• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in India 2017

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Dhananjaya has to be the unluckiest bat,averaged 55 odd in 2016.One bad series to SA, misses out on one of BAN test matches.And then since has played only one and that too in SSC Vs India.

Captains SL A to WI,scores a 100 and more runs there,wins unofficial test series 2-1.

Drops Mendis, Dhananjaya gets picked to tour India,not a game yet

Horrible selections tbh.

Mendis, Dhananjaya are a must.Seectors are a joke
It's this idea that Thirimanne is somehow the new Sanga. Since they invested so much time in this guy it's almost like the selectors want to prove themselves right eventually. Fact is he's playing the wrong format. He's a much better batsman in ODI's. But he's hopeless in Tests. Maybe one day he can translate that form into Test runs but I dunno, him being picked over Mendis and DDS is just utterly ridiculous to me.

I don't know how they can **** up something that is so obvious.

My only remaining hope is that Hathu gets rid of these sorts of ******** decision making.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Absolutely agree, that's the problem we have( which Mahela is trying to change) that our FC standard is pathetic and people can score bucket loads there but when it comes to proper cricket,they are nowhere near the level they need to be..
What's the latest on Mahela and FC cricket? Last I heard he worked with Sidath and then Sumathipala came in and scrapped all their plans. And Sumathipala is going to implement his centres of excellence vision over the next 5 years.

Is Mahela actively a part of the SLC ?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I want Kuldeep to be our main spinner in SA. Ashwin will likely be useless so no point using him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I want Kuldeep to be our main spinner in SA. Ashwin will likely be useless so no point using him.
I want to see how Ashwin adapts this time around; it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to in the series, so I hope he doesn't get dropped before the tour even begins.

If I was an Indian selector I think I'd agree with you though.

Daemon

I want to see how Ashwin adapts this time around; it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to in the series, so I hope he doesn't get dropped before the tour even begins.

If I was an Indian selector I think I'd agree with you though.
Haha can't really fathom how in a series with SA's fast bowling lineup and India's best ever fast bowling trio you're looking forward to watching Ashwin.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I would not count Ashwin out.... while we are not talking Nagpur conditions, SA decks have got a little slower and lower, and we have had a very dry winter. Note what happened to Bangladesh, were the first game, in particular, was very slow dry pitch and they played all the wrong cards expecting something that never was.

Playing at major venues for Indian series so expect the pitches to have something in them, but we are not talking green mambas here. SA have the better seam bowling attack and they would be stupid to create bowling conditions that made every bowler look like Garner.

Ashwin is good enough to bring variation and balance to Indian team.

Daemon

This has really been quite impressive from Ishant on a track that doesn't have much for him.

vcs

They've just given up and decided to have a bit of fun by the looks of it.

Can't really blame them TBF

Daemon

They've just given up and decided to have a bit of fun by the looks of it.

Can't really blame them TBF
It's a bit bizarre to me because it's not like Shanaka's nailed his spot down in the side. As a Lankan batsmen at this point I'd just be playing for myself.

Maybe he was doing a bit of T20 auditioning.

Daemon

I would not count Ashwin out.... while we are not talking Nagpur conditions, SA decks have got a little slower and lower, and we have had a very dry winter. Note what happened to Bangladesh, were the first game, in particular, was very slow dry pitch and they played all the wrong cards expecting something that never was.

Playing at major venues for Indian series so expect the pitches to have something in them, but we are not talking green mambas here. SA have the better seam bowling attack and they would be stupid to create bowling conditions that made every bowler look like Garner.

Ashwin is good enough to bring variation and balance to Indian team.
My issue with Ashwin overseas is not being able to tie batsmen down. This isn't to say that he's a wayward spinner, but he often goes unpunished when he errs slightly by going too straight or overpitching because batsmen are afraid of him. I just don't think he has the ability to keep a batsmen on strike for extended periods of time when he isn't able to produce the sort of deliveries that create doubt in batsmens minds.

Basically I just feel he's much, much more easier to deal with when batsmen can be confident of not getting one that spins square or bounces head height, more so than other spinners like Maharaj/Lyon.

vcs

Well done Ashwin. Quite a luxury having both him and Jaddu to call upon at home.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
My issue with Ashwin overseas is not being able to tie batsmen down. This isn't to say that he's a wayward spinner, but he often goes unpunished when he errs slightly by going too straight or overpitching because batsmen are afraid of him. I just don't think he has the ability to keep a batsmen on strike for extended periods of time when he isn't able to produce the sort of deliveries that create doubt in batsmens minds.

Basically I just feel he's much, much more easier to deal with when batsmen can be confident of not getting one that spins square or bounces head height, more so than other spinners like Maharaj/Lyon.
Thats about his flight and guile more than anything.... and he is better than most. I would play him over Jadeja any day. And as I was just trying to point out, maybe he wont get much assistance first innings but he could become a handful with the 2nd innings. The pitches in SA do break up and dry out over time and give something to the spinners.

As for giving runs away, I dont think he will do any worse than any other spin bowler coming to SA. I hope they don't drop him because I think Ashwin is class.