• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid's overseas performance : A gaping hole in the Wall

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England's attack in 2011 was also at its absolute peak, or close to it. Though Broad-Anderson-Bresnan/Tremlett-Swann might not have ATG CVs, but they bowled at that level in that series.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Dravid was at his peak between 2001 to 2006 and looked nearly invincible in all types of conditions (bounce, pace, swing, turn etc.). Apart from England 2011, outside of his peak, he didn't have Sachin's consistency.
Sachin was the best and the most consistent batsman of his era, Dravid would be IMO in the top 5 as well (Lara, Sachin, Kallis and Ponting being the other four, and later on, Sangakkara of course)...There is no point comparing him to Tendulkar all the time, give the man his dues, that will be it...

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thanks for reminding that 75 in Candy, one of the best knocks I have seen against Murali...
Yep, was an amazing knock. Ganguly got more runs in that innings iirc, but had loads of luck(dropped 4 times I think). Dravid looked supreme and it was his counterattack against Murali early on that helped put him off his lengths.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Also Dravid's average isn't good in SA and Sri Lanka but he failed against the likes of Ntini/Nel/Hayward and instead had his best series when he was our top scorer against Donald/Pollock in 97 when he was just a baby: Similarly, he trumped Murali in Kandy in 2001 when Murali was on a ridiculous run of form, taking 10fers basically every week, and won us the game on a turning last day track. So to say lol average low in x country therefore he failed when it was tough = extremely dumb.
I think the point of those stats is that the odd good performance does not equate to him being very good in those conditions and nowhere close to his form at home.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
2005-06 third test, England's bowling attack, besides Flintoff and Hoggard, consisted of Udal, Panesar and ''Troy Cooley era'' Jimmy Anderson.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yep the analysis goes out of its way to ignore the fact he was the best on seaming/swinging NZ conditions.
"didn't have a world class attack"

makes you wonder how they only managed 1 win from 7 (not incl. abandoned) tests in that time, with 3 losses.

sathwik99

Cricket Spectator
While I respect the analysis, why did the others fail, when Dravid succeeded.
Take out 241 not out and 60 not out at Sydney by Tendulkar in 2003-04 and compute his average in the first three tests. How much did he score in the famous Kolkata victory?
To state that Dravid' repertoire of strokes is limited is preposterous, and to dissect the fact that he scored when greats like Warne McGrath were not available is ridiculous. What is ponting average in India? What is Warne average in India? Does this make them lesser players? . Statistics can we used to suit our own prejudice. After 104 tests Dravid had scored 9049 test runs at 59.
Who else had that? Lara could not put bat to ball in Jamaica in 2006 when Dravid produced two gems of 81 and 68.
2007 and 2008:were his worst years. Came back strongly in 2009 to score 747 runs at 83. Respectable 2010 @42. He was the best batsman in the world in 2011 scoring 1150 runs at 57.
He failed in the last 3 tests in 2012 and retired.
It's not often a Dravid is born. He is one of the greatest the game of cricket has produced. He had to play 5 1/2 years of domestic cricket before being given a test cap.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Nerdy Indian fans have always known this. He didn't do all that well in Australia and SA which indicates a limitation against pace and bounce. Against spin, he was very good but compared to the absolute monster players of spin in his own team, he was merely ok.

He did play many come-from-behind knocks which made history. Hence his reputation as an ATG is sealed.

Last edited: