• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What should be changed in Cricket?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would you prepare a properly green pitch or one which will break up markedly in a test match knowing that the visiting team will certainly choose whatever will advantage them rather than having a 50/50 shot?

TNT

Banned
Would you prepare a properly green pitch or one which will break up markedly in a test match knowing that the visiting team will certainly choose whatever will advantage them rather than having a 50/50 shot?
Would you prepare a flat deck knowing they get to bat first.

Starfighter

Would you prepare a flat deck knowing they get to bat first.
But it will remain flat the whole match, so that's less of an issue. It would promote the sort of pitches we've seen in Australia over the past five years, where you get higher run rates but attritional cricket.

TNT

Banned
But it will remain flat the whole match, so that's less of an issue. It would promote the sort of pitches we've seen in Australia over the past five years, where you get higher run rates but attritional cricket.
Australia has the highest percentage of results.

Starfighter

Once again you're using statistics rather than looking with your eyes. Our pitches have produced consistently uninteresting cricket in which scoreboard pressure, attrition and the opposition's unfamiliarity with our conditions has tended to be the biggest factor. Competitive, interesting matches where there the bowlers are always in the game have not been in large abundance

Spark

Global Moderator
Once again you're using statistics rather than looking with your eyes. Our pitches have produced consistently uninteresting cricket in which scoreboard pressure, attrition and the opposition's unfamiliarity with our conditions has tended to be the biggest factor. Competitive, interesting matches where there the bowlers are always in the game have not been in large abundance
You misspelled "cherry-picking whatever I need to in order to fuel my crusade that no-one appreciates Australia's manifest awesomeness"

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'd like to see all of these given a try, but not necessarily at the same time

a) Return to uncovered wickets
b) Removal of the restriction on fielders behind square on the leg side (but not to encourage a return to Bodyline)
c) Change the lbw law to allow the batsman to be dismissed if the ball pitches outside leg stump
d) Return to the back foot no ball law
a) In England perhaps. But a sticky dog in Australia can be unplayable.
b) Definitely. I would remove all fielding restrictions in all forms of cricket.
c) No. Forcing batman to play at negative bowling is a bad idea.
d) Definitely. The main advantage being that assuming the on field umpire calls it the batsman has a couple of extra seconds to change his shot. With the front law he doesn't.

Starfighter

I think seeing a match like Brisbane in 50/51 would be very interesting, more than almost any match played today.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The visiting team gets to put the home side in rule has been in place for the last two seasons of the County Championship. The ECB did it to stop home sides preparing green seamers for their dibbly-dobblers, to encourage wickets more liable to turn and therefore better spin-bowlers. Not sure if I'm a fan of the change.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The visiting team gets to put the home side in rule has been in place for the last two seasons of the County Championship. The ECB did it to stop home sides preparing green seamers for their dibbly-dobblers, to encourage wickets more liable to turn and therefore better spin-bowlers. Not sure if I'm a fan of the change.
It's a nonsense rule that achieves nothing. Certainly not made by anyone who understands the basics of cricket.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
standardisation of the ball used worldwide in tests and for it to be pink to prevent matches being abandoned for bad light while not being able to use floodlights..

Starfighter

They do it to encourage spin bowlers and then don't pick the one who actually take wickets, like Leach.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I do not care for the rule but mostly because we as with all the northern counties are always put in and irrespective, a bona fide 'Durham spinner' is as elusive as Lord Lucan.

TNT

Banned
You make no sense, Matches in Australia give results because the bowlers are able to take twenty wickets. Its like you want the matches to finish two days or less.

cnerd123

likes this
If the Test match ends before the 5th day, all the players should play an exhibition ODI on the remaining day(s).

Broadcasters paid for 5 days of cricket, fans paid for tickets, the ground had been booked and match officials and staff were already hired. May as well make use of all of it.