Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 1st grade? Crowds at Matador games?

State Vice-Captain
    All the tasmanians i can think of look a bit inbred, ponting bailey wade faulkner

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Has anyone said lack of foreign players is due to there only being 66 spots available compared to 198 in Wales and England.

The JLT (not Matador) is embarrasing that its not on TV. Even NBL and ALeague has a match on FTA each week.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Has anyone said lack of foreign players is due to there only being 66 spots available compared to 198 in Wales and England.
    How many Shield sides are there, six? That is six overseas players for the entire competition if we are assuming a similar one-player-per-team ratio as the county championship. A reduction from 66 to 60 is hardly a big sacrifice considering the benefits of seeing a few big international names enlivening the competition. Trust me, it is brilliant being able to see international duels which you could not possibly see replicated internationally now for the price of a county championship ticket. You are really missing out here.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

The county season is in the off season for more countries so there would be less talent available.

Also decreasing the pool by 6 is fairly large - you dont particularly want a young guy choosing AFL over Cricket due to lack of opportunities if behind an overseas pro.

From a fan perspective it would be nice though, particularly if the 6 players were household names with ability.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    What do you think of junior participation atm?
    Anecdotal evidence only, but Id say its dipping. PDCA is, I think, the biggest Junior cricket association in Australia and its numbers are a fair bit down on where they were over the decades.

The county season is in the off season for more countries so there would be less talent available.

Also decreasing the pool by 6 is fairly large - you dont particularly want a young guy choosing AFL over Cricket due to lack of opportunities if behind an overseas pro.

From a fan perspective it would be nice though, particularly if the 6 players were household names with ability.
    I do not see six as being that big. Also, you had overseas players once. Why once and not now? I'm sure there were bigger crowds when the Shield had overseas players during the '70s.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Anecdotal evidence only, but I’d say it’s dipping. PDCA is, I think, the biggest Junior cricket association in Australia and its numbers are a fair bit down on where they were over the decades.
    I've been wondering how accurate CAs claims of booming numbers are.
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    I do not see six as being that big. Also, you had overseas players once. Why once and not now? I'm sure there were bigger crowds when the Shield had overseas players during the '70s.
    6 is a low number in isolation but 60 players available for Australian selection is quite low.

Life would have been different in the 70s, no real need to compare.

6 is a low number in isolation but 60 players available for Australian selection is quite low.

Life would have been different in the 70s, no real need to compare.
    Is that all it exists for, 'Australian selection'? Are there not fans of the state sides, who like the competition for what it is and not merely as some sort of 'nursery' for the international sides?

Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Flint View Post
    I was only answering the guys original question mate����
    Yeah I was emphatically agreeing with you!

The requirements for an overseas player to be a good buy in the Shield are higher than in County cricket, given the strength of the competition. Therefore a lot of the overseas players that are automatic selections and dominant in county cricket would be borderline players in the Shield. It's all well and good keeping a young bloke out for someone who is going to be one of your strongest players, but it doesn't make sense to keep out a local for an overseas player who might be, at best, marginally better.

Overseas players in the Shield would need to be real stars IMO for it to work. Someone like Kumar Sangakkara or an English international maybe, but they those players are usually either on international duty or it wouldn't be worth their time. Sangakkara's not going to waste months to play Shield for meagre pay. (Pretty sure there's more money in country cricket too)
    Last edited by TheJediBrah; 12-10-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Is that all it exists for, 'Australian selection'? Are there not fans of the state sides, who like the competition for what it is and not merely as some sort of 'nursery' for the international sides?
    I for one follow Queensland closely and support them. But the Shield really is just a nursery for international cricketers.

The Big Bash is where you get the opportunity to see overseas pros and big crowds. It's played over the Christmas break.

I used to regularly go to Queensland ODD games when I was younger but now that they're all played in October and in locations not conducive to stopping off after work, combined with the young family means I don't go any more. While I was doing this we'd get crowds of 4000 on an average evening. Sometimes they would get up to 7000 and sometimes as few as 3000.

Crowds are typically much lower now due to the timing of the ODD season, fewer games played and the Big Bash replacing it as the "after work" and holiday match.

The answer to this is basically "not really", unfortunately.
    zorax likes this.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

This is all sad to hear. It just seems CA do not care about the state competitions and have thrown everything into the twenty20 stuff which the ECB seem to be now doing. In England we still have 'county cricket fans' - admittedly most of them elderly but not all - who travel to away games.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Yeah I was emphatically agreeing with you!

The requirements for an overseas player to be a good buy in the Shield are higher than in County cricket, given the strength of the competition. Therefore a lot of the overseas players that are automatic selections and dominant in county cricket would be borderline players in the Shield. It's all well and good keeping a young bloke out for someone who is going to be one of your strongest players, but it doesn't make sense to keep out a local for an overseas player who might be, at best, marginally better.

Overseas players in the Shield would need to be real stars IMO for it to work. Someone like Kumar Sangakkara or an English international maybe, but they those players are usually either on international duty or it wouldn't be worth their time. Sangakkara's not going to waste months to play Shield for meagre pay. (Pretty sure there's more money in country cricket too)
    We as county fans - and more so Surrey - were fairly blessed to have Sangakarra's presence. He is an one off in liking the first-class game as I cannot believe even what moneybags Surrey offer can match the T20 journeymen money. Still shocked he joined Durham for about two matches on some weird 'tune-up' deal 2014ish.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    I think cricket is just intrinsically not as appealing as most other sports to watch. It's slow paced and complicated. It's not going to compete well entertainment wise to things like movies, plays, concerts, or even watching other sports. This is why domestic cricket is never going to get the same attention as any other domestic leagues within the country. Unless you have a big-name cricketer playing, I don't think you can convince people to come watch. Although, it doesn't help that most domestic cricket is very poorly marketed anyways.

T20 is the only format you can really sell to the casual audience. You could bring in more crowds domestically if you had the International players taking part in the games, and put in more effort into promoting the games, but I guess most boards feel that there isn't much of a return on any investment into marketing. Best to let domestic cricket operate solely as a feeder league to the International side, while the T20 stuff is what you use to earn money.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

This is all sad to hear. It just seems CA do not care about the state competitions and have thrown everything into the twenty20 stuff which the ECB seem to be now doing. In England we still have 'county cricket fans' - admittedly most of them elderly but not all - who travel to away games.

We as county fans - and more so Surrey - were fairly blessed to have Sangakarra's presence. He is an one off in liking the first-class game as I cannot believe even what moneybags Surrey offer can match the T20 journeymen money. Still shocked he joined Durham for about two matches on some weird 'tune-up' deal 2014ish.
    In England, travelling means driving two hours. In Australia, travelling means jumping on a plane and booking a hotel.

You can drive from London to Edinburgh in half the time it takes to drive from Brisbane to Sydney.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information