• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in India ODIs/T20Is 2017

srbhkshk

International Captain
Sandeep is useless once the ball stops moving around. Shardul is useless at all times. Aniket is the one who should get a chance.

srbhkshk

International Captain
He is suited as an opener, but there's no slot for him there. Personally I'd say he is a good enough player for #4 as well but Kohli doesn't seem to agree.

SeamUp

International Coach
Basically you have Neesham & Anderson thinking they can get back into the ODI mix quickly when available. Anderson's case when back from injury.

Worker, Munro, Nicholls just doesn't seem to inspire a whole lot of confidence.

Phillips & Henry (at least 1 of him, Kuggs, Lockie) was a shoe-in.

TAstle over Sodhi has to be controversial. Sodhi was putting up the numbers and performances for a little while now and thought he was an obvious selection.

India Board XI and A teams seem all about Nair, Iyer, Shaw and Pant. Those are the batsman they backing for the next generation. Be interesting if any travel to SA especially after they were here on A tour. Shaw will probably be in NZL though.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Being challenged on field made selection process 'tricky': Larsen | Cricbuzz.com

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...r-ish-sodhi-in-line-for-longawaited-odi-debut

"Todd's 4-22 in difficult conditions when the ball was slippery is one of the best spells of legspin bowling I've seen in such conditions. I think it was compelling from a selection standpoint. Todd has got that ability to bowl with pace, to bowl into the pitch like the Indian spinners do, which is a big change from how he bowls on our pitches - throwing it up a lot more in the air," Larsen observed about Astle's selection.

"Nine overs, four for 22 against very good opposition with a damp-ish ball that was hard to control. He didn't bowl a bad ball in that spell. The one and only Rahul Dravid said to me he told his team that he'd just witnessed one of the best legspin displays in Indian conditions. That's some accolade."

"Ish has a massive part to play in New Zealand cricket across all three forms of the game. But this has been a tough tour, what he's got to do is improve his consistency - putting more balls in the right spots more often and cut down on half-volleys and short balls. He's also got to improve his other aspects of the game, which is his general conditioning so that we are convinced that he is fit enough to play regular and consistent international cricket. Also his batting a few years ago, he was holding onto the No. 8 spot but that has slipped away. We will have to get more production out of Ish," Larsen said of the legspinner who had first come to India on a similar 'A' tour in 2012-13.

Last edited:

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Most of the 6 players picked themselves but Astle's selection was based on one spell? It's going to be interesting to see how Munro goes in India and against spin. Kane's preference is Santner, he's locked in for the next 10 years I'd think :-) The only problem with Santner is that he just blocks one end by tight bowling. In India spinners need to be bowling aggressive lines and length. They should be the strike bowlers but we have to rely on our fast bowling stock even in India to pick wickets while Santner will bowl tidy spell. Ish Sodhi although expensive would have been a better choice even ahead of Santner as he picks up wickets regularly. Sure he bowls lot more loose balls but bowls way more wicket taking balls.

wahid zaman

Cricket Spectator
Is kuldeep yadav,Axar Patel and yuzevandra chahal are better spinners than R Ashwin and R Jadeja in Limited Over's Format

nzfan

Good stuff, Prithvi Shaw opened the batting and smashed few runs. India truly has good vision for their young players and know how to develop a batter throwing them to deep end. I was disappointed they played him in the first two games against our As and drop for the last two. Good to see him get a chance here. This lad was not even considered for the india under 19s last time around meanwhile we've had 4 under 19 players that played last time and are eligible for the next one in Jan here. What progress has our 4 lads made since? I see they are still playing school/club cricket, not even close to make the first class sides (maybe barring Ravindra, not sure?).

I'd like to see its made mandatory for our domestic sides to play at least one NZ Under 19 in each side. That's the only way develop our younger ones given we don't have much cricket played outside of club cricket on horrendous decks. We have to take a leaf out of India and follow that model.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I'd nip in the bud any 'Jacob Duffy's become my mentor' scenarios and would start getting a NZ Under-23 outfit out in the big wide world urgently I think, if I was a serious NZC CEO. It has been getting pretty jarring in recent months to see our kids looking so devoid of class compared to the Breetzkes and Shaws.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Lots of South African universities away, maybe. Maybe some of those Indian T20 leagues underneath the IPL that are popping up on telly.

I know the CSA Talent Acceleration Programme Invitational XI would fancy their chances -

Last edited:

nzfan

Lots of South African universities away, maybe. Maybe some of those Indian T20 leagues underneath the IPL that are popping up on telly.

I know the CSA Talent Acceleration Programme Invitational XI would fancy their chances -

That truly is a great idea, they have loads of first class and twenty20 tourneys. Surely our local domestic associations can tie up with them.

Flem274*

123/5
too much of a sensible idea rooted in long term thinking for NZC. what, do you actually want the ANZ micdonalds super smash Black Caps to have reasonable red ball cricketers?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Terrible luck for Tastle getting injured. Hope he's ok.

Hey Latham is on 41 (38) coming in at five, something is going to plan (for a change).