• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do almost all Michael Atherton dismissals look jumpy?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I've seen far lesser batsmen look far more dignified while getting out, but Athers made average balls look like molotov ****tails. Exaggerated movements or was he just plain unlucky to have been at the receiving end of Messrs. Ambrose, Akram, Donald & Mcgrath?

Last edited:

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
He leans too much at times and his right elbow is excessively orthodox,when he's cramped for room or fails to pick an inswinger on the offstump he gets squared up.leading to either LBW or bowled on offstump or catch to keeper.Thats how mcgrath and ambrose made him their bunny.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, myth. Several tons against Ambrose, Wasim/Waqar and Donald. Bloke could open. Australia was his kryptonite though

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Remember when Richard insisted he was better than Hayden? Simpler times.

Starfighter

While having a disease slowly freezing his spine in position might be a contributing factor, I'm inclined to go with Gnske on this one.

Top_Cat

Was rightly regarded as one of the better opening bats in the 90s, certainly his name came up in interviews of opponents often enough. Record doesn't reflect his worth as a cricketer to England but, I guess, not by much. Wasn't going to destroy you like Hayden but unless you were McGrath or Ambrose i.e. a genius, you were in for some hard work to get him out, even without his back troubles which almost certainly compromised his record.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There was someone who used to be a regular Cricketweb poster who worked out that if you take out the Tests when he was picked too early and remove the fact that he played for too long and take out the Tests when he played with his back injury when he shouldn't have his average is 45 - then if he had never had the back injury he would have averaged 60 in his prime.

mr_mister

Haha. That's an extreme case of cherry picking but I'd like to see his average if you take away his Aus record. His final three ashes performances were total disasters. Atherton c Healy b McGrath 0 is still ingrained in my childhood memories it happened so often

Daemon

Mentions Atherton as one of the most resilient and toughest he ever bowled to.

Victor Ian

International Coach
As a bowler, I imagine what makes a batsmen stick in your head as being tough to get out is, well, being tough to get out. Atherton lasted more balls per wicket than Cook did, so Atherton was very tough to get out. He just didn't score as quick before he got out to have his average be higher.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Athers made only 6 ducks against Australia and none involved Taylor. It sounds like someone must have had one hell of a childhood.