Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The great 90s English no-rounder extravaganza. A 16 man knockout bracket

Cricketer Of The Year mr_mister's Avatar

The great 90s English no-rounder extravaganza. A 16 man knockout bracket

Im pretty bored atm.

*If their careers leaked over into the 2000s still count that period

*Consider their batting combined with their bowling at any level.. Tests, ODIs, county whatever means more to you

*I know some of these are really pushing it to count as all-rounders. But even Gough was labeled the next Botham after his swashbuckling 65 on debut

Ben Hollioake vs Adam Hollioake
    Mark Ealham vs Mark Alleyne

Dominic Cork vs Mike Watkinson
    Alex Tudor vs Phil DeFreitas

Vince Wells vs Ronnie Irani
    Robert Croft vs Dermot Reeve

Craig White vs Derek Pringle
    Gavin Hamilton vs Chris Lewis
    Last edited by mr_mister; 26-11-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    cricket rules brah

International 12th Man SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    I pick Chris Lewis only because he has name recognition. The guy who bowl the ball to Lara that broke Sobers' 365

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    No winker

I didnt know that guy too well, bit before my time. But Andrew Flintoff is also missing. Take it as a compliment, they were too good to be no-rounders!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    I didnt know that guy too well, bit before my time. But Andrew Flintoff is also missing. Take it as a compliment, they were too good to be no-rounders!
    I may have said something similar at the time, so you're excused

State Vice-Captain
    What about Reeve, Pringle, Fleming, Capel, Dougie Brown and (since you have some spinners) Neil Smith and Watkinson? If you're picking "bits-and-pieces" players any of those would be much more suitable than Hick, or Gough for that matter.

And of course there were two other all-rounders who were distinctly mediocre in the 90s, but you probably won't want to include them since you're considering their whole careers...

(Edit: Posted before I saw several of the replies).
    Last edited by AndrewB; 26-11-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    Howe_zat likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Given how much you talk about this aspect of English cricket you have some quite strange ideas on who was being played as an allrounder.
    Prince EWS likes this.
    I get a nod, the tiny smile that doesn't come with teeth
    Maybe you don't know who I am

unfortunately my cricket knowledge more or less begins from 1997 onwards

I've read a lot of books about English test cricket in the early and mid 90s but not the county circuit. I feel some of those dudes you named kind of wrapped up their international careers around the 1992 WC, I was going more for the players of the true drivel era of 93-99, when draws were celebrated like victories.

I feel like Gough and Hick were considered to be potential all-rounders at a time right? Hick bowled a lot in ODIs

anyway this was all a big joke not to be taken too seriously

Hick was certainly an all-rounder when he topped the bowling stats in India

^I see Hicky averaged 52 with the bat and 25 with the ball in that series. You must have thought you had the next Aubrey Faulkner on your hands Fred(tried to think of a notable off-spinning all-rounder and realised I couldnt)

edit - Vinoo Mankad. Hick's 1993 performance against India was probably the best by an offspinning all-rounder since Vinoo Mankad
    Last edited by mr_mister; 26-11-2017 at 08:35 AM.

State Vice-Captain
    ^I see Hicky averaged 52 with the bat and 25 with the ball in that series. You must have thought you had the next Aubrey Faulkner on your hands Fred(tried to think of a notable off-spinning all-rounder and realised I couldnt)

edit - Vinoo Mankad. Hick's 1993 performance against India was probably the best by an offspinning all-rounder since Vinoo Mankad
    I was going to suggest Jack Simmons... Vinoo was SLA, so finger-spinning but not off-spinning.

The reason I'd leave out Hick and Gough isn't so much because their bowling/batting wasn't up to it, more because their batting/bowling was good enough (in ODIs at least, in Hick's case) to disqualify them as "no-rounders".

ah, fair point. i kinda like the idea of elevating a player even higher by talking about their lesser known skill (both Waugh brother's bowling for example) but yeah this is a bit of a shamozzle now

If i change it from no-rounders to all-rounders im kind of obligated to throw in Flintoff who will cruise through this thing.

Even as it stands Craig White will probably be a clear standout. Its funny because a test batting/bowling avg of 24/37 looks utter shite but its still enough to say he's the best AR they had at test level(excluding Flintoff) over that decade period

though Cork might have done enough with the ball to make up for how much less he did with the bat than White now I think about it

I thought we had the first Ravi Ashwin, but no one would believe me

jokes aside, that was a massive series for hick. Featured his best bowling and his highest score in tests, 178. Sad that it was all downhill pretty much straight away afterwards, save for an awesome ODI purple patch going from the the 99 tri series to the opening few games of the 99 WC(but he faded away before that tournament even ended)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information