• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

King of the Asian Keeper-Bats

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I liked Engineer at the time playing for India and Lancashire, but he does make up some utter bilge. When he was summarising on TMS during one tour he regaled everyone with the story of how he got Colin Cowdrey out for his only Test wicket. Then Bill Frindall looked it up and found it didn't happen.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbf i think i could sit and listen to him blatantly lie about stuff for hours

My Grandma was a bit like that. Talked a heap of made up rubbish but it was thoroughly entertaining.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
2nd only to Gilchrist on dismissals per innings. Able to win Test matches coming in at 39/6.

Alone on the summit of Asian keepers.
Yes, I was very surprised entering this thread and seeing his name mocked but he has more dis/inn than just about any other so called great keeper bat and with enough centuries and fifties to make him worthy as a lower order batsman. If I'm not mistaken, he also has one of the best 150s of all time, struck the ball beautifully that day.

On top of all that, he kept well on just about every wicket going, so why is there so much dislike for him?

I'd pick him over Bari, Moin, Rashid and just about every other Pakistani keeper/bat.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Lol wtf I'm pretty sure that post you quoted wasn't serious.
If you are talking to me, I do not see nay reason why you are laughing. Only a handful of great keepers have a better than 2 dismissals per innings ratio. In terms of Asian keepers with completed test careers, there are none so far as I know.

Add to that a number of important innings, across formats, and there is no reason to ridicule. I can understand cricketing arguments being made for maybe Bari being a better keeper and Dhoni a better batsman but Kamrans name can very well be mentioned in there. In terms of including non Asian keepers, he would drop down the list, but then again so would Bari or Dhoni one presumes when Boucher and Gilchrist are added in.

Bijed

International Regular
Though Akmals good dismissals/innings ratio is somewhat down to the fact that no-one else on the team could really catch either, so it's not like he had competition.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sometimes the truth is really, really simple.

Kamran is ****e.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You can’t judge a keeper based on dismissals as he’s reliant on bowlers creating chances. Akmal was very mediocre in general. Decent batsman though.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you are talking to me, I do not see nay reason why you are laughing. Only a handful of great keepers have a better than 2 dismissals per innings ratio. In terms of Asian keepers with completed test careers, there are none so far as I know.

Add to that a number of important innings, across formats, and there is no reason to ridicule. I can understand cricketing arguments being made for maybe Bari being a better keeper and Dhoni a better batsman but Kamrans name can very well be mentioned in there. In terms of including non Asian keepers, he would drop down the list, but then again so would Bari or Dhoni one presumes when Boucher and Gilchrist are added in.
Last time I saw Kamran keep he dropped five catches in an innings, lost the test for his country and was accused of match fixing by everyone because nobody thought anyone could possibly be that bad at keeping

He had to come out and say 'no im not a cheat I love my country I just really stink at keeping unfortunately'

So yeah

Last edited:

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Last time I saw Kamran keep he dropped five catches in an innings, lost the test for his country and was accused of match fixing by everyone because nobody thought anyone could possibly be that bad at keeping

He had to come out and say 'no im not a cheat I love my country I just really stink at keeping unfortunately'

So yeah
What has that got to do with his overall career performances?

Someone like Dhoni, India's most iconic cricketer since Tendulkar, ended his career on a 5 match losing streak. Lara, arguably a top 5 all time West Indian ended his career with egg on his face and dismemberment in a home world cup.

How a player ends his career doesnt define his entire career.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
You can’t judge a keeper based on dismissals as he’s reliant on bowlers creating chances. Akmal was very mediocre in general. Decent batsman though.
Oh yes, so I guess we discount all of Gilchrist's wickets because he was keeping to one of the best bowling line ups ever. Might as well forget Boucher ever existed and discount every time Bari took a wicket off Nawaz or Imran.