• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Team of 1970 to 1990 Vs Best Team of 1990 to 2010

Slifer

International Captain
The point is, wi usually went with 6 batsmen + wk + 4 bowlers. When i think of the best oz team this team comes to mind

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
S Waugh
M waugh
Martyn
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
Mcgrath.

Not an AR in sight. Before you sll say they didn't need one thanks to Gilchrist that's kinda true but even before gilly came along healey came in at 7 with still with no ar in sight. Pick the best 6 batsmen available, 4 best bowlers and a competent wk.

subshakerz

International Coach
The point is, wi usually went with 6 batsmen + wk + 4 bowlers. When i think of the best oz team this team comes to mind

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
S Waugh
M waugh
Martyn
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
Mcgrath.

Not an AR in sight. Before you sll say they didn't need one thanks to Gilchrist that's kinda true but even before gilly came along healey came in at 7 with still with no ar in sight. Pick the best 6 batsmen available, 4 best bowlers and a competent wk.
Well, the great Aus side of the 2000s and WI of the 80s were so far ahead of their peers that I can imagine 4 bowlers of world class quality is more than enough.

In this case, the 70s/80s side and the 90s/2000s side are of comparable quality. Limiting the 80s/90s side to 3 pacers and a spinner would almost certainly give an advantage to 90s/2000s who have more bowling options with Kallis and a longer batting lineup with Gilchrist at 7.

The only way to offset this advantage I see would be give Imran no 6 and a stronger bowling attack.

Or perhaps do away with a spinner altogether as there is nobody on Warne/Murali level and player your four best bowlers. So the side would look like:

Gavaskar
Barry Richards / Greenidge
Viv
Graeme Pollock
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Imran Khan
Knott
Hadlee
Marshall
Lillee

The above would almost certainly win on a pace-friendly pitch and lose on a spin-friendly pitch.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Seriously? Imran 6, Hadlee 7 is a ridiculously weak middle order and assuming 8-11 are all worse batsmen that makes the batting line-up far too short.
Imran averaged 37 in an era where pitches weren't as batsman friendly & bats were less powerful. In fact, in his last 10 years he played 51 tests and averaged 50. Knott averaged 32 and had 5 test centuries so would probable bat 7 with Hadlee at 8. Alternatively, if you go with Dujon he also averaged 32 with 5 centuries so would probably come in at 7.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
S Waugh
M waugh
Martyn
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
Mcgrath.

Fair enough. And Harper was probably only necessary when one of the four quicks was a non ATG like a Baptiste, Benjamin or Patterson

When they always had some combination of 4 ATG quicks during Llyods reign then yeah no need for anything more than a part timer to be the fifth bowler I agree

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
David Gower belongs in the argument for a 70s-90s side. Not a lock for a spot but worthy of consideration. And ***eh too.
I see your Gower and raise you a Crowe if we're talking honourable mentions.

As I've repeated on here like a mantra over the years,... In the decade between 1985-1995, Crowe was basically the best bat in the world.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Graham gooch. Played against all the best in conditions where fast bowling was hardest to face apparently. Missed out on a few years in his peak to. If we are including 1990 then that was the year of his 333. Also did his average start to drop a bit from 1991??

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
David Gower belongs in the argument for a 70s-90s side. Not a lock for a spot but worthy of consideration. And ***eh too.
****ing hell, nothing worse than an Aussie throwing you a bone..........especially in an Ashes year!!

I love DG, but not even I could find a place for him in this discussion.........even if he was so ***y I'd turn.

Days of Grace

International Captain

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
S Waugh
M waugh
Martyn
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
Mcgrath.

There were no allrounders worthy of a place in the Australian side during that era. If they had an allrounder the caliber of Cairns or Flintoff they would have got a look in.

I also think in ATG discussion that Lara is exposed at no.3. He would be better at no.5 behind Dravid/Ponting & Tendulkar.

And I haven’t done much research into it, but i’m willing to bet that Imran’s high average in his late career came on some flat tracks or against some poor bowling attacks.

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
S Waugh
M waugh
Martyn
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
Mcgrath.

S.Waugh captured 92 wkts - no mean feat. And his twin pipped in with 59 wkts

Imagine if one of the 4 bowlers got injured or it's a hot day or it's a batting track etc, then you would need to look amongst your troops for some relief.

