• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If it was my choice I would put Philander in as allrounder, his batting has improved enough to be considered a decent no 7. I find Morris batting and bowling to erratic...

My team,
Elgar
Markram
Amla
ABdV
Faf
QDK
Philander
Maharaj
Rabada
Steyn
Morkel.
This looks a really good side. Trouble is, if the pitch is bowling friendly (250-300 being a par score), you end up not really needing all those bowling options. This would be a great team for a typical Australian or Indian pitch where you generally don't expect to bowl teams out in less than 100 overs in the first innings.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Definitely an option but Gibson is a big advocator of batting deep. That was my thinking and to call-up Morris up to be with them in Potch for Bangers says a lot to me.

But it would be so harsh for Morkel to miss out.
I still think it's alright with Maharaj and Rabada able to hold a bat...

My problem with Morris is neither of his disciplines look quite good enough for international Test cricket. Not quite a good enough bat (not better than Philander nowadays) and not quite a good enough bowler, to erratic, so would like to put a genuine skill of one or the other. Either we play Bavuma or we play Morkel, but not a bits and piece player. Bit harsh on Morris but its the way I feel about it... LO stuff, he is straight into the team for me.

SeamUp

International Coach
I still think it's alright with Maharaj and Rabada able to hold a bat...

My problem with Morris is neither of his disciplines look quite good enough for international Test cricket. Not quite a good enough bat (not better than Philander nowadays) and not quite a good enough bowler, to erratic, so would like to put a genuine skill of one or the other. Either we play Bavuma or we play Morkel, but not a bits and piece player. Bit harsh on Morris but its the way I feel about it... LO stuff, he is straight into the team for me.
Hard to argue.

Suppose its on gut feel. I see something in him and possibly with Gibson's work on his action the consistency will improve.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
This looks a really good side. Trouble is, if the pitch is bowling friendly (250-300 being a par score), you end up not really needing all those bowling options. This would be a great team for a typical Australian or Indian pitch where you generally don't expect to bowl teams out in less than 100 overs in the first innings.
If the pitch is that bowler friendly Maharaj will not bowl and you have 4 genuine world class quicks coming at you non stop... with injuries SA have suffered think this is a better option. Playing a 7th batsmen is very defensive and our allrounders are not good enough yet. Philander is fine at 7.... 2 years ago maybe I would have had doubts but he has shown enough recently for me to trust him at 7. Top 6 is super strong as well though.

SeamUp

International Coach
All 3 pitches will offer bounce but good scoring opportunities.

It seems like India will go with an all-rounder (Pandya) over Rohit for example ? So in a way they in the same boat. Definitely don't see a need of bringing a 3rd spinner like the cricinfo article mentioned. Cape Town these days is becoming more and more like the highveld on the coast.

Can't really read too much into it but last years Newlands test vs Sri Lanka : http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...-Test-sri-lanka-tour-of-south-africa-2016-17/

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Picking an India XI is so difficult. There are like a billion questions over team composition:

1) Play both Ashwin and Jadeja? Play one+Hardik?

2) One spinner+ Hardik+ 5 batsmen? One spinner+6 batsmen?

3) Ishant over Umesh? Ishant over Bhuvi?

4) Who opens? Dhawan-Vijay or Vijay-KL or KL-Dhawan?

5) If Rahane has a bad test do they panic and bring in Rohit?

It's making my head spin. The only players who are 100% locks are Kohli, Pujara, Saha, Shami (if fit) and probably Rahane. If anyone can accurately predict India's starting XI for the 1st test, I'll give them 50 internet points.

Last edited:

vcs

Yeah, will be interesting to see how Pandya bowls. Faf is quite particular on getting pitches that give SA maximum home advantage, so I'm sure there will be plenty of pace and bounce.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Can't really read too much into it but last years Newlands test vs Sri Lanka : 2nd Test, Sri Lanka tour of South Africa at Cape Town, Jan 2-5 2017 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
Think Newlands will be dryer than normal... could see the deck turn day 3 onwards. Hopefully it is not a Newland road. Interesting to see what happens at Centurion, I do expect plenty of bounce at Wanderers and Centurion.

Thank goodness CSA were not stupid enough to play at Kingsmead and/or St George's against India.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah, will be interesting to see how Pandya bowls. Faf is quite particular on getting pitches that give SA maximum home advantage, so I'm sure there will be plenty of pace and bounce.
Very apparent. No PE or Durban for India.

Only 1 highveld venue for Australia.

vcs

Anyway, looking forward to seeing which of the two captains leaves more straight balls on the stumps. :cool: That's the real battle.

SeamUp

International Coach
Think Newlands will be dryer than normal... could see the deck turn day 3 onwards. Hopefully it is not a Newland road. Interesting to see what happens at Centurion, I do expect plenty of bounce at Wanderers and Centurion.

Thank goodness CSA were not stupid enough to play at Kingsmead and/or St George's against India.
We are suffering a drought/water-restirctions so you would expect so but then I see the T20 pitch yesterday and every year it is getting more bouncy with decent pace.

My company does cricket pitch covers for Newlands so I try and squeeze info out of Evan for what is his special formula but I don't get a reply. :D

He is a Durbanite. Maybe Kingsmead should try and lure him home because that pitch is becoming more like the sub-continent with every passing year.

Mentioned it in the post after yours. Very apparent and Faf has strongly voiced his opinion on pitches for the opposition. Especially after the last India tour :D

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
If Morne is fit I'd definitely have him in the team and Philander at 7. If AB wasn't back I wouldn't be so confident but with him at 4 it just makes the batting line up look world's better.

I hope Shami and Kumar are the first choice pace bowlers for India. Genuine class there. And whilst I see the appeal of Umesh, I wouldn't be too disappointed if Sharma was given the node as third seamer. Big test for Ashwin. He has the skill, but it's dissapointing that he hasn't done well in conditions not conducive to spin yet. He needs to live up to his pedigree.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Can't wait. Hopefully all three of Steyn, Philander and Rabada are fit and raring to go. We've only seen that combination in what? Three matches or so?
Four matches: All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

But one of them was on the tour of India where the pitches were turning from Day One, one was a match that was washed out, and one was the match against Australia where Steyn broke down. So there's only been one match where the three of them had a chance to get going.

OverratedSanity

On paper, Steyn+Philander+Morkel+Rabada is arguably the best 4 man pace attack since the Windies quartet. Should be great to watch.

Bahseph

State Captain
If Steyn is going to play, we need the fifth bowler. He has broken down too many times in the last few years, and while I don't think it's hurt his skill or striking ability, we need that cover especially since none of the top 6 bowl much except Markram(Think Elgar has back issues). And Duminy's off breaks > Markrams offbreaks.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If Steyn is going to play, we need the fifth bowler. He has broken down too many times in the last few years, and while I don't think it's hurt his skill or striking ability, we need that cover especially since none of the top 6 bowl much except Markram(Think Elgar has back issues). And Duminy's off breaks > Markrams offbreaks.
Not based on recent results... :)

SeamUp

International Coach
Absolute must and I wouldn't only say Steyn with Vern and Morras around. Too many games we've been a bowler down and Kesh has had to bowl more overs but now we up against the best players of spin.

We just can't be sure so I reckon we definitely will be going in with 5 bowlers.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It basically comes down to Morkel versus Morris, for his batting. Unless we go back to 7 batsmen with Bavuma... but that will be a very clear quota issue. Zim 4 day test may give an indication?