• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Under 19 World Cup 2018

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I'm just morbidly curious whether it's a Youth ODI, and I should take an interest, or a Micky Mouse unofficial 12 a side game.

Dale Phillips mysteriously appeared on the scorecard to make it 12.

The 2 warmup unofficial games provided to each competitor by the ICC in January not enough for nz, need 4 not-games. Actual games are no use to us.

SeamUp

International Coach
That is damn impressive they can fit this in for Zimbabwe u19s. Fly back home and then go back. Seriously ?

This group have even been to Asia, Australia and obviously South Africa in this cycle.

Two boys schooled in SA there.

Wesley Madhevere (St Charles - pmb)
Taun Harrison (SACS - cape town)

SeamUp

International Coach
Basically there for 3 weeks before the tournament. Taking in Christmas and New Years too. I think this will be confusing to their senior team as well. Makes you wonder.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Uh oh, Mangongo...

https://www.thestandard.co.zw/2017/11/19/mangongo-eyes-world-cup-improvement/

We need to make sure that we keep improving, these boys are the future and they hold the light in local cricket. At the moment our [senior] national team is in the backwaters and if we are to improve, we need to take junior cricket seriously,” Mangongo said.

“We are doing everything possible to make sure that these juniors keep improving. With the World Cup in mind, we are definitely looking to go there and shock the world. We have done the hard yards, we’ve done all the preparations required of us and the key things are the processes. From number 10, we want to get better, it could be sixth or number one or number four but the key thing is we want to keep improving,” he said.

Mangongo said the final squad was selected following a rigorous two-year programme that included trials, several training camps and tours to Malaysia, Namibia, South Africa, Australia and India by the youth side.

Zimbabwe also recently hosted reigning world champions West Indies for a three-match Youth One Day International (ODI) series in July, which they narrowly lost 2-1.

“The boys have had a long journey which started with 88 boys from the 10 provinces and the two-year programme has been very intense and rigorous,” he said.

“It is an honour to have worked with such kind of boys who cherish and have a dream to eventually represent their nation at the highest level.

“These boys are living a dream and hopefully in a few years’ time, or a few months’ time, we will see some of them graduating into higher levels of cricket.”
I like how invested Zimbabweans remain in their cricket kids though. I know if I started a New Zealand school cricket Facebook page, there wouldn't be frequent and passionate comments regarding every U19 selection call -
https://www.facebook.com/zimbabwe-school-cricket-164083517010860/

SeamUp

International Coach
Uh oh, Mangongo...

https://www.thestandard.co.zw/2017/11/19/mangongo-eyes-world-cup-improvement/

I like how invested Zimbabweans remain in their cricket kids though. I know if I started a New Zealand school cricket Facebook page, there wouldn't be frequent and passionate comments regarding every U19 selection call -
https://www.facebook.com/zimbabwe-school-cricket-164083517010860/
It's massive Kippax.

They also live stream the T20 schools event where some South African schools go over for every year.

SeamUp

International Coach
Cricket Australia done brilliantly with the player inserts.

First Indian Origin to captain Australia u19s

SeamUp

International Coach
Not only Zimbabwe there so early.

Afghanistan left on 17 December. Winning the u19 Asia Cup really is exciting for their growth as a cricket nation. We've seen Bangladesh become so competitive at this age group and as a result there is growth higher up.

Bangladesh and Ireland also left in the last 24 hours.

brockley

International Captain
Weak effort by using a B side by Australia,you would think the first team would need game time.They will give Baggy Greens out in paper bags soon.
Oh yea Sam Healelett and Heath Cartwright in One Dayers.:laugh:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah I see.

Early afternoon Friday, if anyone wants to see Aust's proper U19 players.

BBL Pathways Match – Ponting XI v Gilchrist XI
When: 5 January 2018
Time: 12.15pm start, local time
Where: The Gabba, Brisbane

Ponting XI: Max Bryant (QLD), Jack Edwards (NSW), Zak Evans (VIC), Ryan Hadley (NSW), Baxter Holt (NSW), Nathan McSweeney (QLD), Jonathan Merlo (VIC), Lloyd Pope (SA), Jason Sangha (NSW), Will Sutherland (VIC), Param Uppal (NSW)

Gilchrist XI: Xavier Bartlett (QLD), Blake Edwards (QLD), Jarrod Freeman (TAS), Cameron Green (WA), Ryan Hackney (NSW), Brad Hope (WA), Jason Ralston (NSW), Patrick Rowe (VIC), Matthew Spoors (WA), Jack White (TAS), Austin Waugh (NSW).

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Prithvi Shaw and India in action today in Napier -
https://scoring.nzc.nz/livescoring/match4728/scorecard.aspx

I've been warned by Indian fans that their new ball bowlers (Mavi and Nagarkoti) are actually going to be quite strong in this WC, and tbf, they weren't smashed to all parts this morning. The others then got some beans from Willem Ludick and his continued push for CD Stags selection.

Last edited: