• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka losing face

Scallywag

Banned
Chris Broad: cleared of allegations that, it now turns out, were never even made© AFP

Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) have denied reporting match referee Chris Broad to the ICC for "boozing" with Australia's players during the recent series. Mohan de Silva, the president of SLC, claims that he was misquoted by a reporter from the state-run Sunday Observer newspaper.

In an open letter to the journalist, de Silva said: "I have noted that you by error have made a reference to me with regards to the claim that match referee Chris Broad was found boozing with the Australian players. I wish to state that at no time did I confirm this story and neither has Sri Lanka Cricket reported any incident involving Mr. Broad and Australian players to the ICC. As such it is clear that I have been misquoted in the said story."

When this story first surfaced Sri Lanka did nothing to stop Broad from being slandered, now one week later after being asked to provide details they say they have been misquoted. Broad should have every right to seek redress from the Sri Lankan board. Nothing but and open full public apology to Broad from the Sri Lankan board followed by a request to remove thier own request to stop Broad for refereeing any SL series. Sri Lanka need to get this right now especially now they have also been identified as supplying the leaks about Muralis report. Shame shame shame on you Sri Lanka.

anzac

International Debutant
so now we know where the conspiracy theory really lays................& it's NOT v Murali.............. :laugh:

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's all a racist plot hatched by the white-supremicist ICC to stop the brown Murali from beating The Pure Warne to the Test wickets record currently held by.......umm........the black Walsh, who.........err............well..........took the record from the..........the..........brown Kapil...................what was I saying again?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
DJ Bumfluff said:
It's all a racist plot hatched by the white-supremicist ICC to stop the brown Murali from beating The Pure Warne to the Test wickets record currently held by.......umm........the black Walsh, who.........err............well..........took the record from the..........the..........brown Kapil...................what was I saying again?
You are really Arjuna Ranatunga and I claim my five pounds :thumbs_up

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Have your forefathers not taken enough from me and my people already??? I see you are still stuck in your imperialist, neo-nazi, krypto-fascist, post-modern colonial ways, you English war-monger you.

Andre

International Regular
DJ Bumfluff said:
Have your forefathers not taken enough from me and my people already??? I see you are still stuck in your imperialist, neo-nazi, krypto-fascist, post-modern colonial ways, you English war-monger you.
I'm hoping you're joking but I'm fearing you're not.

No place for comments like these here thank you very much.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Scallywag said:
When this story first surfaced Sri Lanka did nothing to stop Broad from being slandered, now one week later after being asked to provide details they say they have been misquoted. Broad should have every right to seek redress from the Sri Lankan board. Nothing but and open full public apology to Broad from the Sri Lankan board followed by a request to remove thier own request to stop Broad for refereeing any SL series. Sri Lanka need to get this right now especially now they have also been identified as supplying the leaks about Muralis report. Shame shame shame on you Sri Lanka.
The Sri Lankan Cricket Board is almost as culpable as the ICC in regards to this entire fiasco. They have been habitually disingenuous, deliberately provocative and have perpetually (with a great degree of success) sought to make this affair one of the subcontinent vs the rest of the world.

The fact that they don't have a venue, date, or any corroborative evidence for this allegation regarding Broad is obviously a further slight on their character, but even more so, I think maybe a site like cricinfo (or whichever news agency they use as a source) could be a little more careful and check more conclusively what they print. Because, even though this smear has since been cleared up, it's already done it's job in the heads of many people following the issue.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Andre said:
I'm hoping you're joking but I'm fearing you're not.

No place for comments like these here thank you very much.
You're welcome.

Yes, I'm really complaining about luckyeddie being a post-modernist. Considering the context of my first post on this thread, how can you not tell that I'm joking? I'm from Cape Town anyway.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
DJ Bumfluff said:
You're welcome.

Yes, I'm really complaining about luckyeddie being a post-modernist. Considering the context of my first post on this thread, how can you not tell that I'm joking? I'm from Cape Town anyway.
You've been hopefully smoking the springbok droppings again, I fear.

Your first post in this thread looked to me to be a light-hearted bit of banter of the type I highly approve of, lampooning the Sri Lankan position (or it would be if they have the gumption to admit it).

I posted a 'thumbs up' emoticon which in anyone's language is an indication of approval. I also posted the message 'You are really Arjuna Ranatunga and I claim my five pounds'. That's based upon an old newspaper thing in the UK, and once again it's agreeing with the aptness of your comment.

Andre picked you up on your 'rant' comment because of other comments of an almost identical nature aimed in my direction in the last 10 days.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
I guessed that you got it. I was just responding to Andre, who didn't. Glad to see this board isn't completely humourless. ;)

Your five pounds is in the post. It is the equivalent of about 17,865 SA Rands. I've had to re-mortgage my house to cover it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
DJ Bumfluff said:
I guessed that you got it. I was just responding to Andre, who didn't. Glad to see this board isn't completely humourless. ;)

Your five pounds is in the post. It is the equivalent of about 17,865 SA Rands. I've had to re-mortgage my house to cover it.
In fairness, Andre is aware of some things that others on here are not party to. It's not your fault you were not to know that.

