• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking the candidates for the second best batsman after the Don. 25 contenders

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
so Ive added in Walcott, which I think is fair enough and that hes pretty underrated. Also Nourse

Compton I always lump in with May and Barrington as the next generation trio after the three Hs, and I just kind of hold them at a level below those Hammond Hutton and Hobbs. So it feels weird putting them in here. Not many can really say for sure who was the best out of Compton, May and Barrington either. So either I include them all or none of them

Im keeping Trumper just because unlike Ranji and Grace, he played in an era that housed a very, very highly regarded test bowler in Sydney Barnes. Like Barnes goes 1st round in drafts sometimes. Nobody from the 1800s ever gets a look in

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Worrell deserves to be there more than Younis imo.

Ranji over Trumper too imo

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All fair enough. Will replace Steve Smith and Barry. I had Barry in for a few reasons, Don Bradman nominated him as the opener in his own personal all time XI for one. But I guess unfortunately he just didn't have a large enough body of work at the highest level

It's not 'just tests' btw because I dont want to exclude Grace and Ranji... but if people think they complicate things too much I can replace them.
"It was not unusual for me to be in single figures as applause rang around the ground for his fifty," Greenidge

Gotta keep Barry imo. People just spoke way too highly of him to write him off like that. There's lots of footage of him as well.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Not knowing much about him (just going on stats), why is Barrington not rated highly here?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What crock of ****. If people think he's 2nd best then he has to be be included otherwise where do you draw the line?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Chuck in Grace, chuck out Harvey. Personally hurts me, but someone's gotta go, and i rate him the lowest out of those currently listed.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
But FWIW I think Barry Richards should be included. And I think this should focus on both tests and FC cricket. That way we can get a better impression of how much better guys like Grace and Trumper were compared to their contemporaries.

And as for Barry Richards, you only need to look at his WSC performance to know how good he was.

mr_mister

Grace, Ranji and Barry back in

Nourse, Harvey and Younis out. Nobody will seem to miss Nourse that much. Harvey did have a pretty big decline in the second half of his career. Younis I guess is unfortunate but I really want all of Grace, Ranji and Trumper in. If anything for a huge balance of eras represented.

Stilll not yet finalised. I can push it to 27 maybe if people really think this is an outrage

Red

AFAIC the real contenders for second greatest of all time are (and I'll only include guys with completed careers):

Sobers
Tendulkar
V.Richards
B.Richards
Hutton
Hobbs
G.Chappell
G.Pollock
B.Lara
R.Ponting

Red

Grace, Ranji and Trumper as well, but I tend to look at things pre-Hobbs and post-Hobbs, tbh

mr_mister

Disgraceful

I hate to bring drafts up as some kind of concrete evidence but they are a good indicator of CW consensus.... nobody ever picks Younis in drafts. Rohan Kanhai gets picked before him usually. I feel like even if he gets in he won't crack the top 20

mr_mister

Grace, Ranji and Trumper as well, but I tend to look at things pre-Hobbs and post-Hobbs, tbh
welll that still makes it a pretty big mystery who will finish in the top 5, which is what I want. Some of them are probably no chance of making the top 5, but be interesting to see how high they actually get