Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 1st grade? Crowds at Matador games?

Most Queenslanders were calling for Hartley to be selected. People tend to know guys on the verge of selection but not the bit players. The big bash has helped raise awareness of domestic players too.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    This young bloke Shane Watson is tearing it up for Sutherland.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Tbf it's far more important and we'll respected by the public that you'd think. We recognise its importance but don't really watch our follow it.
    Which in all honesty is the same with all domestic FC cricket.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Interesting. What percentage of the public do you think could name 3 Shield Cricketers who have never represented Australia? I dont think most people I know could and a lot of them do like sport.

I said it before but the fact that our Australian players hardly play in our comps hurt so much.
    I think cricket fans who dont follow shield would still know most of the as they mostly all play in the big bash.

State Vice-Captain
    There is a lot more interest in cricket in aus than in england imo. Any big bash or australia game in any format is always on in the pubs. In england you have to literally beg the landlord to put it on and even then they usually say no as no one wants to watch it and they will switch it over as people want to watch something else. Even the ashes isnt automatically on unless you request it to be🙁

Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Flint View Post
    There is a lot more interest in cricket in aus than in england imo. Any big bash or australia game in any format is always on in the pubs. In england you have to literally beg the landlord to put it on and even then they usually say no as no one wants to watch it and they will switch it over as people want to watch something else. Even the ashes isnt automatically on unless you request it to be��
    **** no

Big Bash is maybe the exception where Aus shows more interest than England

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    I dunno, ratings are pretty decent for most series during school holidays
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

It's perhaps hard to compare because cricket isn't on free-to-air TV in the UK, but yeah judging on ratings alone it's much more popular in Australia. I think it's more tied to the summer culture here than in the UK too -- even people who don't like or follow cricket tend to know when it's on and vaguely how Australia are doing in the summer Tests. In terms of proper fans who'd consider sitting down and watching an entire session of a Test there's probably not much difference (people here are always quick to tell you how they don't like cricket or that Tests are boring or what have you), but in a broader sense I do think it's more embedded in Australia.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Which in all honesty is the same with all domestic FC cricket.
    Weird, because I follow county cricket and I know a lot of people who also follow country cricket, to the extent that they travel up and down the country following away games.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

In regards to test cricket, test cricket is about as popular as tiddlywinks in England since the greedy ECB decided to sell out to Sky in 2005. The sport was buried. Joe Root could walk down any high-street and he'd be an unknown. The English are obsessed with the football premier league.

Has anyone ever requested the cricket to be shown in a pub? It is hilarious. You hear comments by the regular old men drinkers like, ''what is this shite?'', ''I do not understand the rules for this load of bollocks'', and ''bunch of posh boys''.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    **** no

Big Bash is maybe the exception where Aus shows more interest than England
    No, you're way off the mark here mate.

I'm wondering if you're being fooled by the large travelling fan base that England enjoys and see an MCG test with 20,000 England supporters and think wow they really must be into their cricket over there. It's very much a niche sport in England that has a very small (but I guess hardcore) following.........the game has way way more general interest in it in Aus.
    You flew out to India
    When your country needed you
    Century on debut ,
    What a find.....

Na na na na na na na na na

Ali Ali Cook , Ali Cook , Ali Ali Cook

Na na na na na na na na na

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDpy9JPZH3E

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    Has anyone ever requested the cricket to be shown in a pub? It is hilarious. You hear comments by the regular old men drinkers like, ''what is this shite?'', ''I do not understand the rules for this load of bollocks'', and ''bunch of posh boys''.
    I can totally believe that. In contrast I was in an RSL club when David Warner was teeing off against India in that Perth test........when Warner got into the 80's just about everyone in the club stopped what they were doing and came over to the big screen to watch it. The old ****s even left their pokie machines for it.

Would never have happened in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    I can totally believe that. In contrast I was in an RSL club when David Warner was teeing off against India in that Perth test........when Warner got into the 80's just about everyone in the club stopped what they were doing and came over to the big screen to watch it. The old ****s even left their pokie machines for it.

Would never have happened in England.
    Once when I was watching it in a pub I believe one old bloke was mistaking the sport for an entirely different game as I kept hearing things like, ''I divint nah'' (I live in the north east) ''what a birdie or a bogey is''.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    What's the main reason for cricket in England being more unpopular than in Australia? I suppose it not being on FTA has an effect but even then some of the comments above suggests it's a lot more ingrained than that.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Well to be fair, whereas it's just depressing watching Australia play at times, it's always depressing and completely unexciting watching England play.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information