• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle For the Worst Opening Batsman of the 2000-Present Era.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Inspired by the openers in the team that I chose for the Sim League: Imran Nazir, Yasir Hameed, and Salman Butt.

They have been terrible for my team, so I thought of why can't we extrapolate and list more of them...

Howe_zat

Audio File
I had a look to see who each nation's worst opener has been in the time and came up with

Bangladesh - Mehrab Hossain
England - Adam Lyth
India - Aakash Chopra
New Zealand - Craig Cumming
Pakistan - Shan Masood
Sri Lanka - Lahiru Thirimanne
South Africa - Stiaan van Zyl
West Indies - Rajendra Chandrika
Zimbabwe - Stuart Matsikenyeri

The worst opener from Australia with more than a couple of innings is actually Ed Cowan, who averaged a just-about-acceptable 33. It's remarkable that not once in nearly 20 years have the Australians had a bloke come in at the top of the order for half a dozen tests and make a pig's ear of it, everyone else has had several.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know he's not even close to being the worst Bangladesh have had, but it's so tempting to say Imrul Kayes.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
The worst opener from Australia with more than a couple of innings is actually Ed Cowan, who averaged a just-about-acceptable 33. It's remarkable that not once in nearly 20 years have the Australians had a bloke come in at the top of the order for half a dozen tests and make a pig's ear of it, everyone else has had several.
Discounting Robbie Kerr who only played 2 Tests, you have to go back to Andrew Hilditch for someone with a lower average and he still averaged 31. Sub-30 you have to go back to John Dyson.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
It was unusual cirumstances and a one-off to be sure, but the worst batsman to open a Test innings this century would surely have to be Morne Morkel.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ persisted with Guptill in tests for far longer than they should have, quality limited overs opener but all he provided against the red ball was catching practice for the slips.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
When I saw ''worst'' I immediately thought, ''how many Cook batting partners can one nominate''?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
did johnson charles ever get a test? between him and james marshall imo
Nope. Charles never played a test thankfully. I found it so amusing whenever he did well because he was so obviously not even close to being international standard the rest of the time.