• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Under 19 World Cup 2018

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Jacob Bhula has been smashing it as well, another Wellington lad. Haven't seen much footage of him.. is he an awesome bat? Just seems to have come out of the blue. Plays for Karori and has couple of club 100s.

The Hutt Rec

Just the firebirds selection policies overs the years. I think Ravindra was good enough to play this year for Firebirds. If Lockrose can play still going to school or if Nathan Smith played two years ago still at school for Otago there was no any reason for Ravindra to have not played a single game so far. Good on the lad to continue studies, it's very important as we all know. Don't think its conspiracy but Firebirds have a bad history of managing young talents. They just don't have the acumen or foresight.This is not going to change overnight. Mark my words none of the young ones will get a good run here and they'll be compromised for short term gains.
Edgar traveled with the Hutt Hawks to India last year, I'm sure he's keeping good tabs on Ravindra's progress. I think he's also mentioned in a few interviews that bringing through the next generation is his priority now that he's got the team in a better place.

Taylor and Murdoch have had plenty of opportunities for Wellington over the years and have never 100% cemented a spot. Been impressed with Conway so far, myself. You can give locals all the chances possible but at the end of the day they have to make the most of their chances.

Don't think that will be a problem with Ravindra.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Breetzke has not had a good tournament so far. They would have looked for him and Van Tonder to deliver the big runs. Hermann Rolfes has had a great tournament so far with bat and bowl and he's looking to be in great nick. Thando Ntini has been a hit expensive. Bowling a bit too short for my liking. With Coetzee coming back for the quarter final I'm hoping that they'll find a spot for Fraser Jones.
Breetzke looks very underwhelming recently, lots of talent but the little I`ve seen of him I`m starting to become unsure of his temperament; hoping for the best. Von Tonder and Rolfe have looked very impressive. I had heard/seen little of Rolfe really but I hold out high hopes for him from what I'm seeing now.

nzfan

Edgar traveled with the Hutt Hawks to India last year, I'm sure he's keeping good tabs on Ravindra's progress. I think he's also mentioned in a few interviews that bringing through the next generation is his priority now that he's got the team in a better place.

Taylor and Murdoch have had plenty of opportunities for Wellington over the years and have never 100% cemented a spot. Been impressed with Conway so far, myself. You can give locals all the chances possible but at the end of the day they have to make the most of their chances.

Don't think that will be a problem with Ravindra.
Although I disagree with your take on plenty of opportunities for Matt Taylor and Murdoch, looks like you know more than I do :-) Just want to see good young talents not getting wasted and have to keep seeing over 35 year olds playing for years in all formats for Firebirds blocking out any talent that thrives through.

The Hutt Rec

Although I disagree with your take on plenty of opportunities for Matt Taylor and Murdoch, looks like you know more than I do :-) Just want to see good young talents not getting wasted and have to keep seeing over 35 year olds playing for years in all formats for Firebirds blocking out any talent that thrives through.
Definitely agree with that. :)

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Breetzke looks very underwhelming recently, lots of talent but the little I`ve seen of him I`m starting to become unsure of his temperament; hoping for the best. Von Tonder and Rolfe have looked very impressive. I had heard/seen little of Rolfe really but I hold out high hopes for him from what I'm seeing now.
First time I'm seeing him bat and the manner of his dismissals got me worried a bit. Hopefully he'll go back to provincial cricket and improve on where he's lacking. Rolfes on the other hand looks to have a bit of bite on him. Even without pace he's constantly bowling a good line and looks to get the ball in the right area and when batting he looks to very composed. I now understand why they are having him at 4.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
Ravindra looks a real quality left arm spin bowler. Probably the best bowler in the new zealand side. Plus he just happens to open the batting. Some talent!

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Umpired Breetzke in 2016 when he was touring England with his school.

Looked very talented but didn't strike me as a great reader of game situations. Also seemed to lack a bit of fitness.

He said he didn't intend to stay in the SA system (had a link set up with a county) - seems to have had at least a temporary rethink.

theegyptian

I've watched all (well bits of) England's televised games. Game 1 against Namibia I was like thees opening bowlers are pretty ****. Since they they've ran through bangladesh and Australia.

Straight away against Bangladesh you could tell they were running in harder and bowling a fuller length. Both this game and that game the opposition have batted first but both times there's been a bit of live grass on the wicket and just a bit of movement early on. Easy to say in hindsight but Australia batting first today looks an error.

Bamber's only bowling at 70-72 mph but tbf he's that english type seamer and looks quite skilled. Not disimilar from his teammate at Middlesex Murtagh. No massive swing or pace just bowling wicket to wicket with subtle variations that the batsman are struggling to pick.

Last edited:

theegyptian

I know they are just kids but 2 men back straight bowling at number 9 with aus 100-7 is lol bad. No slip either most of the time.

That trenouth catch was really good.

theegyptian

Trott and Steve Waugh in casual conversation.

Had jeets in England teamwear earlier. Get him in the test team.

Both this game and Bangladesh, England have had a lot of dubious lbw decisions go their way. That one possibly clipping leg.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've watched bits and pieces of a couple of Australia's matches and I'm struggling to identify a good prospect aside from Sangha (and probably Bartlett who is recovering from injury)

Obviously a small sample size and they're just kids but some of the techniques need a lot of work and the bowling is a bit meh

theegyptian

Hmm I'm going to bed. Can't take the heartbreak if they lose this one. Most of the tail can bat but they haven't had much of a knock in the tournament so far. Woods hasn't looked secure either.