• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dominating series perfomace against tough bowling attacks

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Crowe v peak Wasim & Waqar in 1990. Very good, not sure it qualifies as dominating.

Averaged 60 for the series. Barely anyone else could score a run for NZ, Ruds ok, David White with his best contribution for NZC.
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Pak bowling averages;
Wasim missed 1 test of the 3. Waqar taking 29 wickets in 3 tests. Also some Abdul Qadir but Lions like he couldn't get the ball of the fast bowlers.
Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Kirkut

International Regular
Martin Crowe was probably the only one to score heavily against Wasim/Waqar at their peak (89-94) which is why they considered him the best batsman they faced throughout the 90s.

Lot of players have scored runs against Pakistan at various times but if you we apply a strict criteria of 'dominating in a series when most others have failed' then that automatically narrows it down by a great deal. Sangakkara has always scored runs against Pakistan and I would say he dominated but don't think he was the only one scoring the runs.

Sehwag has also dominated Pak but again, he had others scoring as well.
Sehwag scored heavily against Pakistan, but by that time Pakistani attack was not really threatening. His peak was probably the 2008 Sri Lanka tour.

subshakerz

International Coach
Some more that come to mind:

- Miandad back to back tons in the WI in 87-88
- Chris Cairns scored 341 at 56 against Australia in NZ in 2001, not sure if it qualifies

TNT

Banned
Collectively yes. but I don't recall any series triumph from one particular player.

In fact Wasim had done quite well against Australia. Averaged 24 in and 26 overall against them.
Justin Langer dominated them in 99.

TNT

Banned
The most dominating batting ever was when Hayden outscored the entire Pakistan team in both innings.

AndrewB

That was Langer (Perth 2004), unless they each did it.

Hutton outscored Australia at the 1938 Oval test without even needing a second innings.

AndrewB

The Hayden one was at Sharjah when Pakistan were bowled out for 59 and 53.
I'd forgotten that one, another instance (like Hutton's) where he only needed one innings (a feat also achieved FWIW by Bobby Abel (v SA in 1889) and Bradman (v India in 1947)).

Last edited:

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
I was going to mention it but Pakistan's batting did quite well in that series. It was their bowling sans Asif and Akhtar that led them down. They scored 500+ twice in that series.
YK scored heavily as well, not as much as Yousuf but he had a good series and Inzy chipped in with a few fifties.
I did not know the criteria was "where most others failed" which is a useless criteria tbh. Double checking OP, that isnt the criteria so no idea why its being discussed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I did not know the criteria was "where most others failed" which is a useless criteria tbh. Double checking OP, that isnt the criteria so no idea why its being discussed.
It does however stand to reason that one person can't dominate a series if someone else does almost as good as them.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Technically not a Test series, but Greg Chappell in the 78/79 SuperTests could count. 620 runs @ 68.88 against Holding, Roberts and Croft.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve Smith scoring heavily against the best new ball attack since Lindwall and Miller when NZ toured here.

Flem274*

123/5
Steve Smith scoring heavily against the best new ball attack since Lindwall and Miller when NZ toured here.
didn't face the best of the lot (wagner obvz) so doesn't count. that smith sure could grow up to be a handy player though