• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could Nathan Lyon break Shane Warne's wicket tally?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Warne took 708 wickets.

I realise this is kind of absurd, but bear with me. Lyon keeps getting better and better with age. He's now played for approx six years and has 280 wickets. He is (just) 30 years old.

Warne played until he was about 38 years old. If Lyon plays until he is 38, we can assume he might take another 350-400 wickets in that time, which puts him really close to 700.

It'd be a big incentive to go past Warne I reckon.

Obviously he could get injured along the way, but so far he's shown himself to be durable.

At the very least you'd think he's gonna take 500+ wickets, which is pretty remarkable.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only 30? I thought that he was nearing Misbah's age.

Yeah, he can definitely beat Warne's record. I would want a guy like him to be the highest wicket taker for Australia...after all, he is the GOAT

Woodster

International Captain
Lyon is a very good spinner, you’ve got to be a lot better than that to go past Warne’s record. He won’t get anywhere near Warne’s record but he’ll continue to be a very good spinner that can both contain and attack. I like him as a cricketer.

Kirkut

International Regular
That would 400 odd more. I'm wondering how many times he's going to dismiss Jinx out of those 400 scalps.

Burgey

I don't realistically think it's possible. He's half the bowler and twice the human being.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think he can do it. No reason he can't play until 40 and he's just coming into his prime.

SillyCowCorner1

He currently is like a 40-year old...when he gets to 40, he'll probably be getting walloped by youngsters in BPL 15

TheJediBrah

Alien-skull won't even get 300 wickets. He'll be dropped by the end of the Ashes when everyone realises that Arjun Nair is Australia's best spinner

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem with these queries like the "Will Ponting/Cook go past Tendulkar's tally" is that they are based on the assumption that player in question will continue to take wickets at this rate and sustain this level of performance for the next 8 years.

All evidence has shown that this does not happen.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Interesting. When I saw the thread title I thought it must be a joke of some sort. But then I realized he's still just 30.

I mean Herath is 40. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could play for another 10 years. Jesus what the hell would he look like at 40??

Wonder how Warne and Lyon's Ashes tallies line up? Warne had huge success v the poms and also took truck tons of wickets at home..

I guess that will be the difference..

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I can't see any reason he can't play ten more years and get better, apart from injury.

And he seems durable. As I said, I know it's absurd. But it's kind of possible.