEPER : Dujon versus Gilchrist

I think the Windies would win . They have more class and a better though uni dimensional bowling side.

twctopcat

International Regular
Don't you mean Martyn instead of Slater? I think that they are talking about recent australians, unless Slater has come out of the commentary box!
Agree with the conclusion none the less. If the windies had had Gilchrist and Warne IMO that would be near perfect.

PY

International Coach
Linda said:
When did he go in? :blink:
He's been in quite a while!!

I remember he was having some very funny arguments with Atherton on English TV in 2002? Not sure but it was brilliant to listen to.

tooextracool

International Coach
PY said:

I remember he was having some very funny arguments with Atherton on English TV in 2002? Not sure but it was brilliant to listen to.
he was in quite a few of those arguments with robin jackman on indias recent tour to pakistan.

anzac

International Debutant
it's too early to judge any Aussie team post S Waugh - after all they've only had the 1 series v SRL!!!!!!

if you are going to compare then IMO the Aussie team has to include BOTH the Waugh twins, as IMO this was the batting at it's peak..........likewise McGrath has to be included in the Aussie bowling lineup..........you'd also have to time it prior to the injuries to both Gillespie & Lee........to compare attacks at their peak...........

Hayden, Langer
M Waugh, Ponting, Martyn, S Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne, Lee, Gillespie, McGrath

no disrespect to the subsequent / current lineups, but IMO while the Aussies are a better TEAM unit re gameplan & strategy etc, the WI team has too much individual player class v any other Aussie lineup.............

IMO Warne is the 'X' factor - I doubt the WI batsmen ever faced anyone close to his ability, likewise their pace attack would not have faced a batting lineup that attacks the bowling from 1 - 7. I don't think this Aussie lineup would have been intimidated by either aspect of the WI lineup (batting or bowling), and IMO the outcome would depend on the WI response to the Aussies taking the game to them & Warne......

:cool:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PY said:

Wasn't that more as an alternative to playing County Cricket for his off season employment?