• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is a better cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar or M.S. Dhoni?

sethib

Cricket Spectator
Hey Guys,

Check out this new blog in which I have compared the performance of MS Dhoni and Sachin Tendulkar. Would love to hear comments from everyone especially from all Sachin fans 8-)

Having said that, I have deep admiration for both the cricketers. So let us start a healthy debate and have some fun with the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

loterry

Cricket Spectator
Both good players but have to go with Sachin always scored a lot of runs in all formats, Dhoni is good as well without his leadership India wouldn’t of achieved as much as they did especially in the shorter formats, his the type of player you want in your team due to his leadership and calmness, his helped Kohli a lot ever since he bacame captain and will keep helping India till the World Cup

So both good players in different aspects

srbhkshk

International Captain
Apples and Oranges, Sachin kept Indian team competitive at a time when the rest of the team was at minnow level. Dhoni got India a world cup. That said, Dhoni also got India a 0-8 in Eng/Aus, so Sachin for me.

(I know I am grossly oversimplifying, but going into the details is pointless, you can give neat arguments for whoever you wish.)

digiosmosis

Cricket Spectator
We found the replacement of Sachin as batsman in Virat but Dhoni can't be replaced. Though Virat is a captain but he is playing with the team which Dhoni created.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A number of discussions on CW in recent times concerning relative merits of players place a large emphasis on shorter formats compared to similar discussions from a few years ago. I don’t imagine this would even be a close comparison if it was asked a few years back when the consensus was more towards performance in tests being weighted a lot higher than other formats.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
A number of discussions on CW in recent times concerning relative merits of players place a large emphasis on shorter formats compared to similar discussions from a few years ago. I don’t imagine this would even be a close comparison if it was asked a few years back when the consensus was more towards performance in tests being weighted a lot higher than other formats.
I blame the new posters obviously

Zinzan

New Generation old chap.

cnerd123

likes this
it corresponds with teams taking limited overs cricket a lot more seriously than they used to. The World Cup has grown in stature with each year, and stuff like the Champions Trophy and World T20 really seem to get the players and fans going as well. It didn't use to be like this. Teams and players would save their best for Tests. But now these global limited overs tournaments are just as prestigious, if not more. So it makes sense they get weighed a lot higher, and is why a guy like MSD gets rated so highly while someone like Amla has question marks over his limited overs record just for going missing in big tournaments (whilst being incredible in JAM ODIs)

Also you're just really really old.

vcs

it corresponds with teams taking limited overs cricket a lot more seriously than they used to. The World Cup has grown in stature with each year, and stuff like the Champions Trophy and World T20 really seem to get the players and fans going as well. It didn't use to be like this. Teams and players would save their best for Tests. But now these global limited overs tournaments are just as prestigious, if not more. So it makes sense they get weighed a lot higher, and is why a guy like MSD gets rated so highly while someone like Amla has question marks over his limited overs record just for going missing in big tournaments (whilst being incredible in JAM ODIs)

I would argue ODIs had their peak in terms of popularity in the '90s and '00s and are actually declining now, in terms of perceived importance, after T20's advent. I would assume he is referring to CW debates in the previous decade as compared to now.

Unless, you just wanted to call Burgey old, in which case I agree

Daemon

Nah, ODI popularity peaked ages ago and is arguably dropping now, only being propped up by the likes of Kohli and AB.

This is just a result of a greater number of people having access to the internet. Previously, only (mostly) intelligent people who enjoyed Test cricket would go through the effort to connect through their dial up connections and wait 2 hours to post their analysis on the cricket during the lunch break. These days the average dumb **** who prefers the inferior versions of the game can log on, post his drivel in 10 different threads and **** off in about the same amount of time it takes Jadeja to get through an over.