• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

De Villiers vs. Kohli: Mother of all ODI comparisons

Who is the better ODI batsman?

• AB de Villiers

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Virat Kohli

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah see, it’s a misconception amongst cricket fans that because the game has evolved, this impacts on the achievements of past players. Viv’s ODI record by modern standards is still pretty solid which tells you enough by itself given precisely zero players from his time even compete on a statistical level. But, for the time, he was a freak. Whatever the modern players do, still have to judge him in context. This is harder the longer time passes and less information about what it was like to be part of a rapidly evolving format of the game was like. Still, the other bats of the time were trying to evolve their own games to the new format but Viv was literally playing another game.

On the thread, Kohli squeaks it.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
great comparison, Kohli the better chaser, AB the quicker run machine, probably Kohli because of his performances in crunch matches (not a lot here for either :p)

srbhkshk

International Captain
Well at least statistically ABD is about as far away from his peers as Viv was from his -

Viv average - 47.00 , SR - 90.20 | Top 7 batsman average during Viv's ODI career - 29.38 , SR - 65.96 , so Viv is 60% better than average in terms of average and 36.7% better in terms of SR.

ABD average - 54.06 , SR - 101.07 | Top 7 batsman average since start of ABDs career - 32.80 , SR - 80.43 , so ABD is 64.8% , 25.7% better.

It's probably still advantage Viv given that 10% SR is probably better than 5% average, but it's not an enormous gap at least statistically, and contextually could really go either way.

OverratedSanity

Viv's SR is absolutely mind-boggling even without considering the rule changes favouring batsmen since that era.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Also probably benefited from ODI tactics that were not as evolved as it is now to be fair.

subshakerz

International Coach
Well at least statistically ABD is about as far away from his peers as Viv was from his -

Viv average - 47.00 , SR - 90.20 | Top 7 batsman average during Viv's ODI career - 29.38 , SR - 65.96 , so Viv is 60% better than average in terms of average and 36.7% better in terms of SR.

ABD average - 54.06 , SR - 101.07 | Top 7 batsman average since start of ABDs career - 32.80 , SR - 80.43 , so ABD is 64.8% , 25.7% better.

It's probably still advantage Viv given that 10% SR is probably better than 5% average, but it's not an enormous gap at least statistically, and contextually could really go either way.
I think this article successfully shows that Viv and Tendulkar were statistically on another level when it comes to ODI, even moreso than Kohli and AB...

Is Kohli up there with Tendulkar and Richards as an ODI batsman? - ESPNcricinfo

Spark

Global Moderator
Dean Jones always takes me surprise by just how good he was whenever these sorts of analyses pop up.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
For me it is ABD and I think quite comfortably too. The reason is, if I was picking an ODI team and I could only pick one of these two, I'd want to pick the one with a better 360 game and more explosiveness. That is the south african.

Top_Cat

Dean Jones always takes me surprise by just how good he was whenever these sorts of analyses pop up.
Not if you saw him bat. Set the standard for blokes hustling for the second run, was more of a weapon than his hitting, really. He should always be in the conversation amongst the best ever.

Last edited:

vcs

Pretty good Test record also. Why did he only play 52 Tests with an average of nearly 47?

Top_Cat

Despite my raging at it at the time, perception was that it was time to move on to the next generation (Martyn, Langer, etc.) because he’d developed a habit of being on the verge of being dropped only to save his arse in the dead rubber. Was a tough call, especially since he’d just come back from a SL tour where he’d smashed them and MWaugh scored 4 blobs on the trot but at least he wasn’t treated as poorly as, say, Tom Moody.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Just having a look thru Deano's record and it's weird to think he more or less replaced G.Chappell in the test team at the time, in 84.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Deano was one of those pioneering types, his running and hitting was ahead of its time. For fans alive at the time he gets rated but historically he is a bit over shadowed, and rightfully so, by a number of great batsmen at the time.