• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is your favorite sledging instance?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The one about Mathew Hoggard's farts is a charming example. Admittedly the Johnson Family is hilarious.

I'm not saying that some of them are well meaning but being stuck in a stand with them is horrid if you actually want to watch cricket. None of them actually watch much cricket you see but spend the entire time going back-and-forth to the beer stalls. Their ringleader, the guy with the long blond hair, spends the entire test match facing the wrong way! And you do not want children anywhere near those stands - no no no.

They are banned at Lord's

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
That bit with Freddy, I think it was against NZ? When he said "oh mind the windows" and the guy went for a big hit and got out lol

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The one about Mathew Hoggard's farts is a charming example. Admittedly the Johnson Family is hilarious.

I'm not saying that some of them are well meaning but being stuck in a stand with them is horrid if you actually want to watch cricket. None of them actually watch much cricket you see but spend the entire time going back-and-forth to the beer stalls. Their ringleader, the guy with the long blond hair, spends the entire test match facing the wrong way! And you do not want children anywhere near those stands - no no no.

This is an interesting post.

burr

State Vice-Captain
A toss up between the Hughes/Miandad "Tickets, please" story, & the Johnson/Anderson "not getting any wickets, mate?" jibe.
That is a personal favourite - also Gough to Lee with the ghost imitation.

The best sledges are when someone is throwing foul-mouthed abuse and the sledger comes back with a witty, non-abusive retort.

AndrewB

There is not much between the ears you know with these cricketers? Michael Vaughan and Swann were both on celebrity editions of mastermind, which for those who do not know is a very intense high-brow British quiz programme, and they are thick as two short planks.
Graeme Swann did OK on Celebrity Mastermind - scored 20, won his episode (which you can see here).

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Kennedy you really shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about. The "ringleader" as you call him is Vic Flowers , who I met in Adelaide in 2010. Judging by your posts on here Vic would have forgotten more about cricket than you will ever know. He is incredibly knowledgeable on the game and has dedicated his life to it and following the England cricket team around the world. It is absolute bollocks to suggest he spends entire tests with his back to the play..........he has one song that may get belted out 2 or 3 times during the days play when he faces the crowd to get them going. The rest of the time he is watching the cricket just like you would.

From your posts you've encountered what you're calling the BA at home ODI games......this is not where you'll find the real BA mate. Go watch a test series overseas and then you might have half an idea what they're all about.

This is an interesting post.
Interesting as in in full of **** and falsehoods like most of Kennedy's posts??

Burgey

Nah, interesting because on the one hand it hints at the inappropriateness of some of the BA’s chants and expresses a bit of self-righteous disdain for them as a group you wouldn’t want kids around; then says how great one of their chants was which targeted the family of a player.

The chant about Johnson’s family was a ****ing disgrace. It would be as tasteful as an organised mob of Australian supporters like those ****wit Fanatics singing about Jono Trott or Marcus Trescothick’s mental health, while inadvertently demonstrating how poor their own is.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I did pick up how previously he called the "his bowling is ****e" song a national disgrace but found the Johnson family song "hilarious".........I'm with you on the later, extremely bad taste but I think at the time the former was just brilliant.

The type of support the Barmy Army brings is not for everyone, I do get that and they will always have their critics. But at the end of the day they have been very good for test cricket, do an incredible amount of work for charity and they are the reason that England tours are the most profitable and why they play so much test cricket.

There are 2 things that grind my cricketing gears and get me riled up and defensive; one is the underrating (needless ****canning) of Jimmy Anderson and the other is incorrect and misinformed criticism of the BA.......if you don't like them just say you don't like the noise. Don't make up **** about them just being a drunken mob who know nothing about cricket and don't even watch the play, because after 15 years of having a lot to do with them I can say first hand that nothing could be further from the truth.

Edit:

And as for having your kids around the BA, I would love nothing more than to take my 2 to a day on the hill with them at Adelaide and would have no qualms about it at all.

Last edited:

Burgey

I don’t mind a crowd giving it to a player re their performances on the field. I do think anything to do with family stuff is way ott.

I don’t mind the BA that much tbh, but then I never have to sit near them. The noise is no worse than any other rowdy group of supporters at a game. I’d say the loudest group I’ve heard were the SL supporters at the WC out here.

Redbacks

International Captain
When Daryl Cullinan went to visit a psychologist to help him deal with the mental side of facing Shane Warne. When he first get's to the crease:

'What colour was the couch?'

S.Kennedy

Alright alright. I cannot claim to understand, nor particular desire to understand, the minutia of the Barmy Army, their songs, their personnel, their habits, and mating rituals. A lot of cricket fans do dislike them though so you cannot claim I'm the only one here.

Are you a proper ''Barmy'', going to the Ashes with the obligatory striped convict suit, plastic ball and chain attire?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Alright alright. I cannot claim to understand, nor particular desire to understand, the minutia of the Barmy Army, their songs, their personnel, their habits, and mating rituals. A lot of cricket fans do dislike them though so you cannot claim I'm the only one here.

Are you a proper ''Barmy'', going to the Ashes with the obligatory striped convict suit, plastic ball and chain attire?
You're certainly not the only one that doesn't appreciate the atmosphere that the BA brings to cricket, and that's fine.......it's not to everyones taste. All I ask though is that you don't make inconsistent and ill informed judgements on them.

No I don't dress up when going to the cricket, I admire the dedication of those that do but **** that when it's 40C.

Cow

Banned
The Barmy Army obviously lack the poetic skills and originality of the Aus fanatics and their "oi, oi, oi" chant which I think all would agree will never get tiresome and is lyrically one of the wittiest pieces of prose ever to come out of Australia.

S.Kennedy

From my observation the Barmies are a very British thing, in that they were conceived when England couldn't beat a drunken pub team, the nineties. The fans would travel out and support their team even when they were 4-0 down in the series, fifth test, 9 second innings wickets down and trailing 400 runs. It is a British self-deprecating ironic thing. If you look at classic British comedy it is about down-trodden and ''life's losers'' who find humour in their predicement.

The Aussies are obsessed with winning so find it all a bit bizarre.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
and you guys want to lose the reputation of upper class snobs? i hate the convict nonsense, see it all the time over the internet. some poor bloke sent here for stealing bread to avoid starvation hardly deserves **** flung at him
I wouldn't let the convict stuff get to you. The funniest thing about all of it was the Poms had a choice of 2 countries and they ****ing stayed where they were. It's a bit like slagging off your workmate for winning the lotto after they offered you the chance of a spot in the syndicate and you declined.