Page 2 of 289 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree1434Likes

Thread: ***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

Should be an awesome series. Can't wait to see how this Indian side fares away from home, think they have the tools to do well outside of the subcontient in contrast to previous years.

Still the possible South African side looks ridiculously strong on paper.
    5-0

Want to be the online Don Bradman or Ian Salisbury?
    Then join CW Cricket today. It's what all the cool kids desire.

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014

International Captain StephenZA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    If they don't play Temba and go with the all-rounder I think they may go with Morris. Especially with the 3 tests probably being on our most bouncy wickets out of our main 5 test venues.
    If it was my choice I would put Philander in as allrounder, his batting has improved enough to be considered a decent no 7. I find Morris batting and bowling to erratic...

My team,
    Elgar
    Markram
    Amla
    ABdV
    Faf
    QDK
    Philander
    Maharaj
    Rabada
    Steyn
    Morkel.
    vcs likes this.
    "Here are the opinions on which my facts are based." - Humanity
    "Man occasionally stumbles on the truth, but then just picks himself up and hurries on regardless." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    If it was my choice I would put Philander in as allrounder, his batting has improved enough to be considered a decent no 7. I find Morris batting and bowling to erratic...

My team,
    Elgar
    Markram
    Amla
    ABdV
    Faf
    QDK
    Philander
    Maharaj
    Rabada
    Steyn
    Morkel.
    Definitely an option but Gibson is a big advocator of batting deep. That was my thinking and to call-up Morris up to be with them in Potch for Bangers says a lot to me.

But it would be so harsh for Morkel to miss out.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 27-11-2017 at 03:38 AM.
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Hardik's going to bomb. Haven't seen his bowling at all in tests so far and he'll come into the series with not much match practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Hardik's going to bomb. Haven't seen his bowling at all in tests so far and he'll come into the series with not much match practice.
    Bizarre resting him from the SL tests. No doubt he'll play the LO games now.

vcs

My team,
    Elgar
    Markram
    Amla
    ABdV
    Faf
    QDK
    Philander
    Maharaj
    Rabada
    Steyn
    Morkel.
    This looks a really good side. Trouble is, if the pitch is bowling friendly (250-300 being a par score), you end up not really needing all those bowling options. This would be a great team for a typical Australian or Indian pitch where you generally don't expect to bowl teams out in less than 100 overs in the first innings.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Definitely an option but Gibson is a big advocator of batting deep. That was my thinking and to call-up Morris up to be with them in Potch for Bangers says a lot to me.

But it would be so harsh for Morkel to miss out.
    I still think it's alright with Maharaj and Rabada able to hold a bat...

My problem with Morris is neither of his disciplines look quite good enough for international Test cricket. Not quite a good enough bat (not better than Philander nowadays) and not quite a good enough bowler, to erratic, so would like to put a genuine skill of one or the other. Either we play Bavuma or we play Morkel, but not a bits and piece player. Bit harsh on Morris but its the way I feel about it... LO stuff, he is straight into the team for me.

I still think it's alright with Maharaj and Rabada able to hold a bat...

My problem with Morris is neither of his disciplines look quite good enough for international Test cricket. Not quite a good enough bat (not better than Philander nowadays) and not quite a good enough bowler, to erratic, so would like to put a genuine skill of one or the other. Either we play Bavuma or we play Morkel, but not a bits and piece player. Bit harsh on Morris but its the way I feel about it... LO stuff, he is straight into the team for me.
    Hard to argue.

Suppose its on gut feel. I see something in him and possibly with Gibson's work on his action the consistency will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    This looks a really good side. Trouble is, if the pitch is bowling friendly (250-300 being a par score), you end up not really needing all those bowling options. This would be a great team for a typical Australian or Indian pitch where you generally don't expect to bowl teams out in less than 100 overs in the first innings.
    If the pitch is that bowler friendly Maharaj will not bowl and you have 4 genuine world class quicks coming at you non stop... with injuries SA have suffered think this is a better option. Playing a 7th batsmen is very defensive and our allrounders are not good enough yet. Philander is fine at 7.... 2 years ago maybe I would have had doubts but he has shown enough recently for me to trust him at 7. Top 6 is super strong as well though.

All 3 pitches will offer bounce but good scoring opportunities.

It seems like India will go with an all-rounder (Pandya) over Rohit for example ? So in a way they in the same boat. Definitely don't see a need of bringing a 3rd spinner like the cricinfo article mentioned. Cape Town these days is becoming more and more like the highveld on the coast.

Can't really read too much into it but last years Newlands test vs Sri Lanka : http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8...frica-2016-17/
    Last edited by SeamUp; 27-11-2017 at 03:54 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Picking an India XI is so difficult. There are like a billion questions over team composition:

1) Play both Ashwin and Jadeja? Play one+Hardik?

2) One spinner+ Hardik+ 5 batsmen? One spinner+6 batsmen?

3) Ishant over Umesh? Ishant over Bhuvi?

4) Who opens? Dhawan-Vijay or Vijay-KL or KL-Dhawan?

5) If Rahane has a bad test do they panic and bring in Rohit?

It's making my head spin. The only players who are 100% locks are Kohli, Pujara, Saha, Shami (if fit) and probably Rahane. If anyone can accurately predict India's starting XI for the 1st test, I'll give them 50 internet points.
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 27-11-2017 at 03:57 AM.
    SeamUp and indiaholic like this.

vcs
    Yeah, will be interesting to see how Pandya bowls. Faf is quite particular on getting pitches that give SA maximum home advantage, so I'm sure there will be plenty of pace and bounce.
    SeamUp likes this.

Can't really read too much into it but last years Newlands test vs Sri Lanka : 2nd Test, Sri Lanka tour of South Africa at Cape Town, Jan 2-5 2017 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
    Think Newlands will be dryer than normal... could see the deck turn day 3 onwards. Hopefully it is not a Newland road. Interesting to see what happens at Centurion, I do expect plenty of bounce at Wanderers and Centurion.

Thank goodness CSA were not stupid enough to play at Kingsmead and/or St George's against India.

Yeah, will be interesting to see how Pandya bowls. Faf is quite particular on getting pitches that give SA maximum home advantage, so I'm sure there will be plenty of pace and bounce.
    Very apparent. No PE or Durban for India.

Only 1 highveld venue for Australia.

vcs
    Anyway, looking forward to seeing which of the two captains leaves more straight balls on the stumps. That's the real battle.
    Bijed likes this.

Page 2 of 289 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread Information