Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 1st grade? Crowds at Matador games?

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    What's the main reason for cricket in England being more unpopular than in Australia? I suppose it not being on FTA has an effect but even then some of the comments above suggests it's a lot more ingrained than that.
    I'm sure not being on FTA is a contributor, but you're right it goes back a lot further than that.

The English football season goes for 10 months of the year.......aint no sport in England ever going to compete against that for popularity. Not sure how many of you blokes have spent time over in the UK but you really have to have to be able to appreciate just how all consuming football is over there. Sure your AFL and NRL are huge deals here with massive interest, but their seasons are short by comparison with not much challenging the cricket in the summer months.

Plus as much as I hate to discuss this with Australians ......the weather. You have a long summer that is perfect for cricket participation and watching. England sometimes has June.
    You flew out to India
    When your country needed you
    Century on debut ,
    What a find.....

Na na na na na na na na na

Ali Ali Cook , Ali Cook , Ali Ali Cook

Na na na na na na na na na

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDpy9JPZH3E

Difference is accessibility in my opinion. In Aus: big stadia, relatively affordable tix, live free to air coverage for both home internationals and big bash. The game is available to virtually everyone.

Eng: tiny grounds, horrifically expensive tix. Unless you want to part with £60+ or pay for Sky Sports you will probably not have seen a single live delivery in over a decade. Casual and potential new fans have been eliminated and any real mainstream presence the game had seems to be long gone. It seems cricket has a reputation for being somewhat 'exclusive' here and sadly ECB have done more than anyone to perpetuate this view
    zorax likes this.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    What's the main reason for cricket in England being more unpopular than in Australia? I suppose it not being on FTA has an effect but even then some of the comments above suggests it's a lot more ingrained than that.
    Pay-walling it in 2005 is the main reason, but the dominance of the English Premier League here (also, ironically paywalled) does not help matters. Sport in Britain can be summarised thus,

Football, football, a bit of rugger over the winter (six nations), football, football, ashes (if it occurs), football, football, Olympics (if it occurs), football, football. It is not so much that sports like cricket and rugby take second place to football, but that football takes second, third and fourth place spots.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

I spent the summer in England in 2011, when the Poms beat India 4-0; it may have made them number one in the world after that series??

But you could count on one hand how many times during the summer the cricket was on the back page of the tabloids. Even in the "offseason" of June, let alone July when the transfer window opens, there's eight pages of football before you get a chance of seeing the cricket. With my job over there, spent a lot of time with the small papers in my hand so got a decent idea of it.

Rugby union definitely got more following/coverage than cricket. I was surprised about how big boxing was in England, and the coverage of cricket wasn't much more significant than boxing.

As a comparison, the coverage of the A-League here would be bigger in terms of pages than what cricket got in England.

I should point out that once you got up to Yorkshire where I was, and I think the more localised papers in general, it was a lot more focused on cricket.
    Last edited by vic_orthdox; 16-10-2017 at 05:47 AM.

One thing about the grade cricket "crowds" - the commitment to grade cricket means it's often a "young mans" game. We play 17 rounds, with seven of them two day games, that we have to squeeze into 26 weeks, including three weeks of finals. The competition has done a lot to reduce the amount of Sundays, but you can end up playing anywhere between four to ten during the season (if you have a really successful one). Add in three to four month long pre-seasons, training at least twice a week, and the commitment means that most people pull up stumps and move back to local cricket around 30.

So when people start having families, and their kids and families coming down to watch it's back at local cricket. And then the player will stay around there when they retire, because the local clubs have the bigger and better junior programs, so they want to help their child's team. You'll get better crowds at local cricket.

In terms of standard, I'd say grade/premier cricket is pretty much around County 2nd / Minor County standard.
    zorax likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Macca, what sort of rep workload is there in the late teens in Victoria? Young bloke and his mates who are all 15 are getting fried atm - Saturdays, Sunday reps starting next week, Monday academy, Tuesdays and Thursdays Grade practice and Wednesday rep practice. Once this rep stuff finishes then they go into Green Shield til the end of January and that will take over from the Wednesday rep stuff that’s on now. Then, from next year there’s only Saturday Cricket and the two nights practising. There’s no more age related cricket til Under 23s, unless you play State carnival stuff. Is it like that down there too?

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    One thing about the grade cricket "crowds" - the commitment to grade cricket means it's often a "young mans" game. We play 17 rounds, with seven of them two day games, that we have to squeeze into 26 weeks, including three weeks of finals. The competition has done a lot to reduce the amount of Sundays, but you can end up playing anywhere between four to ten during the season (if you have a really successful one). Add in three to four month long pre-seasons, training at least twice a week, and the commitment means that most people pull up stumps and move back to local cricket around 30.

So when people start having families, and their kids and families coming down to watch it's back at local cricket. And then the player will stay around there when they retire, because the local clubs have the bigger and better junior programs, so they want to help their child's team. You'll get better crowds at local cricket.

In terms of standard, I'd say grade/premier cricket is pretty much around County 2nd / Minor County standard.
    I'm a dinosaur and started in grade prior to the introduction of Saturday/Sunday fixtures

When they were first introduced, it was a bit of a novelty and many took the opportunity of having a weekend away and staying somewhere close to the ground

After a while, more fixtures were scheduled for Sundays and many with other commitments gave it away whilst others dropped down the grades so as not to be forced to pick and choose

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Does anyone know much about County sides playing Shield sides? Durham played an one-dayer and a three-day match against Victoria in September 1991,

Durham Cricekt Archive
    Durham Cricekt Archive

Victoria also played Essex on the same tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Macca, what sort of rep workload is there in the late teens in Victoria? Young bloke and his mates who are all 15 are getting fried atm - Saturdays, Sunday reps starting next week, Monday academy, Tuesdays and Thursdays Grade practice and Wednesday rep practice. Once this rep stuff finishes then they go into Green Shield til the end of January and that will take over from the Wednesday rep stuff that’s on now. Then, from next year there’s only Saturday Cricket and the two nights practising. There’s no more age related cricket til Under 23s, unless you play State carnival stuff. Is it like that down there too?
    Here the rep stuff is mainly away from the clubs now - state has been divided into sixteen regions (eight metro, eight country) and we have U14 / U16 / U18 representative stuff. For kids who miss out on these teams, there are other rep stuff (junior comp vs junior comp, etc.). All the representative cricket is really only played in the January holidays - the training would be on Wednesday nights, when I was coaching we'd probably have it once every two weeks, with some practice matches on Sunday.

So sounds like the workload isn't as full on here as it is for that year, but there's six years where you could be playing representative cricket.

We don't have the Under 23s (PGs yeah?) down here, which I think would be a good thing to bring in.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Yeah PGs it is. Cheers for that, it seems like there’s a lot more age based stuff up to the early 20s there than there is here. It’s actually ridiculous the amount of work they’re doing at 15/16, yet next year he workload will drop off the cliff.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information