• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could Nathan Lyon break Shane Warne's wicket tally?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Not gonna happen, guys. He'll be lucky to get to 400. Never underestimate Australia's hard on for quicks, Pattinson will get fit or the next fast bowling wunderkind will come along and Lyon will be the one to make way.
Disagree strongly. What we're actually starting to realise is just how good he is, both as a wicket-taker, and as a part of a four pronged attack. No way he is dropped in favour of a 4 man pace attack any more.

but he's not remotely in Warne's league in terms of quality and never will be.
You dont say! 8-)

Red

No. I specifically cited those spinners because of the topic. Even amongst spinners they're ridiculously rare.
As I've said, it's probably absurd, but it is conceivable.

Barring injury, Lyon is gonna take 500+ wickets

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No.

The more realistic question is will he finish up as one of Australia's top 5 spinners of all time?

ATM I'd say he's just outside the top 5 with Warne, Grimmett, O'Reilly, MacGill & Benaud all ahead of him. That said, his SR of 60 is pretty good for a spinner, so that's something to consider.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sure, he can play til he's 40 if he wants. He's been that injury-free.

It's sort of strange knowing Nathan Lyon is destined to be a 100 test player. Fortunately, no one will be able to claim that he'll be the worst to achieve 100 tests for very long since Ishant is destined to walk the same path of immortality.

Starfighter

Not gonna happen, guys. He'll be lucky to get to 400. Never underestimate Australia's hard on for quicks, Pattinson will get fit or the next fast bowling wunderkind will come along and Lyon will be the one to make way.

Also, he's a good bowler and in decent form right now, but he's not remotely in Warne's league in terms of quality and never will be.
Hahahahaha. That'll be the day.

Australia have already dropped him several times after he didn't perform for about five minutes. If an exciting young leg spinner comes around in the next few years it'll only take a brief dip in form for him to be unceremoniously booted.
Definitely what concerns me most about our spin selection. The idea that leg spinners have some magical quality even if they have no control whatsoever. At least we got it right in Bangladesh and didn't play Swepson.

Sure, he can play til he's 40 if he wants. He's been that injury-free.

It's sort of strange knowing Nathan Lyon is destined to be a 100 test player. Fortunately, no one will be able to claim that he'll be the worst to achieve 100 tests for very long since Ishant is destined to walk the same path of immortality.
I really, really do look forward to Ishant's 100th test. Only 21 to go. The reaction on here will be hysterical.

Gnske

Hahahahaha. That'll be the day.

Definitely what concerns me most about our spin selection. The idea that leg spinners have some magical quality even if they have no control whatsoever. At least we got it right in Bangladesh and didn't play Swepson.

I really, really do look forward to Ishant's 100th test. Only 21 to go. The reaction on here will be hysterical.
Actually he'll probably get there before Lyon too if India's schedule remains as overloaded.

morgieb

Who's the worst to 100 tests right now? Bell? Hooper?
Stats say Atherton but I feel like his career had more substance than Bell’s.

EDIT: Harbhajan, Gayle and Strauss worth considering too.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Stats say Atherton but I feel like his career had more substance than Bell’s.

EDIT: Harbhajan, Gayle and Strauss worth considering too.
Don’t think any of those three in the edit belong in the discussion. Strauss was a better opener than Atherton and a better captain too.

Always found it a bit of a high bar discussion anyway.

Red

Hooper, Atherton and Vaas are IMO the "worst" to play 100. But they're pretty handy cricketers all the same.

Any cricketer who has played 100+ matches would walk into almost any test side ever.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Vaas is a ****ing hero. Go sit in a corner and think about what you've just said.

For shame.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
re the thread question, well, yeah, it's theoretically possible. But it's hard to imagine Lyon performing at that same level for that long (at least without rough periods that will pull him right back). Plus the whole issue of a younger, better spinner showing up meaning Lyon fades out in his mid-30s having done little wrong.

Daemon

Yeah Vaas was gun, but a bit like Anderson in that he relied on certain conditions. He had quite a poor record in England, SA and Australia, but considering the sort of wickets SL used to play on at home, his record there was really good.

morgieb

Don’t think any of those three in the edit belong in the discussion. Strauss was a better opener than Atherton and a better captain too.

Always found it a bit of a high bar discussion anyway.
Yeah I remember making a thread called “worst player to make 50 Tests” in response to a worst player to play 100 ODI’s and was absolutely slammed for it, I’ve never really been a fan of the question as the cricketers in question were at least at some point in their careers high-quality Test cricketers.

WRT Strauss/Atherton, I think Strauss had better peaks but Atherton was a Test quality batsman for longer. Captaincy probably swings it though, but Strauss also lead better teams.

Gnske

Yeah I remember making a thread called “worst player to make 50 Tests” in response to a worst player to play 100 ODI’s and was absolutely slammed for it, I’ve never really been a fan of the question as the cricketers in question were at least at some point in their careers high-quality Test cricketers.
Thank the goodness of god in that case that Guptill was stopped short of the big 50.

Red

Vaas is a ****ing hero. Go sit in a corner and think about what you've just said.

For shame.
As I said, they're all pretty good cricketers. Who would you pick as the worst three to play 100+ tests?

Guess Vettori might nudge in there?