• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Off-spinner (in a half sleeve shirt) in years to take 300 test wickets...

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Perception wise, yes. Numbers wise, it might not dent his records too much if he has an ineffective game and promptly gets dropped/rotated for Jaddu or Yadav. Of course, that will affect how people rate him, which is fair enough.

There is so much competition right now to get into the Indian side that we are not having to play people through poor form or in unsuitable conditions because there's simply no other option.
What world class spinners are ready to play 3-4 tests against SA outside of Ashwin and Jadeja?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I may be a miserable old git who lives in the past too much, but fine bowler that Ashwin is he ain't a patch on Lance Gibbs

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Call me when he hits 500. 300 for a spinner don't mean **** post Warne Murali and Kumble.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Did u just compare Ashwin to Murali? Wt da fuq :laugh::blink::unsure::wacko:

I could post a picture of Ashwin and Murali standing next to each other and say that Ash is better since he's taller. That would make as much sense as that table given the context I was talking about. Fact: Ash > Murali in Australia.

adub

International Captain
I thought Ash bowled a lot better than his figures when he last played here, and I think it's reasonable to say he was better here than Murali.

But Murali didn't really bowl here. 95 he wasn't the bowler he was to become (and Darryl), and in 2007 he was thrown onto Brisbane and Hobart which were early season juicy for Lee, Johnson and Clark.

But lets face it, neither were really dangerous in these conditions.

Herath though was much more threatening than Ash or Murali last time he was here.

cnerd123

likes this
We're entering 'If you ignore all the wickets he's taken, he's never taken any wickets' level of ridiculousness now.

Show's you how great the man is that he has so many #haters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India’s problem is when they tour here next they’ll pick Ashwin in every test despite knowing he’ll be as useful as **** on a bull, apart from doing press conferences. It’s not his fault, it’s just visiting finger spinners get flogged here. They’d be better off not picking him, but understandably they will, given his home record.

Hopefullly one day he will have as well rounded a record as the WPNCOS, or even one as well rounded as the WPNCOS’s head.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Burgey I'd probably rather a crap touring Ashwin than a generally all-round crap Ishant.

"Will you take any wickets today Sharma?"

"Ishant"

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
When Ashwin played the last series down under, he conceded less than 3 rpo in each inning he bowled IIRC. I don't know which other visiting finger spinner has achieved that in last 2 decades, probably none.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And therein is your problem. He’s your leading bowler. It’s not his gig to be just holding an end up. He needs to be taking wickets consistently or you can’t win.

Motorwada

Banned
And therein is your problem. He’s your leading bowler. It’s not his gig to be just holding an end up. He needs to be taking wickets consistently or you can’t win.
Depends on the conditions right. Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins were all the support act in India compared to being the main guys in Oz.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Wrong. He's not our leading bowler in those conditions. If he holds one end up and gets 1-2 wickets in first innings and 3-4 in 2nd then that's enough. Our pace bowlers need to match their counterparts.

eempyrean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ashwin is just as good as Murali in my opinion. I don't really care about longevity to the point of Murali. I'm comparing them as individual bowlers on a given day. Ashwin has a lower average in the most batsman friendly era ever and 54 tests is a decent number. Time will tell whether I end up rating him higher than Murali or not..

But I will say this

Ashwin is a far better batsman and a better fielder. Ashwin is a better total player however you look at it and that can't really be argued with.

People hold biases in sport in general to their teams and other teams. I don't. Ashwin is a great classical off-spinner. One of the greatest ever. Just like Steven Smith is one of the best batsmen to ever grace the game. I'm English and don't really care for biases and jealousy of other people's success. Ashwin is a great bowler and a pleasure to watch him dismantle England on occasions in tests. With an average of over 31 with the bat and 25 with the ball he's arguably one of the best all-rounders to grace the game..let alone off-spinners

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Ashwin is just as good as Murali in my opinion. I don't really care about longevity to the point of Murali. I'm comparing them as individual bowlers on a given day. Ashwin has a lower average in the most batsman friendly era ever and 54 tests is a decent number. Time will tell whether I end up rating him higher than Murali or not..

But I will say this

Ashwin is a far better batsman and a better fielder. Ashwin is a better total player however you look at it and that can't really be argued with.

People hold biases in sport in general to their teams and other teams. I don't. Ashwin is a great classical off-spinner. One of the greatest ever. Just like Steven Smith is one of the best batsmen to ever grace the game. I'm English and don't really care for biases and jealousy of other people's success. Ashwin is a great bowler and a pleasure to watch him dismantle England on occasions in tests. With an average of over 31 with the bat and 25 with the ball he's arguably one of the best all-rounders to grace the game..let alone off-spinners
not sure if serious?