• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Diminutive Fast Bowlers Thread

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Since most of the fast bowlers are well and truly tall, 6' 2" and up.

Wanted to see if there are players under 6-foot tall who can clock it on average 140 km/h and more.

We had Fidel Edwards. I can not recall the guys from yesterday maybe some of the older members here can contribute.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Wiki reckons 5'10" for Lindwall, though he still qualifies.
Larwood was about 5'8".
More recently, Steyn and Darren Gough are just under 6 foot.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I believe Neil Wagner and Mohammed Amir aren't particularly tall, but I'll have to consult Thierry Henry

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trueman was 5'10", and Brian Statham about the same. John Snow is listed on Wiki as 5'11", although whether that's true is anyone's guess.

I find it funny that people these days are obsessed with height in fast bowlers (in fairness they always have, but there's more really tall people to choose from these days) Yet two of the best bowlers over this decade, Harris and Steyn, are 181 and 179 cm respectively, with Philander being perhaps a little less than Steyn as well.

Starfighter

Lillee and Akhtar are usually listed as 182 cm, although someone seems to have been going around Wikipedia changing them to a round 183 / 6'0" recently. Thomson was about the same, maybe a hair shorter than Lillee? Not that 180 or more is really diminutive.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How tall is Brett Lee?

Cracker Holdsworth was short AF and was probably the quickest bowler in Australia in the early 90s.

Starfighter

A lot of the early Windies fast bowlers were 'short' (really about average for the time). Manny Martindale was 5' 8 1/2", Learie Constantine about 5'6", George Francis maybe about the same as Martindale and George John 5'10".