• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Duke, Reader and Kookaburra Balls

Bouncer

State Regular
I remember when Pak toured Eng in 1996 this was a big factor people in Pak were worried about (Not to forget people's worry about Ken and Roy Pammer umpiring in one of the est matches. :D )., that wht kindaa ball will be chosen for test matches, luckily Pak won the toss for ball in evey match. Now its my Bad memory that i dont really remember the differnce between both kindaa balls except that Duke are kindaa smaller in size that Koukabura ....
Can anybody tell me more about the differences in these balls?

anzac

International Debutant
I heard something about the sub-continent cricket balls being slightly smaller, darker, harder, with a slightly more prominent seam & keeps condition longer.....(no innuendos please!!!!)

but then again that could be just local PR................ :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The difference is in the stitching only, but of course this gives an impression of the balls being a different size (I suppose in that case they are).

The Duke doesn't take a bottleto.... (walks away whistling)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Seems a bit extreme to change to the Duke ball just to win the ashes. They have never needed to resort to that before and they have done well traditionally.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
'We won't exist': Kookaburra bemoans cricket ball change proposal

Interesting response from Kookaburra to the proposal by CA. Kooka do sponsor quite a few grassroots organisations, but having watched them hunt out Platypus (whose balls are arse, ftr) of the Melbourne scene, makes it hard to feel much sympathy.
After having to use Gabba balls due to their sponsorship of our league, Platypus seemed like a godsend when we could use them in rep cricket. Says a lot about how bad the Gabba balls were.

uvelocity

International Coach
I was thinking of mentioning them. kookas are going awesome this year, but lots of higher scores as they stay hard longer than 3.2 overs

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, yeah the Gabbas went soft pretty quickly. Seam flattened out and they often went out of shape too. Good if you managed to get the ball in the first 10 overs to have a bowl, bad otherwise.

At least with the Kookaburra if you hit the seam it'll do something, whether it's the 4th over or the 40th. When we started using the Gabba balls there were quite a few occasions where teams were 5 or 6 for **** all and went on to get 250+ when the ball stopped swinging/seaming/staying in one piece. So much variation between balls too. Occasionally you'd get one that was ok, but they were mostly ****.