• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft suggestion: "Never met" XI

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So whats's the best possible XI one could make under the rules of the draft? My attempt.

WG Grace
Jack Hobbs
Steve Smith
Greame Pollock
Garry Sobers
-
Adam Gilchrist
Richard Hadlee
Curtly Ambrose
-
Bill O'Reilly

Need to fill 2 spots with quality players.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
WG Grace
Jack Hobbs
Steve Smith
Greame Pollock
Garry Sobers
Vijay Hazare
Adam Gilchrist
Richard Hadlee
Curtly Ambrose
Frank Tyson
Bill O'Reilly

OK, so we have an XI. Can anyone better it?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, it's not easy to stuff the team with ATGs! Steve Smith and Dale Steyn are best players to add from post Gilchrist era. One of them would have to make it to this team.

Himannv

International Coach
I found it was challenging to pick 6 top batsmen because many of them seem to have played alongside each other. Picking Sobers means you can't pick any of the top post war players who played around the same time. The 80's is full of top fast bowlers, which means you can only have one of them. Looking back, I felt I was taking a big risk by picking both Sobers and Imran, but on hindsight, it was probably better to pick them and have the best of their eras that picking the second or third best of those generations to gain a few years of respite. The South Africans were key picks for everyone I think because they were the ones who gave us the loopholes needed to fill in the XI.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, I had 4 South Africans in the team! Picking Lillee instead of Hadlee or Imran at that stage allowed me to pick Dean Jones. Useful but not a game changer.

Slifer

International Captain
This draft wasn't hard at all. Just pick a few south Africans and that opens you up to pick west Indians, Indians and Pakistanis. Pick Holding and you're free to pick any Pakistani from his time. There's more but this was a cool draft idea.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This draft wasn't hard at all. Just pick a few south Africans and that opens you up to pick west Indians, Indians and Pakistanis. Pick Holding and you're free to pick any Pakistani from his time. There's more but this was a cool draft idea.
I like the Ambrose + Gilchrist combo better. Allows you to pick the greatest wicketkeeper batsman and a tier-1 bowler from overlapping era.

Himannv

International Coach
But there are no South Africans in your side and you didn't pick Holding? :laugh:

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
I like the Ambrose + Gilchrist combo better. Allows you to pick the greatest wicketkeeper batsman and a tier-1 bowler from overlapping era.
I mean Gilchrist is good,decent pick, but I don't think Gilly is a top pick in a test draft.
Its a bit exaggerated imo, to say Gilly is a top tier pick.

I mean its not like he's the best WK ever, plus there are enough and more keepers who are decent with the bat.
If you can get two top tier fast bowlers, that's a big plus imo.
Holding+Wasim/Waqar+Steyn is a really good combo to have.

Himannv

International Coach
I mean Gilchrist is good,decent pick, but I don't think Gilly is a top pick in a test draft.
Its a bit exaggerated imo, to say Gilly is a top tier pick.

I mean its not like he's the best WK ever, plus there are enough and more keepers who are decent with the bat.
:blink:

He's probably the best wicketkeeper batsman of all time. Picking him is basically like picking an allrounder IMO. He's a first round pick or at least a second round pick just like all the best allrounders.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
You need to pick two great fast bowlers within first 3-4 picks imo.
Gilly is fine,but definitely not a top tier pick.Not like he's the best keeper ever.There are better keepers than him,so I'd pick Healy,Dujon or Bari in round 7/8 and pick a genuine bat/bowlers till then happily

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I discovered Lillee and Marshall never met. One can pick a good team around that. Any other takers for creating a best XI within the rules of this draft?

PS. Seems like we all loved this idea given we are still discussing well after the draft is over :D

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
You need to pick two great fast bowlers within first 3-4 picks imo.
Gilly is fine,but definitely not a top tier pick.Not like he's the best keeper ever.There are better keepers than him,so I'd pick Healy,Dujon or Bari in round 7/8 and pick a genuine bat/bowlers till then happily
Ambrose is top tier. Hope you are not suggesting he isn't.

bagapath

International Captain
As someone born in the 70s I always wondered what we've missed out by not having a Holding vs Miandad or a Holding vs Zaheer Abbas battle at the test level. This excellent draft idea gave us an opportunity to think through such near misses. Thanks

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Without checking, I think Lillee and Sobers have faced off in tests.

EDIT: They didn't

Last edited: