• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is your favorite sledging instance?

digiosmosis

Cricket Spectator
Which is your favorite sledging instance in International Cricket? Mine one is the instance between Virat Kohli and James Faulkner.

Kohli - "You’re wasting your energy. There’s no point, I’ve smashed you enough in my life. Just go and bowl"

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That time Shikhar Dhawan mocked a cripple.

Poor taste and actually sickening, but incredible comedy.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
A toss up between the Hughes/Miandad "Tickets, please" story, & the Johnson/Anderson "not getting any wickets, mate?" jibe.

cnerd123

likes this
McGrath to Ramnaresh Sarwan: “So what does Brian Lara’s di*k taste like?

”Sarwan: “I don’t know. Ask your wife.

McGrath : “If you ever F**king mention my wife again, I’ll F**king rip your F**ing throat out.”

It's my favorite because it reveals both the best and the worst side of sledging. The best - it's a ****ing hilarious comeback. The worst - McGrath's wife was suffering with cancer at the time and Sarwan had no clue.

This is the perfect example both of why sometimes having some banter on the field can provide for some great entertainment, but how also it's probably not wise to pass comments on ones family/loved ones/personal issues, especially when you don't know what they're going through.

I feel this incident also brought the soft rule into modern day cricket where all sledges to do with one's family/loved ones are off the table. Say what you like, but keep it to the individual.

mr_mister

Did McGrath really reply with that? He's the least intimidating person ever. He's only sixty pounds when he's wet and wearing boots

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
McGrath started it though. He started it with something obscene so where did he expect it to end?

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I Laughed at this one from Rod Marsh to Botham:

Rod Marsh : “So how’s your*wife & my kids?”
Ian Botham : “The wife is fine but the kids are retar*ed

apologies for the * but the site censoring wouldn't allow otherwise

Last edited:

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Fred Trueman vs Raman Subba Row

Fred Trueman was bowling and managed to get an edge from the batsman which went between Row’s legs, who was fielding at slip. At the end of the over, Row ran over to Trueman and said:

“Sorry Fred, I should’ve kept my legs closed”.

Trueman replied with: “So should your mother”.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sanga's "weight of all these expectations" sledge to Pollock in the 03 WC was fantastic. He even did his research and got SA's population right. Bonus points for the Rhodesian accent too

Last edited:

morgieb

"Why are you so fat"
"Because every time I **** your wife she gives me a biscuit"

srbhkshk

International Captain
Not in the field, but Naseer - Dravid in the commentary box during 2015 WC was gold (India was playing Bangla in the quarters after winning all 7 of their group games and England had crashed out) -

Naseer - Are you worried that your boys are peaking too early?

Dravid - You have to peak early to reach the quarters, that's bit of the rules of the tournament.

mr_mister

Yeah McGrath was a **** that day. Starts getting personal, then when the other bloke gets personal he throws a tanty. Sadly all too common with Aussie blokes

And before someone mentions his wife had cancer, maybe Sarwan was gay? Neither had any idea about the other dude so McGrath should just copped the sledge with dignity

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Yeah McGrath was a **** that day. Starts getting personal, then when the other bloke gets personal he throws a tanty. Sadly all too common with Aussie blokes

And before someone mentions his wife had cancer, maybe Sarwan was gay? Neither had any idea about the other dude so McGrath should just copped the sledge with dignity
Coincidence or not, at that time, we (me and my friends) thought that Sarwan was gay...but we embraced it, they represented out country.

Lara named his daughter after Sydney. ..remember Lara 277? One of my friends had a crush on Sydney.

Back to topic, McGrath was always jealous of Lara and his successes.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Notes:
-- Sarwan's married to Cindy Parsram.
-- Sarwan had no idea McGrath's wife had cancer
-- A friend of mine told me that McGrath hit on her while his wife was still alive but after her diagnosis.
-- Eddo Brandes made a joke about having *** with McGrath's wife and he didn't react half as badly (before she was diagnosed with cancer). Specifically this exchange.......

"Why are you so fat"
"Because every time I **** your wife she gives me a biscuit"

I Laughed at this one from Rod Marsh to Botham:

Rod Marsh : “So how’s your*wife & my kids?”
Ian Botham : “The wife is fine but the kids are retar*ed

apologies for the * but the site censoring wouldn't allow otherwise
This was almost certainly an urban legend unless the scriptwriter to the film Major League (filmed in 1989) plagiarised the story.

Last edited: