• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Under 19 World Cup 2018

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Just looking at the Zim U/19 team and their surnames it looks like their XI generally has about eight white guys in it. Doesn't really make you think they're doing very well in spreading the game to 'non-traditional' communities.
They are not spreading anything to any communities other than ****....

SeamUp

International Coach
Gill already has centuries in both formats of the game, he has potential definitely. Just that Shaw appears more talented than any Indian batsman that have come through the system in ten years.
Oh yeah , that is for sure but it wouldn't surprise me to see Gill go all the way too.

There has been quite a few in recent additions bigged up who never kicked on but I think these two look to have the goods.

Still remember the names.

2016 : Sarfaraz, Pant, Kishan , Bhui

2014 : Samson, Zol, Iyer, Sarfaraz, Bhui, Hooda , Herwadkar

2012 : Chand, Herwedkar, Aparajith. Zol

2010 : Agarwal, KL Rahul, Menaria, Mandeep Singh

SeamUp

International Coach
Just looking at the Zim U/19 team and their surnames it looks like their XI generally has about eight white guys in it. Doesn't really make you think they're doing very well in spreading the game to 'non-traditional' communities.
Yeah it looks an 8/7 split squad wise.

Mangongo made a real effort in building for this 2 year cycle to be fair to him. But it looks like he may have gone too far to pick players. Supposedly they got a programme where they looking at the SA schooled and English schooled Zimbabweans because their school system has gone to pot. What I will say is, his timing of being critical of their school system was wrong during the tournament.

Their team had no fast bowlers and their front 5 batsman bowled before the bowlers at the bottom of the list. I mean Alistair Frost of Hilton College looked lost out there this morning. 3 other SA schooled players played (Harrison, Madhevere, Nenhunzi) and one English schooled who didn't make the XI.

Mangongo on the schools cricketing system.

https://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-news/zimbabwe-turn-grassroots-eye-future/288343

At least there looks more of an effort to try look after their young players.

What I am going to find interesting is if they keep fast-bowler Michael Booth who is at Hilton College.

Last edited:

Nicolas Tector

Cricket Spectator
If Ireland scores 200 against this side, it should be a success.

Don't forget AFGHANISTAN beat Pakistan by 10 or 9 wickets and packed them under 90 twice!! And we were all out 97 against Pakistan..lol

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ravindra looks pretty classy at manoeuvring the ball into gaps, a very un-NZ player in that respect. If Wellington can't find a way to make something of this guy then there's something fundamentally broken with the cricketing set-up down here.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Surprisingly I'm getting a chance to watch some of this NZ U19 match too and Ravindra does indeed look very refined. Bhula looks good too - as the commentators keep pointing out he does have a big weakness outside off, where he doesn't really get either forward or back and then prods/swings a little aimlessly. But in between those he takes the other balls for runs.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Really excellent bullying of the straight breaks from Finn Allen so far.

Also liked the like of Ntini jr. Bowled with decent pace, and was generating some nice movement to beat the outside edge of both left and right handers. 5 overs none for 33 really doesn't do justice to how well he bowled.

Flem274*

123/5
Ravindra looks pretty classy at manoeuvring the ball into gaps, a very un-NZ player in that respect. If Wellington can't find a way to make something of this guy then there's something fundamentally broken with the cricketing set-up down here.
we'll have him

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Did Sullivan get injured in the first match? Bowled only 6 overs and hadn't played since?

NZ have zero pace bowling depth, so can't imagine this he voluntarily omission.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
NZ's collapse seems a pretty common U19 thing - the big couple of batsmen fail and the rest aren't quite up to that level yet. Now to cap it off with one of the bowlers slogging 40.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure, but is a used wicket, at Bay Oval, against South Africa, also Sullivan a 125-130kph bounce bowler. A coach could go heavy on the left-arm spin without Sullivan being injured.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ's collapse seems a pretty common U19 thing - the big couple of batsmen fail and the rest aren't quite up to that level yet. Now to cap it off with one of the bowlers slogging 40.
Not sure we can count Dale Phillips as a bowler so much as a 'stocky staple of the engine room' (ditto Todd Watson), but you envisaged it well.

A bit of a pity too, because I think I want NZ U19 involved in the televised Afghanistan quarterfinal. South Africa rested their 140kph man who moves it both ways today, so they weren't exactly desperate to face Pakistan in a knockout scenario and avoid Afghanistan.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Sort of hoping for a 1 or 2 match injury to Papps or Woodcock later this season to give him a sight taste.

Stoked that he is performing in this tournament.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure we can count Dale Phillips as a bowler so much as a 'stocky staple of the engine room' (ditto Todd Watson), but you envisaged it well.

A bit of a pity too, because I think I want NZ U19 involved in the televised Afghanistan quarterfinal. South Africa rested their 140kph man who moves it both ways today, so they weren't exactly desperate to face Pakistan in a knockout scenario and avoid Afghanistan.
Kinda forgot about D Phillips - having played the last U19 WC too he probably counts as one of the big batsmen.

That partnership with Chu was very good - did what was required to dig NZ out of a hole.

Last edited: