• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Steve Waugh a selfish cricketer? - yes according to Chappelli

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There was an article in yesterday's Herald Sun where Chappelli named his 20 greatest Ashes cricketers, and left Steve Waugh (and Boycott) out, claiming that Steve Waugh is "selfish".

Unlike some, I generally enjoy Chappelli's take on the game and his commentary, but I've never understood his stance against Steve Waugh. He seems to belittle him at every opportunity, and I've never seen any reason.

FWIW, Steve Waugh averaged 58 against England, and averaged a whopping 74 in England over the course of 22 tests played there. Chappelli include Doug Walters in his list, in spite of the fact he averaged 35 against England and only 25 in England.

The fact of the matter is Steve Waugh is more than likely the best performed batsman in Eng/Aus contests in the last 50 years, and Chappelli leaving him out is completely absurd.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With Chappelli on this one - Waugh was never interested in making a game of it - he was always intent on grinding the oppo into the ground

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought the claim of selfish was due to him not farming the strike with the tail enders so they could get out and he could boost his average with a not out

Red

I thought the claim of selfish was due to him not farming the strike with the tail enders so they could get out and he could boost his average with a not out
I legit think Waugh believed in his tail enders to be able to hold an end up. Farming the strike causes as many problems as it solves imo, manufactured shots for singles at the end of an over and run out possibilities that weren't really necessary.

Red

Chappell hated Waugh from the moment he put the hook shot away.
Is this all there is to it?

Chappell also uses his article to have a dig at Botham too.

Guy can definitely hold a long grudge.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've had a chance to look at his list. So much I don't agree with, though at least he sets out his biases at the beginning of the article. A few interesting ones included - I think Anderson and Swan are good selections in general; whether they should be in the spots he's picked them is very questionable imo. I think GC is too high, as great a player as he is. Dougie, much as I love him, really shouldn't be included imo. His record in England is awful. Warner shouldn't be there either, not by a long shot. Botham as low as 14 is ridiculous. Root and Stokes being there at all likewise - they're in the same category as Warner and Smith imo, too early to say. cook certainly worthy of inclusion imo.

The exclusion of Waugh is so transparent it's basically glass, Horrendous. Likewise TOTAB at 24, ****ing hopeless.

the big bambino

International Captain
At least he set out his reasons for his comments on Botham, but lets face it that is all grudge. Generally the list is so inconsistent, venegeful and splenetic that I rate it amongst the 25 worst ashes articles ever written.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Just for convenience, here's his top 25:
1. Dennis Lillee
2. Shane Warne
3. Greg Chappell
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Glenn McGrath
6. Jimmy Anderson
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Doug Walters
9. Dave Warner
10. Kevin Pietersen
11. Jeff Thomson
12. Steve Smith
13. Joe Root
14. Ian Botham
15. Ben Stokes
16. Rodney Marsh
17. Alan Knott
18. Ian Healy
19. Mark Waugh
20. David Gower
21. Graeme Swann
22. Michael Slater
23. Mitchell Johnson
24. Allan Border
25. Alastair Cook

Red

Ben Stokes- 9 Ashes tests vs Australia, batting average of 30, 26 wickets at 33. Ranked 15

Steve Waugh- 44 Ashes tests, batting average of 58. Cant get a gig.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
For me Broad is the best Ashes performer of my time, at worst he's second behind Pietersen. Him not being there is a joke when there are contemporary players whose legacy is one good series.

But it's pretty obvious Chappell is just one of those people who uses these lists to show off which cricketers he likes and which ones he doesn't, so it's really not worth losing sleep over.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Well, he wasn't known as Selfish Roger in Sydney grade cricket without a reason.....

.....like the time he was on the verge of getting dropped from the ODI squad, he rediscovered his bowling ability and gave himself a long spell in a Test match.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I'm actually surprised he had Beefy as high as 14 given the antipathy between the two. Stokes and Warner ahead of guys like Marsh, Slater, Border and Cook! Johnson so low despite his 2013/14 heroics! Root could use a great Ashes also. This list is absurd.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marsh has to be a purely sentimental selection, surely. Made runs in the Centenary Test but hardly a stellar record in Ashes tests.

I mean, Haddin has more impact in Ashes series afaic than Marsh did.

How the **** Terry Alderman doesn’t get a gig is beyond me. Two 40+ wicket away series is he stuff of legend.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Chapelli's mind has gone to Chapati.

Not having Waugh is just completely ridiculous.

I'd also like to know where the idea of SRW being selfish comes from? From what I saw he usually gave everything for Aus. Surely it can't be something as stupid as the whole farming the strike thing?