• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Under 19 World Cup 2018

Blain

U19 Captain
On Afghan's, now they are a test nation, where will they host test matches against top tier nations? Is it deemed the same as Pakistan, and be played in UAE? Or not so. And, if that is not the case, what are the grounds like, and will they get decent crowds you reckon?

I have no idea on the subject, hence the question.

Back to the tournament, NZ have been found out by not having more than 2 paceman in the squad. I have no idea what has happened there, bad crop? Bad coaching & planning? The batting looks OK enough, but vulnerable under pressure, which is to be expected. Any team in word cricket needs at least 3 decent pace/swing bowlers in the team at all times, and 1 or 2 + 4 finger spinners is a terrible idea really.

Aritro

International Regular
FWIW, I think they could do worse than play the odd home series in Australia just as Pakistan have done in the UK.

A home game at Casey Fields in Melbourne's Eastern suburbs would draw a big crowd of ex-pat Afghans I suspect.

SeamUp

International Coach
There is certainly no fast bowler of note for Australia here like previous additions :

2016 : Would have been Jhye Richardson
2014 : Billy Stanlake
2012 : Joel Paris / Pat Cummins
2010 : Josh Hazlewood & James Pattinson

Loved Nick Knight's face when the Afghan skipper said so confidently on a brand new pitch in overcast conditions we will bat first.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
There is certainly no fast bowler of note for Australia here like previous additions :

2016 : Would have been Jhye Richardson
2014 : Billy Stanlake
2012 : Joel Paris / Pat Cummins
2010 : Josh Hazlewood & James Pattinson

Loved Nick Knight's face when the Afghan skipper said so confidently on a brand new pitch in overcast conditions we will bat first.
I suspect Cameron Green would have been that man if fit. Also with Cummins, he was eligible for 2012 but was injured at the time iirc.

SeamUp

International Coach
I suspect Cameron Green would have been that man if fit. Also with Cummins, he was eligible for 2012 but was injured at the time iirc.
Is Green a bowling all-rounder ? Looked a bounce bowler and was really impressed with the highlights of his 50 he scored in the shield.

Yeah think they pulled Cummins from the tournament as he was with the senior side.

SeamUp

International Coach
What's going to be a good score for the Afghan's with their mystery/quality spinners and Australia chasing ?

220-230 ?

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Aussies have started well. Two decent medium pacers doing the job at the moment. As much as I don't like seeing Aussies go through in any of the tournament ahead of us, this is one that I want them to go through. This is Afgan men's team they are playing not U19s, Would be great for the Aussie kids development but not so much the Afgans. I think IPL bids on some of these players now tell you why the age fudge is rampant in sub continent. If you can dominate in a game or two when on TV it gets you good money and when you are well overage you can do that in a game or two surely. Not all of the sub continent players age fudge but quite a lot of them do. Rahul Dravid has done well this year and I see there may be one or two over age players but overall Indian side is looking like truly U19.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah there is certainly a fair bit of potential with the bat there, looks well organised but can also hit a long ball on his day. Certainly a bouncy hit the deck style bowler, lively enough but could well get quicker as time goes on.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Aussies have started well. Two decent medium pacers doing the job at the moment. As much as I don't like seeing Aussies go through in any of the tournament ahead of us, this is one that I want them to go through. This is Afgan men's team they are playing not U19s, Would be great for the Aussie kids development but not so much the Afgans. I think IPL bids on some of these players now tell you why the age fudge is rampant in sub continent. If you can dominate in a game or two when on TV it gets you good money and when you are well overage you can do that in a game or two surely. Not all of the sub continent players age fudge but quite a lot of them do. Rahul Dravid has done well this year and I see there may be one or two over age players but overall Indian side is looking like truly U19.
Is this a serious post?
Genuine question..

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Is this a serious post?
Genuine question..
I mean it, yes... This only doesn't apply to this world cup but the previous 19s world cup as well. From what I heard there were players as old as 30 years in the previous Afganistan under 19 team that played in Bangladesh. Similarly there were few overage players from India/Pakistan as well. Rashid Khan was supposed to have been 16 years in the previous under 19 world cup. I won't grudge them if Afgan goes all the way but I'd rather prefer they don't. There was one incident last time around where the Nepal captain never quite removed the helmet entire world cup (he was a wicket keeper) as he had previously appeared in India and trialed for a domestic under 19 side about 6-8 years ago prior he made a debut for Nepal in the last world cup. Technically he was about 26 or 28 when he played for the under 19 world cup. It's great for folks like Will Jacks, Jason Sangha, Rachin Ravindra, Finn Allen and the likes as they well and truly can play men's grade or domestic cricket and succeed. What about the rest of the team? My rationale is simple I'd back any team that is genuinely under 19 in this tourney. It's still ok if they go all the way but I'd rather not see that happen.

My opinion is probably not politically correct and may not please many but opinion is personal. Nothing against any team but just against players that try cheating the system for their personal gains.

On the same note, the age fudging is going to hurt in the long run. If you can cheat now then you are vulnerable to cheat in future for more personal gains. It's unfair on lads that are honest and hard working.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bartlett's meant to be good too, but injury has hampered him this tournament.

Is Pope the real deal?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I am a big fan of Pope myself, gives it a rip, has good variation and is accurate for a leggie of his age. Has already played a few games for the Kensington first grade team, no easy feat as the Browns have traditionally been one of the stronger grade teams here in Adelaide.

SeamUp

International Coach

SeamUp

International Coach
England u19 captain, Harry Brook, suspended and not available for selection for 7th/8th play-off on the go now.

Seniors rubbing off ?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Allen really looks a cut above the rest of this U19 side - including Ravindra. Hope to see him get a few ODI games for Auckland this season.