Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Diminutive Fast Bowlers Thread

  1. #16
    Cricketer Of The Year SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    On Earth
    Posts
    9,045
    Tino Best

  2. #17
    International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,569
    Mark Wood is 5' 11''.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

  3. #18
    International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    On a wing and a prayer
    Posts
    12,720
    A lot of the early Windies fast bowlers were 'short' (really about average for the time). Manny Martindale was 5' 8 1/2", Learie Constantine about 5'6", George Francis maybe about the same as Martindale and George John 5'10".

  4. #19
    International Coach Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    13,510
    ajit agarkar, the divine...enough said!


  5. #20
    International Coach mr_mister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    13,473
    Any quick from the old days. Larwood the perfect example
    cricket rules brah

  6. #21
    International Captain Himannv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SL
    Posts
    7,192
    Mohammad Sami. I always think of him when it comes to short fast bowlers.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

  7. #22
    International Debutant srbhkshk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    :O
    Posts
    2,245
    Bhuvi, Shami , Yadav , Bumrah are all in the 5' 10'' range and are ally fairly nippy (for now )

  8. #23
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    22,911
    Is height really a pre-requisite for bowling speed?

    I always figured it's only really useful if you're a hit-the-deck kind of bowler. The types with a high arm action and release, who really run through the crease and thud the ball in. If you're the kind of bowler who is generating pace by coiling up your body and then unwinding with really rapid arm speed, looking to bowl full and swing in, then height doesn't really matter does it? If anything, being taller tends to make you more lumbering and less athletic.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

    The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

    iTunes
    SoundCloud

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

  9. #24
    International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    On a wing and a prayer
    Posts
    12,720
    Recently I took the liberty of looking at some biomechanics papers (I love having university access, I'm really going to miss it) on fast bowling, and height is in fact associated with bowling speed, which makes sense as longer arms means more leverage. But other mechanical factors are also associated with bowling speed and at the very highest levels maybe a shorter, better coordinated bowler has a better chance of developing those certain mechanics.
    SeamUp likes this.

  10. #25
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    28,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    Trueman was 5'10", and Brian Statham about the same. John Snow is listed on Wiki as 5'11", although whether that's true is anyone's guess.

    I find it funny that people these days are obsessed with height in fast bowlers (in fairness they always have, but there's more really tall people to choose from these days) Yet two of the best bowlers over this decade, Harris and Steyn, are 181 and 179 cm respectively, with Philander being perhaps a little less than Steyn as well.
    It's all about McGrath. He made people think if you were 6'7 you must have this as a reason for taking wickets, because McGrath wasn't lightning fast and he didn't swing it much. So it must have been height and bounce.

    The thinking behind this isn't bad but it overlooks the fact that McGrath was a freak
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 17-10-2017 at 02:57 AM.
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

  11. #26
    International Coach SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    10,191


    Just if you were not sure ...

    Smudge and straw man like this.
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

    LAMB c KOURIE b RICE

  12. #27
    International Coach SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    10,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    Recently I took the liberty of looking at some biomechanics papers (I love having university access, I'm really going to miss it) on fast bowling, and height is in fact associated with bowling speed, which makes sense as longer arms means more leverage. But other mechanical factors are also associated with bowling speed and at the very highest levels maybe a shorter, better coordinated bowler has a better chance of developing those certain mechanics.
    I think a lot of that natural extra-pace comes from the cocking of the wrist. Some do it better than others to find an extra yard (like a catapult)
    zorax likes this.

  13. #28
    International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    On a wing and a prayer
    Posts
    12,720
    Another one from the Windies. Roy Gilchrist was only 5'8" and, by all accounts, quite the terror.

    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    It's all about McGrath. He made people think if you were 6'7 you must have this as a reason for taking wickets, because McGrath wasn't lightning fast and he didn't swing it much. So it must have been height and bounce.

    The thinking behind this isn't bad but it overlooks the fact that McGrath was a freak
    Walsh and Ambrose too. I think they in particular are also behind the modern preference for bowling chest on. Also height has been considered a good quality for many years but now people seem to specifically seek out tall people rather than going for a shorter but perhaps more talented bowler.

    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    I think a lot of that natural extra-pace comes from the cocking of the wrist. Some do it better than others to find an extra yard (like a catapult)
    Generally I think it's more about use of the body. One factor, according one paper, associated with pace is the angle through which the shoulders move, and perhaps taller bowlers are less able to perform such a movement. Anecdotally I'd say that bowlers these days move their shoulders through a smaller angle. Certainly no-one stretches out like Trueman does here anymore.



    Interestingly one thing I've gleaned is that side-on bowlers run in slower than chest-on bowlers, yet can bowl at the same pace. Again I think this goes back to the use of the body.
    zorax and SeamUp like this.
    The truth, I think, is this: that since the triumph of what was called rationalism, we have successfully cultivated everything except reason - G.K. Chesterton

    A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'you are mad, you are not like us' - St. Anthony

  14. #29
    International Coach mr_mister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    13,473
    I heard from an old bloke I nurse who met Eddie Gilbert that he was 'about my size', which is 5'9

    Pretty short for someone who was apparently one of the quickest ever


    I pretty much asked this dude about every pre war cricketer. Sydney cricket scene was likely small back then because he was apparently on good terms with them all

  15. #30
    International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    On a wing and a prayer
    Posts
    12,720
    Tibby Cotter was 5'8". That's the oldest I can think of for a short bowler who was considered express in their time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 128
    Last Post: 21-11-2011, 02:43 AM
  2. Pakistan's fast bowlers appreciation thread
    By Faisal1985 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 22-08-2010, 09:31 PM
  3. Pakistan's fast bowlers appreciation thread
    By Faisal1985 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-08-2010, 12:19 AM
  4. England fast bowlers pakistan fast bowlers
    By andmark in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 05:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •