• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Under 19 World Cup 2018

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ U 19’s recent performances at Junior WC’s have been disappointing. At least this group reached the Q/F’s where inevitably they met a quality side. Today NZ looked out of their depth .Men against boys.
Well yeah although what do you do when teenage cricket is sort of becoming a contest between counterculture individualists like Lloyd Pope or Rachin Ravindra up against entire countries who just haven't really got the liberty or the internet quality to get distracted.

'Let the babies have their bottle', would probably be NZC's position on the issue. Finn Allen and others can take a huge amount of heart from being much better than this legend was at 25 -

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Excellent point but NZC cannot combat changes in social mores with under investment at U 19 level . Offshore exposure is expensive but fundamental. At NZ A level too . NZC has to find and allocate the funds .

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Disappointing result but I guess majority of our under 19s cannot compete against men's teams (the Afghan team ain't under 19s and that's not an excuse for losing) barring a couple. Playing against sub continent teams and we know it's going to be hard given the age fudge. I was reading an article on cricinfo where Paul Wiseman clearly said they don't care about the results. They want to recognize and promote players of substance to first class and beyond. That is the focus of this tourney. I guess in Allen, Ravindra, D Phillips, Murray, Lockrose and Fisher they have a group of players that can carry on playing for their provinces if not right away maybe in a year or two. Chu is not a bad keeper and they can certainly develop him as well. Bhula also has shown that he can score no matter his methods. Wellington hopefully gets him in the mix and work with him to make sure his ability is not wasted.

I'm more keen to know what happens to these players after this exposure. Are the provinces going to back them and follow up rewarding them with places in domestic teams or let them lose their way in club cricket?

We couldn't see much of the likes of Boshier, Patel, Watson etc... maybe they are good as well?

Ravindra's bowling wasn't all that bad but the boys missed a trick by not introducing him when a wicket had fallen. He's our best bowler and he didn't finish his quota of overs in as many as 2 games in 4. Perhaps with the carnage the captain forgot to think. Not sure why Fisher was bowling as many overs when he was missing the length by plenty consistently?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How good would it be if Afghanistan won the whole thing?
Would be a great story, only issue is that I think a lot of their players aren't actually under 18. But still they seem to be producing some really promising players, they're a long way ahead of where Bangladesh was even 10 years ago. Hopefully Rashid Khan for example can play enough to be considered as a genuine gun.

flibbertyjibber

Would be a great story, only issue is that I think a lot of their players aren't actually under 18. But still they seem to be producing some really promising players, they're a long way ahead of where Bangladesh was even 10 years ago. Hopefully Rashid Khan for example can play enough to be considered as a genuine gun.
That is for the authorities etc... clearly they have some talented players coming through though however old they are. Can they step up to the next level, we will soon find out with many.

Daemon

Bangladesh not doing too badly against India here, although their batting isn't great so I doubt they'll get close to this.

cnerd123

likes this
How good would it be if Afghanistan won the whole thing?
I mean, on paper it sounds awesome for one of the newest nations in the game to win, but the reality that a lot of these guys are actually Pakistani players/prospects who've jumped ship to Afghanistan + a strong chance a lot of them aren't actually U-19 is kind of a turn off.

I'd much rather the Afghanistan men's team have genuine success at International level than the 'U-19s'

cnerd123

likes this
Afghanistan are now a Test nation. They're Afghani players/prospects.
Mmmm actually having seen the Afghani's play and heard them speak I can assure you're they're very much Pakistani. Like, all their on-field chatter is in Urdu, not Pashto or Dari. Urdu is not spoken amongst born and raised Afghanistanis. Plus a lot of them play/have played Pakistani domestic cricket. There is atleast one player in the current Senior Afghanistan squad who was a Pakistani U-19 prospect -played regional U-19s in the country.

I don't actually mind that for the senior team, but lets not assume that the whole squad is born-and-bred Afghanistani. A significant percentage of these guys have learned their cricket in Pakistan. They've just found another team they can play for the get away from the Pakistani politics and infrastructure. And that's fine. But let's just call it what it is.

Plus a lot of these U-19s are clearly not U-19.

To clarify - i have a double standard for U-19s and Senior teams where I want the U-19s to be born-and-raised, learned their cricket within that country, because to be this symbolises the strenght of the youth cricket infrastructure within that country. For Senior cricket I just see it as the best of the players available to select - like, the guy can learn all their cricket in one country and represent another and that's fine because he is in the best XI that country can put out, doesn't matter where he comes from. For U-19s, I see it different. So Afgh U-19 having a lot of Pakistan influence bothers me, but doesn't bother me with their Senior team.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
To clarify - i have a double standard for U-19s and Senior teams where I want the U-19s to be born-and-raised, learned their cricket within that country, because to be this symbolises the strenght of the youth cricket infrastructure within that country. For Senior cricket I just see it as the best of the players available to select - like, the guy can learn all their cricket in one country and represent another and that's fine because he is in the best XI that country can put out, doesn't matter where he comes from. For U-19s, I see it different. So Afgh U-19 having a lot of Pakistan influence bothers me, but doesn't bother me with their Senior team.
so basically you're admitting HK sucks and Chapman can play tests for nz?:ph34r:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Mmmm actually having seen the Afghani's play and heard them speak I can assure you're they're very much Pakistani. Like, all their on-field chatter is in Urdu, not Pashto or Dari. Urdu is not spoken amongst born and raised Afghanistanis. Plus a lot of them play/have played Pakistani domestic cricket. There is atleast one player in the current Senior Afghanistan squad who was a Pakistani U-19 prospect -played regional U-19s in the country.

I don't actually mind that for the senior team, but lets not assume that the whole squad is born-and-bred Afghanistani. A significant percentage of these guys have learned their cricket in Pakistan. They've just found another team they can play for the get away from the Pakistani politics and infrastructure. And that's fine. But let's just call it what it is.

So you’re pretty much just rating **** for no reason, good to know.

madrid2000

Cricket Spectator

You gotta be seriously ****ting me? Are you ****ing crazy or what?
You are not Afghan (I am btw), you clearly know **** about our team or our country. The players speak urdu during match??? Can you prove that? Stop lying. I watch their games against NZ and they spoke Pashto, because all of them are ethnic pashtuns.

The days are long gone when Afghanistan got cricketers raised in Pakistan. All of current bunch has learned their cricket in Afghanistan. As a fact of matter Pakistan has 2 Afghan refugees in their team - Mohammad Musa and Saad Khan - both trailed for Afghan u.19 and were found not good enough.

How the hell would we get cricketers from Pakistan when their u.19 cannot even compete with our u.19 team. So they send their best one to us and keep the poor once themselves? LOL. Apply some logic idiot.

Next time you put up such a factual wrong ****** post I will hire an lawyer in BD to sue you for bull****.

And I forgot to tell you. I know its difficult, but not all people are as useless as Bangladeshis. Even after cheating with age for past 25 years they cannot win anything at youth level and hardly produce players that are of much worth. But not all people are as useless. Afghans for instance are progressing at much faster pace. Wait until we have peace in our country, we will produce even better players then.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Really encouraged by Gerard Mwendwa's 4 wickets and a run out. Nice to set up a consolation win for Kenya in what has been a baptism of fire of a tournament