• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn's Instagram is basically just Dogs-Fishing-Surfing-Dogs repeated endlessly.
Yep. Also gym sessions and a short ****tease of him bowling now and again. Oh and new balance.

Indian players have the worst Instagrams. Dhawan and Pandya take endless selfies and tag **** like #gangsterboiz.

Daemon

Just realised we have no warm up game. Land on the 28th and the first Test is on the 5th. Not ideal prep unfortunately.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
So guys, what are your predictions for this series?

Indian fans - I know you are academics in the field of gambhiring but there is still almost a month left so it's quite early hopefully won't hurt your prospects. Do you think this is India's greatest chance to win a series in South Africa How would you compare this with 2010 when India arrived as the number 1 Test side just like now.

South African fans - South Africa have had a topsy turvy year - beat New Zealand home and away, beat Australia away (which is impossible for everyone else but South Africa) but lost in England who are not that strong at home and where South Africa have won in the past. Steyn might be back but after a major injury and almost 2 years out of the game. Philander's fitness is never reliable, Morkel is likely to miss a few games, and Rabada might have to carry the attack like has been doing. Plenty of question marks in the batting too after it failed to come together in England. How would you rate your side's prospects?

I think the fact that this is 3 match series without the extra test as was previously planned might ultimately favour both sides. I see both sides have 1 win in them against the other, and 1 game might be one where both sides fight cautiously to draw like in 2010 and 2013. Given the lack of preparation time and warm ups for India, it will be hard for them to win the 1st test. The only two sides to win their 1st test away in foreign conditions is Pakistan in England 2016 and Australia in India 2017 and both sides had a 1 month camp designed just for that series. It's not a secret, preparation helps.

Without that, I see South Africa winning the 1st test, India waking up and coming back hard in the 2nd and the third to end in a draw as both sides cautiously avoid losing the series.

OverratedSanity

Indian fans - I know you are academics in the field of gambhiring but there is still almost a month left so it's quite early hopefully won't hurt your prospects. Do you think this is India's greatest chance to win a series in South Africa How would you compare this with 2010 when India arrived as the number 1 Test side just like now.
2010-11 was by far our best chance. The entire batting lineup was in peak form, and Zaheer was bowling like an actual world class fast bowler.

Imo, if we'd got to face a SA team without AB/Steyn, I'd have backed us to win the series. But they're back and a few things have been less than ideal for India in the buildup to this series : There are zero warm-up matches, Rahane, probably our most consistent bat overseas last time around is in abysmal form, our one potentially good fast bowling AR in forever will have no match practice before the first test, Shami's fitness issues have gotten worse recently, etc.

India will still win 2-1 anyway.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SA 2-1

Rahane's form and lack of batting depth (considering the conditions) tilt it in SA's favour. Since they also have the better bowlers, that pretty much sets it up.

India will win one game by knocking over their top order cheaply.

Spark

Global Moderator
Just realised we have no warm up game. Land on the 28th and the first Test is on the 5th. Not ideal prep unfortunately.
Yeah this is just screaming to be absolutely trampled in the first game whenever touring sides do it. Ridiculous how much decent preparation has gone out of hte game.

vcs

This lack of preparation is frustrating. Seems to happen every bloody time. I remember we moaned about it back in 2010 also.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
And all of it just to fit a Sri Lanka series in reward for the vote secured from SLC earlier in the year. Can't imagine Kohli and co were too happy which explains this

"In the last two months, Indian players led by captain Virat Kohli have been open in their criticism of an increased workload. Kohli and MS Dhoni, have argued that for the team to perform better and consistently over longer periods, the players needed to have enough break in between commitments. After winning the Test series at home against Sri Lanka on Wednesday, Kohli once again stressed he was desperate for a break."

BCCI drafts new international commitments - ESPNcricinfo

srbhkshk

International Captain
A fully fit Steyn - Rabada - Morkel - Philander - Maharaj attack will demolish the batting line up at least for one test, I'm thinking 1-1 with SA having the advantage in the drawn game.

Daemon

I think it's heavily dependent on conditions. Pace and bounce I think India will be ok with, but lateral movement is a killer.

Kohli better not go missing again.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
I think Kohli should in all honesty stay out of all these meaningless bilateral ODIs. They had LO seris with NZ,AUS and Kohli played in all of them. Plus IPL it is just too much a workload.
If I was Kohli I would just stepdown my self for a period where India play a number of ODIs, and concentrate on a quality county season to improve the batting.

Kohli ffs should play all tests, and reduce the no.of LOs played.If possible take a break from that meaningless IPL craap

srbhkshk

International Captain
Yeah, no way is Kohli sitting out of IPL, the tournament runs on star power (reason why Yuvi kept getting buckets of money year after year). Can see him cutting down on bilateral ODIs though.

SeamUp

International Coach
All weird decisions made before this tour by BCCI

stuart hess‏
@shockerhess
So India, after demanding three warm-up games prior to the Tests with SA, have now decided to cancel their only warm-up game before the 1st Test. They will having 'training sessions' instead.

vcs

Ripe for a nice old thrashing in the first Test. No sympathy if it happens.

SeamUp

International Coach
Black Warrior

If we can get our players on the park and peaking I think we will be difficult to beat. 6 players average over 40 with the bat. Statistically our best spinner since Tayfield. And 4 seamers demanding to be picked in the same team who could be dubbed the fab 4.

I do respect India though. Got a good team but it is difficult to know how ready they are for this away challenge too. It could easily be their best team to visit these shores. Of course the team that got the draw will be difficult to top but there is unknown potential in this team and all are starting to peak themselves.

I think the pitches will be interesting. I'm not too sure green decks will be prepared for a lottery. Just think good cricket wickets where both bowler and batsman have to work hard will be what you see. That is why this series could be a cracker.

Daemon

Kohli's getting married. Will be on honeymoon. No training or match practice before he reaches SA.