• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2017

Blain

U19 Captain
Yeah Broom confirming he is a wasted selection. At his age and based on past performance, he's clearly another pet for the selection panel sadly. Nicholl's should have been moved up if he's so good to hold selection with no challengers. Batting low down Hess and co will just fart out the line "he's had limited opportunities etc.." Glenn Phillips or Tom Bruce are far more suited to bat 6.

I'm just really confused with what they are planning moving forward with this line up. With Worker going how he is, would Munners be moved down to a 5/6 role when Guppys back? Is Latham our 5 locked in?

And why does Young aways go rubbish when he has a chance of getting into the team..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wonder if Williamson would prefer to be playing, to try and get back to his best form?
Yeah I'm sure of it. I actually didn't mind the Broom selection so much given the circumstances (I think I remember saying last summer after his ton that I liked him as an injury backup for Williamson and Taylor but didn't like him batting below four - I still stand by that), but the original decision to rest Williamson was bat**** insane. NZ don't play enough cricket to justify it, and unlike Guptill he doesn't play much cricket outside the NZ setup. Knowing Kane he definitely wouldn't have asked for it either.

Speaking of Guptill, I wonder which opener will hold their place after he comes back. The selectors were going with Munro in India, but if Worker could ton up here it'd put pressure on Munro.

Flem274*

123/5
It makes me more amused than it should that cricinfo haven't bothered to update most of Taylors bio since 2007 and nothing at all since McCullum was announced as skipper.

"Ross Taylor could be just what New Zealand need in the wake of the mass of departures from their batting line-up"

Flem274*

123/5
good jinx smithy

nicholls needs to ton up here. i've just remembered this is on but it looks like a road and we haven't had the quality to take advantage of it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm not really a fan but this seems like it would have been the ideal circumstance in which to play Bennett. The pitch is fast, Southee and Milne are both out, the opposition have sucked against short bowling all tour, and he's in good form. The fact that Rance was added to the squad ahead of him kind of suggests he's done, IMO.

BeeGee

International Captain
Yeah Broom confirming he is a wasted selection. At his age and based on past performance, he's clearly another pet for the selection panel sadly. Nicholl's should have been moved up if he's so good to hold selection with no challengers. Batting low down Hess and co will just fart out the line "he's had limited opportunities etc.." Glenn Phillips or Tom Bruce are far more suited to bat 6.
Yeah, this was the perfect opportunity to give a young bloke a taste of ODI cricket. They could have played Philips at 6, given him the gloves and played Latham at 3. Instead of a forward looking selection we get old man Broom pointlessness.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That looked outer live than it was because it deflected off the front pad. If where it ended up hitting on the back pad was the first point of contact then it was probably going to be clipping .

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
He is evolving to become a good no. 6 now. ...fascinating what even a semi-stable batting order can do where people know where they'll be batting for next 20 matches...expect Latham, Munro and Nicholls to grow from here if they are persisted at 5, 1 and 6 respectively

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Loving this from Nicholls, I was in favour of him being in this middle order spot back at the Champion's Trophy when Broom had it. Nice to see him get a shot there and doing well.