• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A. Border vs S. Waugh - who was the greater Cricketer ?

Who was the Greater Cricketer ?

• Total voters

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Both tough as nails cricketers
Both successful leaders
Both dogged middle-order batsmen
Both could turn their arms over quite well

Taking all aspects into consideration, who do you believe was the greater cricketer ? With reasons.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Border was great. Waugh was great. The difference between the two is that I remember Waugh's career better. So I'll go with Waugh.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Close call IMO, a real Border-Waugh, so to speak.

But I'd say that AB was fractionally better.

subshakerz

International Coach
Border a slightly better captain, Waugh a slightly better batsman.

I find it hard to go past Waugh since he had so many key knocks under tough conditions and in important situations that defined Australia's success in the late 90s. I cant think of any major one from Border aside from those dynamite twin knocks against the WI to draw a test.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I always remember Garry Sobers saying when asked about Border that he wasn't a great batsman despite his heavy run scoring because he "tolerated" the bowling without trying to "dominate" it.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Border for helping turn a rubbish team into the start of a great one. Both superb bats who would give everything for the side.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Border was great. Waugh was great. The difference between the two is that I remember Waugh's career better. So I'll go with Waugh.
You must rate Ponting ahead of Bradman then....

This shouldn’t even be a contest. It’s a piss take thread.

Steve Waugh was a great cricketer. He was a flamboyant stroke maker as a young player who tempered his game to become a ruthless run making machine across all conditions. He was a handy part-time bowler who probably should have bowled more, a brilliant fielder and a ruthless captain who coveted the role then turned the best team in the world into a ruthless killing machine.

Allan Border was a great cricketer. He was a flamboyant stroke maker as a young player who tempered his game to become a ruthless run making machine across all conditions. He was a handy part-time bowler who probably should have bowled more, a brilliant fielder and a ruthless captain who never wanted the job but adapted to it and who dragged by sheer force of will one of the worst teams Australia ever had into all but the best side in the world.

Steve Waugh was a tough, uncompromising bastard who gave the opposition nothing. Allan Border taught Steve Waugh how to be Steve Waugh.

Never mind your Waughs, Chappells, Lillees, Pontings, McGraths or Warnes. Border is Australia’s greatest post-war cricketer by three lengths of the Flemington straight, and even though Waugh was a great cricketer, AB wins this wth a leg in the air.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steve Waugh played so many matchwinning innings

So many of his centuries are really famous ones too. The 200, the twin tons at Old Trafford(and several other Ashes ones) the 120* in the WC and his last ball four one at the SCG

Engle

State Vice-Captain
If the question asked was : Who was the greater All-Rounder ? SW may edge AB by dint of his 92 Test wkts over AB's 39 (batting being quite close).

However, when captaincy is thrown in, then the edge may shift towards AB.

AB had the tougher task, yet SW led and lorded over the cricket world like a Lloyd.