• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Query

cricfan

Cricket Spectator
Hi
I have a query regarding a rule of cricket.

Say the batsman hits a no-ball in air and completes 2 runs before the ball is caught by the fielder. So how many runs does he get. Only one run for the no-ball is added to the total. Or 2 runs for the batsman and one for the no-ball are added to the total.

Thanks

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Adamc said:
The batsman gets two runs, plus the no-ball, so three to the total.
They could also continue to run after the ball is caught. Although they can be run out still. I've seen in the past when a no-ball was caught and the fielder celebrates by throwing the ball away (not realising it was a no ball) and the batsmen just carry on running for runs while the said fielder embarrisingly runs after the ball :)

PY

International Coach
Didn't a guy a couple of seasons back catch one on the boundary off a no-ball and threw it in celebration over the boundary rope and the umpire awarded a six?

Not something I'd had have thought I'd 'invent' in my head but can't think for the life of me who it was.

chicane

State Captain
PY said:
Didn't a guy a couple of seasons back catch one on the boundary off a no-ball and threw it in celebration over the boundary rope and the umpire awarded a six?

Not something I'd had have thought I'd 'invent' in my head but can't think for the life of me who it was.
Happens all the time in Cricket 2004 :@

Sehwag309

Banned
I have to add something to the question, as the batsmen is not-out and will also be awarded the runs, can he still run for more runs after the catch has been taken

a massive zebra

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
I have to add something to the question, as the batsmen is not-out and will also be awarded the runs, can he still run for more runs after the catch has been taken
Yes, but he runs the risk of being run out in doing so.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Sehwag309 said:
Read my first post ;)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Batsmen can keep on running during an innings till the ball is 'dead' ie
1) is in the hands of either keeper or bowler with both batsmen safely in their respective creases

OR

2) the umpire has declared a boundary (4 or 6)

OR

3) a batsman has been declared out

4) or umpire calls off play for the day or for a break. Actually he shouldnt be calling off play til the ball is dead but umpires have been known to make this mistake and the ball is deemed dead if they do so even by mistake.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:

Similar - Brad Cheaty-Hodge carried the ball over the boundary in celebration during the 20:20 cup - Derbyshire maintained that it should have been a six, but most witnesses thought that BCH had the ball under control (i.e. the 'catch' had been taken) at the time.

Except Corky.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Paul Reiffel and Pedro Collins both managed a six-and-not-out in WC matches.

Craig

World Traveller
Yep.

I really your team was going to win.

But they never ran (Klusener and Boje) and it was game set and match.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was at that bloody game. I remember watching the ball fall into the fielder's hands and thinking, "Oh well, Klusener got us almost there, now Boje can see us home." Then I looked back at the pitch and saw that they hadn't crossed. Much loud swearing followed.

Of course, there was also 'that' over..............