• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Ever First Class Attack

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Baker as well. Feel like Kuggs and him will suffer the most looking at that.

Spare a thought for Corey,

CDG takes his international place.

CDG takes his IPL place.

Now he is staring down the barrel of losing his FC place to CDG and having to play club cricket.

Which to be fair is fitting, cos Corey (as much as I am a fan) has been playing club level cricket for over a year now post injuries.

a massive zebra

International Captain
The Yorkshire attack in the first few years of the 20th century was incredibly successful.

Wilfred Rhodes 206 wickets @ 12.29
Schofield Haigh 145 @ 14.16

Wilfred Rhodes 196 @ 13.59
George Hirst 135 @ 16.75

Wilfred Rhodes 140 @ 12.48
Schofield Haigh 123 @ 11.99

Wilfred Rhodes 143 @ 14.72
George Hirst 118 @ 12.79

In the county championship between 1900 and 1902, Yorkshire won 49 matches and lost only 2. They didn't lose any of their 41 away matches over this period, and at home they were unbeaten in their 38 matches against everyone except Somerset. The Surrey side of the 1950s was not this dominant, and generally lost a few matches each year.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
International duties nothwithstanding, how will they fit all those blokes into a side? They’re all very decent fc cricketers
1. Brownlie
2. Flynn
3. Williamson
4. Watling
5. de Grandhomme
6. Santner
7. Kuggelijn
8. Sodhi
9. Wagner
10. Southee
11. Boult

12. Anderson

For literally one game, if that.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
weird that no-one has actually nominated the attack that inspired the thread: Hazlewood, Cummins, Starc and Lyon w Henriques as all-rounder

They might have pre-2000, but post 2000 I can only be bothered to find:

Pura Cup at Sydney, Oct 25-28 2005 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

which also includes Bracken. The previous season, 2004/05, NSW had an attack of Clark, MacGill, Bracken & Nicholson which played just about every game. They all took 40+ wickets at under 25. It's somewhat soured by Jason Krejza being the 5th bowler (he spent all season at 7 - they were trying to give him the chance to become an all-rounder)
unbelievably, in the match featuring McGrath, Lee, MacGill, Clark and Bracken NSW didn't see fit to bowl Greg Mail. There's no way Lehmann would have made 150 had the Mailman been delivering

TheJediBrah

unbelievably, in the match featuring McGrath, Lee, MacGill, Clark and Bracken NSW didn't see fit to bowl Greg Mail. There's no way Lehmann would have made 150 had the Mailman been delivering
Boof clearly just sat on the quicks and destroyed MacGill from the other end. Easily would have made more than half his runs of MacGill

FBU

International Debutant
Durham

Wood
Onions
Rushworth
Stokes

(Plus Borthwck's part time leg-spin and Collingwood's medium-right).

Usually Woody was knackered or Rushy or Bunny was rested for someone like Callum Thorpe but this attack did actually play together,

Durham v Warwickshire, July 2013, Durham won by 11 runs

Durham's earlier attack was good also,

S. Harmison
Onions
Killeen
M. Davies/Liam Plunkett
Lancs had a good attack on paper for this game
https://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Lancashire/Scorecards/82/82233.html

Athlai

Not Terrible
1. Brownlie
2. Flynn
3. Williamson
4. Watling
5. de Grandhomme
6. Santner
7. Kuggelijn
8. Sodhi
9. Wagner
10. Southee
11. Boult

12. Anderson

Taylor and Latham short of our Test team in strength. Pretty nuts.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1. Brownlie
2. Flynn
3. Williamson
4. Watling
5. de Grandhomme
6. Santner
7. Kuggelijn
8. Sodhi
9. Wagner
10. Southee
11. Boult

12. Anderson

Haha they'd be so much better off not picking seven bowlers though. At the very least Kuggs has to go for a batsman, and I'd think about leaving Sodhi out too.

Most of those guys will be unavailable most of the time though, so it's probably not something they're super concerned about. Still makes it weird that they'd go and sign a couple of players who will only be available when they're already going to be really strong though -- would've made more sense to try and fill out the roster will players who could play when the Test and ODI guys weren't there.

cnerd123

likes this
Meanwhile I'm watching that episode of Ugly Delicious where David Chang eats donkey tendons and sea cucumber in Beijing

#CultutedPalates

Burgey

Meanwhile I'm watching that episode of Ugly Delicious where David Chang eats donkey tendons and sea cucumber in Beijing

#CultutedPalates
Reckon you’re fond of munching on the odd cucumber tbh.

cnerd123

likes this
Just had a second helping

According to the table of food experts on Ugly Delicious, Chinese food is probably the most sophisticated cuisine on the planet. Much like spin bowling, is oft derided by those who lack the capacity to appreciate it.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha they'd be so much better off not picking seven bowlers though. At the very least Kuggs has to go for a batsman, and I'd think about leaving Sodhi out too.

Most of those guys will be unavailable most of the time though, so it's probably not something they're super concerned about. Still makes it weird that they'd go and sign a couple of players who will only be available when they're already going to be really strong though -- would've made more sense to try and fill out the roster will players who could play when the Test and ODI guys weren't there.
Agree, this team looks like less than the sum of its parts, picking too many bowlers tends to do that.

Besides, Kuggs is an absolute **** of a human being anyway

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

Look I'm never getting anywhere with Cricket NSW if I don't pick 8 bowling options ffs. Leave me alone.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any Jamaican bowling attack from the late 70s.
Not that I can see, unless you think Clement Thompson was brilliant or Richard Austin a good 1st change.

Barbados in 79/80 a good shout: Daniel, Clarke, Marshall, Garner, and Padmore to provide any needed tweak.