Besides, when you're picking World XI's to go against each other ( rather than 1 Test team beating down another by a huge margin ), the winner will probably be one who has greater bowling options or an extended batting tail for victory by a smaller margin.

Slifer

International Captain
There were no allrounders worthy of a place in the Australian side during that era. If they had an allrounder the caliber of Cairns or Flintoff they would have got a look in.

I also think in ATG discussion that Lara is exposed at no.3. He would be better at no.5 behind Dravid/Ponting & Tendulkar.

And I haven’t done much research into it, but i’m willing to bet that Imran’s high average in his late career came on some flat tracks or against some poor bowling attacks.
If either of flintoff or cairns or even Pollock were Australian, the likelihood is they'd have been picked to replace Lee to strengthen their bowling. Actually only Pollock could really be picked ahead of Lee on bowling alone. The other two cairns and flintoff hace no chance.

Slifer

International Captain
S.Waugh captured 92 wkts - no mean feat. And his twin pipped in with 59 wkts

Imagine if one of the 4 bowlers got injured or it's a hot day or it's a batting track etc, then you would need to look amongst your troops for some relief.

Besides, when you're picking World XI's to go against each other ( rather than 1 Test team beating down another by a huge margin ), the winner will probably be one who has greater bowling options or an extended batting tail for victory by a smaller margin.
That's where the part timers come in. What if one of the batsmen got injured during the match. Then u have a potentially even longer tail. Fact is, none of the truly atg teams needed AR nor 5 front line bowlers. Imo the only time to use a AR is assuming that player can make it into said team on their stronger trait. Imran and Hadlee certainly can. U pick a fifth bowler to bat at 6 or 7 if u have a Don or Gilchrist to shore up the batting.

smash84

The Tiger King
There is no way I'd want Imran to be batting 6 in any such sides. I also can't leave him out of the 70s/80s side. He was arguably the player of those 2 decades.

Greenidge
Gavaskar
Viv Richards
Javed Miandad
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Imran Khan *
Alan Knott
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Dennis Lillee

Border and Viv can turn their arms over when needed otherwise this side is good enough to take 20 wickets on any surface without the need for a spinner. The bowling is lethal and varied. You have scorching pace, metronomic line and length, reverse swing option to hoop it around corners, and a wily craftsman who can out think the best of batsmen. The batting is also superb with a solid opening pair along with arguably the finest number 3 the game has seen. In Miandad you have one of the greatest players of spin of all time and the top order is then rounded off by G Chappell and Allan Border who was outstanding in batting with the tail. The side also bats all the way down to no 10

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There is no way I'd want Imran to be batting 6 in any such sides. I also can't leave him out of the 70s/80s side. He was arguably the player of those 2 decades.

Greenidge
Gavaskar
Viv Richards
Javed Miandad
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Imran Khan *
Alan Knott
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Dennis Lillee

Border and Viv can turn their arms over when needed otherwise this side is good enough to take 20 wickets on any surface without the need for a spinner. The bowling is lethal and varied. You have scorching pace, metronomic line and length, reverse swing option to hoop it around corners, and a wily craftsman who can out think the best of batsmen. The batting is also superb with a solid opening pair along with arguably the finest number 3 the game has seen. In Miandad you have one of the greatest players of spin of all time and the top order is then rounded off by G Chappell and Allan Border who was outstanding in batting with the tail. The side also bats all the way down to no 10
That's a monstrous pace attack. **** playing that.

Slifer

International Captain

Greenidge
Gavaskar
Viv Richards
Javed Miandad
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Imran Khan *
Alan Knott
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Dennis Lillee

Outstanding team and very similar to mine, except I fell for the old adage of having a spinner (underwood). If your 4 best bowlers are pacers then play em and thankfully the ones you picked were outstanding in all conditions. Could see them slicing through the 90s/10s lineup rather easily.

Gob

International Coach
Old guys

Gavaskar
Greenidge
Richards V *
Chappel G
Border
Botham
Imran
Hadlee
Knott
Marshall
Lillee

AB to roll his arm over with Viv

Less old guys

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting *
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis (later career version please)
Gilchrist
Warne
Donald
Ambrose
McGrath

Awful tail. No idea who'd win

subshakerz

International Coach

Greenidge
Gavaskar
Viv Richards
Javed Miandad
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Imran Khan *
Alan Knott
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Dennis Lillee

Yes, this is similar to the side I was advocating. Pick your four best bowlers. This side can beat the 90s/2000s.