• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is your favorite sledging instance?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah i was just in a mood that week. as a white man i try to make as little fuss as possible about "xenophobic" jokes about australians because they're pretty harmless on the whole but the convict stuff is a pet peeve of mine. my ancestors on one side came out on the second fleet!

and as for S'Kennedy's comment re Barmy Army thats how I still picture them. I have fond memories of them going mental over an Alan Mullally 16 in the boxing day test of 1998, chanting his name in a huge chorus and stuff. I tried to find the footage recently but couldn't.

I was 8 years old myself and it was the first series of cricket I'd seen, so I was a little perplexed at why they were celebrating so much over such a seemingly inconsequential innings from a number 11(it actually ended up propping England to an unlikely victory by a very slim margin of runs) but even back then I found it the chant a little endearing. It's not quite as cute when theyre' dominating sides

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Well what is ''pom'' supposed to mean? The English are called this ridiculous word all the time, and if they reciprocate with 'convict', in the face of a barrage of xenophobic abuse I might add which generally greets them when they arrive in Australia, it is now apparently the wrong thing to do?

My Auntie lived in Perth for a few years but ended up returning as she didn't like the people very much.

TNT

Banned
Well what is ''pom'' supposed to mean? The English are called this ridiculous word all the time, and if they reciprocate with 'convict', in the face of a barrage of xenophobic abuse I might add which generally greets them when they arrive in Australia, it is now apparently the wrong thing to do?

My Auntie lived in Perth for a few years but ended up returning as she didn't like the people very much.
There are a few explanations for pom, the first and most likely is convicts had POHM stamped on their clothes which stood for prisoners of her majesty so they were called poms (silent H). Another is when the English come to Australia they start to turn red like a pomegranate ripening until they are bright red, obviously shortened to pommie.

As for your Auntie its probably best she went home,

S.Kennedy

There are a few explanations for pom, the first and most likely is convicts had POHM stamped on their clothes which stood for prisoners of her majesty so they were called poms (silent H). Another is when the English come to Australia they start to turn red like a pomegranate ripening until they are bright red, obviously shortened to pommie.

As for your Auntie its probably best she went home,
The first explanation, shouldn't it be you who are the 'poms' then? It makes no sense.

She now lives in Scotland.

TNT

Banned
The first explanation, shouldn't it be you who are the 'poms' then? It makes no sense.

She now lives in Scotland.
Not really, a lot of Australians don't come from England, a lot of the successful ones are from Italy, Germany, Holland ect. Poms are more whingers so that's why it has stuck with the English, bit like your auntie, comes over here and whinges about the people.

S.Kennedy

Not really, a lot of Australians don't come from England, a lot of the successful ones are from Italy, Germany, Holland ect. Poms are more whingers so that's why it has stuck with the English, bit like your auntie, comes over here and whinges about the people.
You misquote me. This origin of the term, your first ''prisoners of her majesty'' origin, means it inherently emanates from the penal period and is actually connected to the first (white) Australians, i.e. convicts. It makes absolutely no sense to apply it to free Englishmen during either that period or the present day. Or to put it another way, If you are an Australian descended from a prisoner who was sentenced to the antipodes then you are a ''pom''.

The term is nonsensical.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really like and admire the subtlety and intelligence of Lyon's "headbutting" comment a week ago.

TNT

Banned
You misquote me. This origin of the term, your first ''prisoners of her majesty'' origin, means it inherently emanates from the penal period and is actually connected to the first (white) Australians, i.e. convicts. It makes absolutely no sense to apply it to free Englishmen during either that period or the present day. Or to put it another way, If you are an Australian descended from a prisoner who was sentenced to the antipodes then you are a ''pom''. The term is nonsensical.
The term pom is for people that come from england, once you have been here and become a citizen you are then Australian.

S.Kennedy

The term pom is for people that come from england, once you have been here and become a citizen you are then Australian.
Well it depends on who you decide are the 'first Australians'. For many, that would reside with the first fleet, long before Australia was federated.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
What an absolute load of crap........and how come you think you can make the rules??

I've lived in Aus for 24 years mate, my wife's family all call me (in the kindest possible way) a POM and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm a resident here but haven't taken up citizenship, that is something I may or may not do in the future........but I can tell you now even if I do I will always consider myself English.

S.Kennedy

What an absolute load of crap........and how come you think you can make the rules??

I've lived in Aus for 24 years mate, my wife's family all call me (in the kindest possible way) a POM and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm a resident here but haven't taken up citizenship, that is something I may or may not do in the future........but I can tell you now even if I do I will always consider myself English.
I bet you are starting to develop a bit of an accent you cheeky sod haha? Strewth sheila David Boon is on the box.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I bet you are starting to develop a bit of an accent you cheeky sod haha? Strewth sheila David Boon is on the box.
There is a twang yes, apparently when I start drinking the English accent comes back out in spades.......perhaps the reason I drink so much lol.

It's actually a funny thing, even though I have picked up an accent, over here everyone still picks me for being English.......but when I go home the accent is sufficient that everyone thinks I'm an Aussie. It sucks really.

TNT

Banned
There is a twang yes, apparently when I start drinking the English accent comes back out in spades.......perhaps the reason I drink so much lol.

It's actually a funny thing, even though I have picked up an accent, over here everyone still picks me for being English.......but when I go home the accent is sufficient that everyone thinks I'm an Aussie. It sucks really.
Hint: Australians wash at least once a day.

TNT

Banned

You seem a bit confused, your not an Australian and even your family call you a POM. Why would you change your status to Australian and still call yourself English.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hint: Australians wash at least once a day.
Hint: For the most part Austraians have no sense of humour.........their standard MO is to take failings of their own and then invent stereotypes of others with said failings. Though to be fair as a nation you really are very good at doing this.

TNT

Banned
Hint: For the most part Austraians have no sense of humour.........their standard MO is to take failings of their own and then invent stereotypes of others with said failings. Though to be fair as a nation you really are very good at doing this.
We may not have a sense of humour but we do have empathy and I feel your pain.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
You seem a bit confused, your not an Australian and even your family call you a POM. Why would you change your status to Australian and still call yourself English.
Not confused at all mate.....it's crystal clear.

Firstly why would you say "even" my familly?........that implies it's some sort of bad thing. There may be certain benifits for me in taking citizenship.......not that Ive ever felt that Ive missed out in not being able to vote in your elections, but I certainly did feel that with the SSM marrage vote. Plus there are certain advantages in being able to travel on 2 passports.

But as said even if i do opt to take the option it will not mean I dont still consider myself English.