• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Hashim Amla an ATG?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
For me part of being an ATG is that you remember them for stunning individual performance rather than statistics - thus Amla's numbers are not too different from Brian Lara's, but the difference is Lara is an ATG in any currency, Amla only in Rand
While I dont disagree with you, he is easily discarded sometimes. Largely, I think, because of his unassuming nature. He scored SA`s first triple century against a pretty decent Eng attack away from home I remember that pretty well... I also remember the 253 at Nagpur... so he has some pretty good individual performances. He has been a rock in a SA team that included Smith, Kallis and ABdV out performing them often...

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While I dont disagree with you, he is easily discarded sometimes. Largely, I think, because of his unassuming nature. He scored SA`s first triple century against a pretty decent Eng attack away from home I remember that pretty well... I also remember the 253 at Nagpur... so he has some pretty good individual performances. He has been a rock in a SA team that included Smith, Kallis and ABdV out performing them often...
His hundred at Kolkata in the very next test was amazing. One of the very best rearguards I've ever seen. Almost took the number 1 ranking away from India singlehandedly.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
definitely an ODI ATG imo (it's not outrageous to say he may even open with Tendulkar in ODI all-time world XI)....

But I agree with others that he needs a solid 3-4 more years pushing his limits to become a test ATG

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The last Indian tour and his struggles since then has taken the gloss of his career, he was easily a SA ATG till then... this is why he needs to step up again for SA over the next few years.

a massive zebra

International Captain
For me part of being an ATG is that you remember them for stunning individual performance rather than statistics - thus Amla's numbers are not too different from Brian Lara's, but the difference is Lara is an ATG in any currency, Amla only in Rand
Can you remember any of Jacques Kallis' stunning individual performances? If not, would you honestly argue he is not an ATG?

OverratedSanity

The last Indian tour and his struggles since then has taken the gloss of his career, he was easily a SA ATG till then... this is why he needs to step up again for SA over the next few years.
I still think he's done quite decently since then though. He wasn't amazing vs England in both the home or away series but still produced a few really key innings. He isn't dominating like he was back in 2010-12 but he's still probably your best batsman. I think that's ultimately what sets the ATGs apart though... Lengthy dominant peaks of 7-8 years where they pound every team in sight. Amla was doing it but it ended a tad earlier than I expected.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I still think he's done quite decently since then though. He wasn't amazing vs England in both the home or away series but still produced a few really key innings. He isn't dominating like he was back in 2010-12 but he's still probably your best batsman. I think that's ultimately what sets the ATGs apart though... Lengthy dominant peaks of 7-8 years where they pound every team in sight. Amla was doing it but it ended a tad earlier than I expected.
He stopped scoring the big 100`s when we needed him most... after losing, Smith, Kallis and ABdV (unexpectedly). He has not done bad by normal standards but as you say not ATG standards. But he still has time to recover and also another shot at a WC in 2 years time.

vcs

Was surprised to check his stats and saw he's been averaging 50 over the last couple of years.. thought it'd be a bit less than that.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
He avg 42 in the last 2 yaers.... importantly, he avg less than 20 in both India and Aus recent tours. This could be considered an aberration but he has to show that now...

vcs

England tour this year was also unsuccessful for him. He was brilliant when England went there in 2015 though.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The thing about Amla is how unobtrusive he is. Remember watching him make a few tons here a few years ago and he'd score quickly, and suddenly he'd be a lot more than you thought he would be.

Bijed

International Regular
My conclusions so far from this thread are that Amla may or may not be an ATG, but his beard definitely is.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I must say that Hazlewood's dominance of him last summer was probably the highlight of the season.

srbhkshk

International Captain
The thing about Amla is how unobtrusive he is. Remember watching him make a few tons here a few years ago and he'd score quickly, and suddenly he'd be a lot more than you thought he would be.
Agree, he scores way quicker than you think he is doing. It's almost as if his innings are a reflection of his career.