• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ram Slam T20 2017/18

GRAB

First Class Debutant
By far the boringest format by far (if you enjoy bat vs. ball, not bat bs. boundary), but there ain't much else, and it's ON THE TV...

What's up with the selections? Some seriously weird choices. Notably:
1. Nqweni for Warriors, a bowler, who didn't bowl. Black player #4, so not quotas precisely; were Vallie, Fortuin, Nyaku, Koopman, Ngoepe (in that order) all not available?
2. Nhlebela for Dolphins, 3rd spinner, batting #11. Luckily, top 4 had so many chances it didn't matter... But they were at least a batsman light! Phehlukwayo at 6?! And they had 7 bowlers if you count Makhanya. Again black player #4, so not quotas precisely; were neither Muthusamy (can also bowl!) or Chetty available? (Not that either are noted for a hitting skillset). I think Natal's batting depth below that is quite poor though...

Kruger for Knights has often looked like a player without a certain role, but I know he has some hitting credentials, so makes more sense in T20... (Mind you, add experience and a bigger boep and he could be the next Robbie Frylinck.)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
First time I've seen Ngidi since he's been back.... and has he bulked up quite a bit or is it just me? I worry about that because he had a nice smooth action previously and now looks a little more face on. I hope they have not changed his action to much because it generally seems to have a negative effect on the future. Thinking de Lange had the same thing happen; we are short of some quality fast bowlers at the moment and I don't think we can afford to lose his talent.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I hope they have not changed his action to much because it generally seems to have a negative effect on the future. Thinking de Lange had the same thing happen;
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that happening to Parnell too, and we all know how well that turned out...

It's a tricky thing to deal with. If there's something in a player's action that makes him prone to injuries then you definitely want to try to adjust that, but the problem is that you could end up changing the very thing that's made him so effective as a bowler.

Bahseph

State Captain
He looked uber tentative in that first over. I think he settled down after he bowled that jaffer about fourth ball.

SeamUp

International Coach
Most intrigued about seeing a Lions line-up with 4 Saints boys in : Rickelton, Ackerman, Mulder, Rabada and all under 22. Cricket factory.

The Highveld Lions’ rising all-rounder Wiaan Mulder wants to use the Ram Slam T20 Challenge this season to enhance his reputation and continue impressing Proteas coach Ottis Gibson and the selectors.

The highly-rated 19-year-old Mulder‚ who made his international debut in the third ODI against Bangladesh in East London last month‚ said he is excited by the prospect of playing against established Proteas like AB de Villiers‚ Hashim Amla‚ Faf du Plessis and Quinton de Kock in the Ram Slam.

“If I do well in this T20 competition‚ it will help me with confidence and I will take a lot out of it because of the quality of international players that I will be playing against.

“This tournament will be a good learning platform and it will put me in good stead to progress to international level‚” Mulder said this week as the Lions prepare to open their campaign with a clash against bitter rivals the Titans at SuperSport Park on Sunday.

Asked if he feels any pressure going into his first full season as a professional at the age of 19‚ Mulder said he is going to have a little bit of fun.

“I am just going to try and express myself. I know that guys will be analysing me this season but I am just going to go out there try my best on the day against the quality of opposition that will be out there‚ and not worry too much about other things‚” he said.

“Whatever happens will happen but I strongly believe that I am in the best environment to succeed here at the Lions.”

Mulder’s coach‚ Geoffrey Toyana‚ said the Lions’ technical team will do whatever it takes to protect their rising star so he can fulfill his undoubted potential.

“We are fortunate that he (Wiaan) is a smart kid with his feet firmly on the ground despite the good things that have happened to him already. Since he has come into our setup‚ he has done all the right things and he has worked hard‚” Toyana said.

“There are times when we speak to him and you will swear that he has played for five to six years already. He is a positive character‚ he does all the right things and asks the right questions which are good signs.”

This season‚ Toyana will give opportunities to two other younger players in the form of Marques Ackerman and Ryan Rickelton‚ who he said deserve their opportunities in the big time after impressing at junior level.

“Ackerman comes from the North West Dragons‚ he and old Saints boy and this will be like I am picking boys from St Stithians like ‘KG’ [Kagiso Rabada] and Wiaan.

“He is a batter in the middle order and he brings energy to the side. He has done very well in the past two to three years for the Dragons and he deserves his opportunity.

“Rickelton played Africa T20 Cup for us‚ he opens the batting and he is a very good quality cricketer. He reminds me of a young Quinton de Kock with free hands.

“I think as we move forward in our setup our young players in terms of batters are coming through nicely.”

GRAB

First Class Debutant
So what do we make of Nabe, who has come from basically nowhere due to Cobras, who along with Knights have probably struggled the most with quotas... Gone through Peter, Moreki, and Qwabe and seem to have lost interest in Mgijima's medium pace... Effective?

SeamUp

International Coach
Tabraiz Shamsi looks to be bowling nicely at the moment.

But not a great deal of excitement in terms of quality outside the one's we know at this moment.

You could say that Duminy, Miller, Behardien are showing why they being picked in limited overs squads.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
20 Over is never going to be good place to see new quality - batsmen don't play themselves in, must just swing for it; bowlers are rarely rewarded for line & length on the dead pitches (Philander showed it was possible), but have to bowl all sorts of change-ups (and learning those mostly seems to ruin bowlers... See Parnell, Hendricks, Philander even for a time...)

Van Der Dussen and Erwee had good games. Vd Dussen remains enigmatic and will probably go into another slump soon... Linde impressed with the ball, but for once we have a lot of spinners to choose from

SeamUp

International Coach
I think you can see a bit about a player even in T20.

The bowling and fielding has been of such poor quality often. Under pressure they show a lack of skills. We also lacking any real pace around the system. Just good to see Ngidi back and Dupavillon will be back in January.

Probably Mulder's seam bowling has impressed me most. Got extra pace, bowled good bumpers, got a good change up and bowling yorkers. Great last over on Friday. But it is how he is running in with purpose that is impressed me most. Wonder if this is already Gibson's influence.

The batting is a bit boring. Possibly watching R.Hendricks, De Bruyn & Zondo as guys pushing for chances but I just can't give myself the confidence these guys can go to the next level.

Vd Dussen is a product of our new system. Struggles to be consistent with not even the strongest bowlers (as groups of 4/5 in our system) then finds another score to stay in the team. This in turn doesn't find potential Proteas but just promotes mediocrity.

Erwee does look decent though. Looks very Arno Jacobs like boundary hitter. Suppose he can be one to watch as a late bloomer like Frylinck for T20 cricket.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think you can see a bit about a player even in T20.

The bowling and fielding has been of such poor quality often. Under pressure they show a lack of skills. We also lacking any real pace around the system. Just good to see Ngidi back and Dupavillon will be back in January.

Probably Mulder's seam bowling has impressed me most. Got extra pace, bowled good bumpers, got a good change up and bowling yorkers. Great last over on Friday. But it is how he is running in with purpose that is impressed me most. Wonder if this is already Gibson's influence.

The batting is a bit boring. Possibly watching R.Hendricks, De Bruyn & Zondo as guys pushing for chances but I just can't give myself the confidence these guys can go to the next level.

Vd Dussen is a product of our new system. Struggles to be consistent with not even the strongest bowlers (as groups of 4/5 in our system) then finds another score to stay in the team. This in turn doesn't find potential Proteas but just promotes mediocrity.

Erwee does look decent though. Looks very Arno Jacobs like boundary hitter. Suppose he can be one to watch as a late bloomer like Frylinck for T20 cricket.
Bowling and fielding has been terrible overall...

Hendricks has impressed me. De Bruyn and Zondo look like the current guys to be in line. But with ABdV coming back cant see a chance for anybody soon.

Mulder has been fantastic, and I 100% agree he has benefited hanging out with the international players.

As a side note, think it is terrible that the Titans have so many top players in one team. Not good for SA cricket. SS was saying the CSA should have stepped in and insisted that some of the Titans squad gets loaned to some of the other teams. It has happened before so I dont know why not do it now? But it is tough.

SeamUp

International Coach
Bowling and fielding has been terrible overall...

Hendricks has impressed me. De Bruyn and Zondo look like the current guys to be in line. But with ABdV coming back cant see a chance for anybody soon.

Mulder has been fantastic, and I 100% agree he has benefited hanging out with the international players.

As a side note, think it is terrible that the Titans have so many top players in one team. Not good for SA cricket. SS was saying the CSA should have stepped in and insisted that some of the Titans squad gets loaned to some of the other teams. It has happened before so I dont know why not do it now? But it is tough.
Always loved watching Hendricks bat. Just unfortunately looks like one of those frustrating players. Good too watch but no consistency and then when it matters to knock the door down can't score a run. In many ways Zondo is similar.

De Bruyn seems to have fallen so far back. With his strong right hand grip everything needs to be in sink. I know he is only 25 but there just seems to many blots on the radar like SA A tour to India, SA A tour to England and the types of dismissals against New Zealand and England he had. Got so many things to iron out.

I'm starting to hope Gibson can get Rossouw back onside. :D

Batting wise I know this is the T20 thread but I want to start seeing Rickelton, Ackerman , Smith play (although my enthusiasm has turned to concern for Smith but he still keeps making squads so they must believe in him - it's what I am hanging on to). Are these guys the batting future with the likes of Hamza & Breetzke ? Need these guys to have 2 solid seasons before our big lot pack their bags.

SeamUp

International Coach
Bit of a joke when guys who are in the top tier below the internationals pushing for SA A and SA selection can't even play like von Berg & Klaasen

Elgar had to come in for AB last game. Imagine if Faf was fit and when M.Morkel/Morris have to come back in.

It's their base. They SA internationals - I don't think they would want to move to another union and the other union would want to use their players.

Just a clear stuff up of a system.

The sooner we back to the Proteas playing as one the better. With the odd talent filtering through and not having to spend to long in our domestic system.

SeamUp

International Coach
With no real real quality seamers fit Dolphins are playing all of Maharaj, Subrayen & Tahir in the nob-televised game.

Here is Lungi...

SeamUp

International Coach
Oh yes Dale is looking nice with his away shappers.

Beat Temba with a peach then Temba responds with a cracking square drive.

SeamUp

International Coach
Bavuma out to spin again. In the circumstances the shot wasn't needed.

Time for Jason Smith. Desperately out of form but we desperately need a young player to start pushing JP and Behardien.

Last edited: