• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Ever First Class Attack

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The recent NSW vs WA game has got me wondering what the best ever first class attack has been. I'm sure there were probably some great WI FC attacks through the 70s/80s. But which ones were the best that took the field in an actual game?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The recent NSW vs WA game has got me wondering what the best ever first class attack has been. I'm sure there were probably some great WI FC attacks through the 70s/80s. But which ones were the best that took the field in an actual game?
Barbados must have had Garner and Marsall together. Surrey in the '50s, Laker, Lock, Bedser twins, Loader. Notts, Rice and Hadlee. Somerset, Beefy and Gardner. Notts had a good one last season, Broad, Pattinson, Ball.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Barbados must have had Garner and Marsall together. Surrey in the '50s, Laker, Lock, Bedser twins, Loader. Notts, Rice and Hadlee. Somerset, Beefy and Gardner. Notts had a good one last season, Broad, Pattinson, Ball.
There would've been times where they had Garner, Marshall, Daniel and Clarke playing, that is a very strong attack.

Surrey also looks pretty great.

There may have been times where Victoria fielded Reiffel, Fleming, Miller, Warne, Harvey. That's a pretty good one.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I feel like McGrath, Lee and MacGill all played a SS/PM game together at some point.

SillyCowCorner1

I remember a time when Kevin Darlington, Reon King, Colin Stuart, Mahendra Nagamootoo, and Neil 'the Beast from the East' McGarell all played for Guyana at the same time in Busta Cup cricket

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Dale. Bichel. Kasperwicz. Noffkee.
Qld had Scott Muller back then too. Also McDermott, but his career didn't overlap with Noffkee's. Edit: plus the spin of Paul Jackson.

Victoria's lineup from that era is pretty awesome also. Fleming, Reiffel, Warne, Saker.

Last edited:

morgieb

Qld had Scott Muller back then too. Also McDermott, but his career didn't overlap with Noffkee's. Edit: plus the spin of Paul Jackson.

Victoria's lineup from that era is pretty awesome also. Fleming, Reiffel, Warne, Saker
And Miller. Matt Inness too.

Queensland also had Joe Dawes. Some quite strong attacks around that period.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't help but be the arsehole here and point out that Tests are First Class games...
Something I only learned very recently. But for the purposes of this thread people would ignore tests. Otherwise we'll boil it down to whichever Pakistan support bowler happened to be the best when Imran, Wasim and Waqar played together, whichever the best Windies quartet was, McGrath Warne Gillespie and Bichel/Lee/Kasper or Lindwall, Miller and the best spinner to ever be on the same team as them (Grimmett?).

But I'm not totally interested in that. I'm interested in a domestic attack that was as close to an ATG attack as possible.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
If Marshall-Garner-Clarke-Daniel happened (and there's nothing to suggest that it didn't), this would win hands down and the rest of the debate is for the second best domestic attack.

Viv Richards averaged 27-something against Barbados. That's enough to tell me that they were the best domestic attack.

The Barbadian bowling attack in the Marshall-Garner era, also included
-- Keith Boyce
-- Franklyn Stephenson
-- Ezra Moseley

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Stephenson and Moseley were serious good and Tony gray. Stephenson imo could've been in the mix of 80s all rounders but for...

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Did McGrath, Clark, Lee and MacGill ever turn out together for NSW?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Wonder if Lindwall, Miller, Davidson and Benaud ever played together for NSW also?