Thanks for the fiver. I have decided to re-invest it in South Africa, which should keep Thabo Mbeki's government going for another 5 years.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nice to see Murali is STILL bowling the doosra. In fact, he's just claimed a wicket with it. If he's hoping to win sympathisers by blatantly cheating like this, it's obviously more than just his arm that's deformed.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
DJ Bumfluff said:
Nice to see Murali is STILL bowling the doosra. In fact, he's just claimed a wicket with it. If he's hoping to win sympathisers by blatantly cheating like this, it's obviously more than just his arm that's deformed.
He is being exceedingly silly if that is the case.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Can ANYBODY confirm the story I'm reading at other sites, that says that according to the official report, Murali's degree of straightening was originally 14 DEGREES, and that, after warnings and "remedial work" with Elliot and co at the UWA, he managed to reduce this straightening to 10.5 degrees?

This is especially alarming if it's true (and it may not be), given that Elliot is proposing a legal limit of 12.5 degrees for slow bowlers.

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
The Sri Lankan Cricket Board has been accused on many occasions of disreputable behaviour, but believe me this is the reality with all the cricketing authorities in the world. The ICC, their panel of referees and umpires are by no means angels, they are simply the body put in charge of overseeing the game. Why is it such an outrage for a member of the ICC to be openly criticised of wrong doing? I am not condoning the behaviour of the Sri Lankan Cricket Board but there must be some truth in the allegations. Unless they have something personal against Chris Broad, it would not be in anybody's interest to make such a claim.

Why should ICC officials be able to get away with disgraceful behaviour, when players are severely reprimanded for merely breaking the 'sacred' rules of the game. Big deal if Murali bends his arm 10 degrees when he bowls the doosra, I still respect his achievements and believe he is a great innovator. The ICC puts in rules to restrict players when they are doing well but will readily cover up one of their guys when they are accused of unacceptable behaviour. Regardless of the evidence against Broad, the ICC should analyse the claim more objectively and take it seriously as opposed to merely dismissing it. For those of you who have an issue with the Sri Lankan Cricket Board, this very type of behaviour is stemming from the cover up culture of 'respectable' organisations like the ICC.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm sorry, but the 'no smoke without fire' argument regarding Chris Broad isn't a valid one under the circumstances because even from the word go there was never any "I saw it" - it was always "someone told me they had heard that he had been seen boozing".

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
LankanPrince said:
The Sri Lankan Cricket Board has been accused on many occasions of disreputable behaviour, but believe me this is the reality with all the cricketing authorities in the world. The ICC, their panel of referees and umpires are by no means angels, they are simply the body put in charge of overseeing the game. Why is it such an outrage for a member of the ICC to be openly criticised of wrong doing? I am not condoning the behaviour of the Sri Lankan Cricket Board but there must be some truth in the allegations. Unless they have something personal against Chris Broad, it would not be in anybody's interest to make such a claim.
There must be some truth to the allegations? Then why did the Lankan Board deny even making them to begin with?

LankanPrince said:
Why should ICC officials be able to get away with disgraceful behaviour, when players are severely reprimanded for merely breaking the 'sacred' rules of the game. Big deal if Murali bends his arm 10 degrees when he bowls the doosra, I still respect his achievements and believe he is a great innovator. The ICC puts in rules to restrict players when they are doing well but will readily cover up one of their guys when they are accused of unacceptable behaviour. Regardless of the evidence against Broad, the ICC should analyse the claim more objectively and take it seriously as opposed to merely dismissing it. For those of you who have an issue with the Sri Lankan Cricket Board, this very type of behaviour is stemming from the cover up culture of 'respectable' organisations like the ICC.
"Big deal if Murali bends his arm by 10 degrees"? I'm sorry, but it IS actually a big deal. It's illegal to do so, plain and simple, so why should he be allowed to continue doing it when others aren't?

"The ICC puts in rules to restrict players when they are doing well." And the basis for this statement is.........??? In order to allow Shoaib to continue playing they introduced the flexing thresholds that are currently in use today, besides clearing Murali on numerous occasions while vilifying the officials who called him to begin with. How have they put rules in place to restrict successful players? Sorry, but that just does not wash with me. It just sounds like more of the completely baseless "let's stop Murali from breaking the Test wickets record before Warne does" paranoia. Please explain, what rules have they introduced in order to stop players doing well? When answering, you'd do well to remember that Murali already has over 500 wickets using an action that every player and journalist I have spoken to regards as illegal.

And while I am hardly a supporter of the ICC, what disgraceful behaviour from its officials have they tried to cover up?

With all these baseless allegations you are presenting us with, I'm afraid I must assume you are a Lankan Board member.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's time for the line in the sand, I reckon.

The 'Murali transgresses the current rule, so change the rule' argument doesn't wash with me, advantage or no.

I've pretty well supported Murali from the start, being more than a little pedantic over what constitutes a throw - and by the rules referenced within the laws of the game, he didn't. Now along comes the Doosra - it looks decidedly iffy and it's reported.

The analysis is completed and by the existing rules, it's a chuck. Between 10 and 14% extension - only allowed 5% if you're a twirly.

If the laws of the game are amended to accommodate Murali, where does it end? Logically, only one place, I'm afraid - and that's with the throw being made legal. Hey, but let's not stop there. We want the USA to take up the game, so cut the number of fielders to 9, get rid of one of the batsmen, give the other one a round bat and make him run in a diamond shape while the fielders try to play 'tag' with him.

No, enough IS enough, advantage or no.