Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 1st grade? Crowds at Matador games?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    How many Shield sides are there, six? That is six overseas players for the entire competition if we are assuming a similar one-player-per-team ratio as the county championship. A reduction from 66 to 60 is hardly a big sacrifice considering the benefits of seeing a few big international names enlivening the competition. Trust me, it is brilliant being able to see international duels which you could not possibly see replicated internationally now for the price of a county championship ticket. You are really missing out here.
    So how are these big international names who don't even play domestic cricket in their own country because of international commitments going to suddenly become available then?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    So how are these big international names who don't even play domestic cricket in their own country because of international commitments going to suddenly become available then?
    Never underestimate the pull of the retired international.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Never overestimate the desire of the retired international to slog around a foreign country ahead of his own country (or alternatively a much lower workload for much larger reward).

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Never overestimate the desire of the retired international to slog around a foreign country ahead of his own country (or alternatively a much lower workload for much larger reward).
    I do not understand? If we are discussing English players, our season is at a completely different time from the Australian.

Everybody seems more concerned about the players and international teams but my argument pertained more to spectators. Kolpak debate aside, there is no doubt that our competition has benefited greatly from overseas signings.

International 12th Man
    Is that all it exists for, 'Australian selection'? Are there not fans of the state sides, who like the competition for what it is and not merely as some sort of 'nursery' for the international sides?
    I like watching shield cricket.

But it is a days drive just to get to watch an away game, plus accommodation. So I don't go.

It is annoying that they have been playing Vic home games in Alice Springs the last couple of years.
    S.Kennedy likes this.

Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    I do not understand? If we are discussing English players, our season is at a completely different time from the Australian.

Everybody seems more concerned about the players and international teams but my argument pertained more to spectators. Kolpak debate aside, there is no doubt that our competition has benefited greatly from overseas signings.
    Yes but the differences between County cricket and Australian State Cricket that affect the prospect of overseas players has been explained already in this thread.

- More money in County Cricket (easier to attract overseas players)
    - Higher standard of Shield cricket (harder to find available overseas players who would be worth paying/taking the spot of locals)

Well it is certainly a lot different from the championship - that is all I know. You may as well just run the competition behind a barbed wire fence and pit Team A verses Team B, and Team C v D - ''best players make Australian squad''.

That's just the way things are in Australia. Big Bash and Boxing Day Test are where the interest is, and occasionally other home International matches.

Well it is certainly a lot different from the championship - that is all I know. You may as well just run the competition behind a barbed wire fence and pit Team A verses Team B, and Team C v D - ''best players make Australian squad''.
    That's pretty much what already happens tbh.
    zorax likes this.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

That is a pretty sad domestic competition if it really is as clinical as people are suggesting.
    S.Kennedy likes this.
    https://elitecricketexchange.wordpress.com - Overseas Cricket Exchange Agency

It is such a shame. It has existed since 1892-3 - just slightly younger than the county championship.

It is such a shame. It has existed since 1892-3 - just slightly younger than the county championship.
    No one really cares tbh

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    No one really cares tbh
    I know. I get that feeling.

Tbf it's far more important and we'll respected by the public that you'd think. We recognise its importance but don't really watch our follow it.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Tbf it's far more important and we'll respected by the public that you'd think. We recognise its importance but don't really watch our follow it.
    Interesting. What percentage of the public do you think could name 3 Shield Cricketers who have never represented Australia? I dont think most people I know could and a lot of them do like sport.

I said it before but the fact that our Australian players hardly play in our comps hurt so much.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information